The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 21, 2014, 02:05:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 02:05:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Sunflower, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: what to do for the winter solstice  (Read 2941 times)
sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 05:21:33 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 20, 2009, 03:45:11 pm »

Hey, I'm going to celebrate the winter solstice for the first time tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas!

We're planning to watch the sun rise, to "unplug" (no tv, computer, etc), donate to charity, go for a hike, and do something good for the environment. The theme of the solstice to me is hope, so we're trying to do something good for human kind, nature, and ourselves, to create hope... Maybe that sounds cheesy, I don't know.

I was hoping that maybe people with more experience would be able to give me some ideas, or educate me more on solstice, especially all the beliefs behind yule! Especially what I could do for the environment, because I've had trouble coming up with a really good idea. (Oh, and I'm currently unemployed sooooo... anything inexpensive would be good.)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 05:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 20, 2009, 04:34:05 pm »

Hey, I'm going to celebrate the winter solstice for the first time tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas!

Like many others here at the Cauldron, Sparrow, I stay up all night (since the winter solstice is the longest night of the year) to commemorate the solstice. In fact, for the last few years we've used the Cauldron as a forum to stay up all night together, in an event and thread dubbed "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice". The 2009 edition will begin Monday, December 21, and run all night through to the following morning (Tuesday, December 22). Look for it tomorrow in the Holidays and Festivals board.

We're planning to watch the sun rise, to "unplug" (no tv, computer, etc), donate to charity, go for a hike, and do something good for the environment. The theme of the solstice to me is hope, so we're trying to do something good for human kind, nature, and ourselves, to create hope... Maybe that sounds cheesy, I don't know.

I don't think that's cheesy at all. I think it's great. Though if you "unplug" the computer, you won't be able to join tomorrow night's cyber solstice celebration. But you can still do your own all-nighter. As someone who does it every year, I highly recommend it!

sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 05:21:33 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 20, 2009, 04:53:16 pm »

Like many others here at the Cauldron, Sparrow, I stay up all night (since the winter solstice is the longest night of the year) to commemorate the solstice. In fact, for the last few years we've used the Cauldron as a forum to stay up all night together, in an event and thread dubbed "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice". The 2009 edition will begin Monday, December 21, and run all night through to the following morning (Tuesday, December 22). Look for it tomorrow in the Holidays and Festivals board.

Yes, I am planning to stay up all night! I was under the impression that the longest night of the year was the night of the 20th, and on the 21st we gain three seconds of daylight (woo hoo!). Am I mistaken?
Keziah
Apprentice
Last Login:January 17, 2010, 11:05:04 am

Religion: Unity

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 20, 2009, 06:15:04 pm »

This is my first year celebrating the winter solstice, too, so I don't have many ideas, either...but I really like some of yours! Mind if I borrow them?

I was planning on TRYING to stay up all night, but I've been very sick the past week and bed-ridden, so I'm not sure how well I'll be able to do that. I also don't have room for a yule log, so I'm going to try and keep a candle burning for as long as I stay up. And make gingerbread men and apple cider.

No matter how much your heart is aching,
There is beauty in the breaking.
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 20, 2009, 07:10:15 pm »

Yes, I am planning to stay up all night! I was under the impression that the longest night of the year was the night of the 20th, and on the 21st we gain three seconds of daylight (woo hoo!). Am I mistaken?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think it might depend on where you are, since the longitude and latitude will affect when the night begins and ends relative to the actual moment of solstice. I did some digging online a couple of weeks ago, and from what I could see, for North America anyway, the longer of the two nights (by a second or two) was the night beginning Monday, December 21.

But while I always shoot for the longest of nights, I'm not too much of a stickler. That second or two or three is splitting hairs, and folks should celebrate on whichever night is best for them, IMHO. For Cauldron purposes, we're doing it this year on the night beginning Dec. 21. Please feel free to join us!

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 20, 2009, 07:16:15 pm »

I was planning on TRYING to stay up all night, but I've been very sick the past week and bed-ridden, so I'm not sure how well I'll be able to do that. I also don't have room for a yule log, so I'm going to try and keep a candle burning for as long as I stay up. And make gingerbread men and apple cider.

Keziah, if you're very sick, I strongly recommend you DON'T stay up all night. Sleep is by far the body's best way to heal itself, and you don't want to sabotage your recovery. There will be plenty of years for you to stay up for the winter solstice.

I keep a candle burning too. I have a black long-burning candle that will go all night and then some; I light it at the moment of sunset, and don't extinguish it until the sun returns. BUT if you're not going to stay up all night to keep an eye on it, DON'T keeping a candle burning all night; way too much of a fire hazard.

Better to go the tech route: Get yourself a special nightlight for the occasion, and keep it plugged in all night as a candle substitute.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 20, 2009, 07:18:46 pm »

I'm going to try and keep a candle burning for as long as I stay up.

I should have read more carefully. This is a wise plan--much better than a candle burning all night if you're not going to be awake to watch it.

Keziah
Apprentice
Last Login:January 17, 2010, 11:05:04 am

Religion: Unity

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 20, 2009, 08:25:00 pm »

I should have read more carefully. This is a wise plan--much better than a candle burning all night if you're not going to be awake to watch it.

Hee hee, yeah. No need to ever worry about fire hazards with me. I had night terrors for the first 13 years of my life of dying in fires...I'm terrified of anything fire-related. I refused to even light a candle in my room until I was 18.  Grin

And I think you're right on the sleep thing, too. I'm going to play it by ear. I guess because of the coughing or whatever, I get up a LOT during the night, anyways...maybe I can just check in then!

No matter how much your heart is aching,
There is beauty in the breaking.
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 07:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 21, 2009, 12:00:02 pm »

I was hoping that maybe people with more experience would be able to give me some ideas, or educate me more on solstice, especially all the beliefs behind yule! Especially what I could do for the environment, because I've had trouble coming up with a really good idea. (Oh, and I'm currently unemployed sooooo... anything inexpensive would be good.)

What you are planning to do sounds awesome. I finished carving a wooden rune set just around midnight, and I lit a candle in honor of my loved ones and ancestors. Today, I worked out, and plan on spending time helping my family clean. If weather permits, tonight I will have a bonfire with some friends, with a log coated in spices, and drink meade!

Have a happy winter solstice everyone!

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 10:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 21, 2009, 04:48:31 pm »

I plan on staying up all night, but not out of some need to connect myself to the solstice unfortunately--that's just part of the problem when you work third shift.  Sad

My plans for the solstice: Sitting around and laughing it up with my best friend. We may or may not cast a circle, although I don't feel a particular need to. I'm celebrating today as a feast of Aset and aside from a "Hey, how are you?" from me, she doesn't desire much else in recognition. My best friend might want to do the circle casting thing since this is a big holiday in her book (Greek/Celtic pagan), but chances are we'll sit around with some soda and pull out our Tarot decks when we feel "connected." That's about it.

This may not sound fun or useful or even remotely intriguing, but I think this is the best kind of communing with the gods ever!

Oh, yes, and there will be True Blood watching. Mm. True Blood.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)