The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 02, 2014, 12:26:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:26:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes, Sunflower
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Daily devotions in Asatru?  (Read 6227 times)
Earendil
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 31, 2010, 04:07:45 am
New Zealand New Zealand

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 27, 2010, 11:33:01 pm »

I am new to Asatru, and am wondering what Asatruar could do in honour of the gods/goddesses? I would like to do a daily offering or something similar every evening. Any suggestions?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 07:27:09 am
United States United States

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 28, 2010, 08:14:19 am »

I am new to Asatru, and am wondering what Asatruar could do in honour of the gods/goddesses? I would like to do a daily offering or something similar every evening. Any suggestions?

You should check out the forum dedicated to asatru lore. There are definitely a lot of wise people of all faiths on this board, but what it lacks is a strong biased niche base willing to tear each other to shreds over exact definitions of re-constructionist paths. It can be quite informative (and fun! Cheesy )

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 11:30:47 pm

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 28, 2010, 10:11:33 am »

I have never read anything in the Eddas or from any source that really calls for daily offerings to the gods.  TC's sister forum Asatru Lore does have a discussion about this, which was already mentioned, and it goes into the UPG aspects of this and the idea of over gifting to the gods. 

I tend to honor the gods on holy days and try honor my ancestors everyday.  Honoring my ancestors daily is my UPG that I have found a lot of Asatruar tend to honor their ancestors as well, but the frequency is the difference.

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 01:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 28, 2010, 01:00:23 pm »

I make my offerings weekly to gods, ancestors and wights. There's no particular reason it's weekly except daily felt like overkill (to me - YMMV) and like you I wanted to do something regularly. Gods and ancestors get booze usually, land wights get bird food and the house wight either gets booze or oats and honey.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 12:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: January 28, 2010, 01:42:07 pm »

I light a candle every morning and say a simple "Hey, what's up" to the gods, wights, and ancestors. Sometimes I might specifically pray or meditate, but not all that often. I also give offerings as inspiration strikes me... often milk, alcohol, or fruit.

As Casey said, the idea of daily devotionals is basically a modern one.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 10:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 30, 2010, 02:26:43 am »

I honor Frigga on Friday since it was technically named after her.  (It could also be named for Freyja too, but I don't honor her).  I also honor Skadhi on this day since I have other deities to honor other days of the week. 

I pour libations to them.  I also try to say some form of this prayer which is found in the Eddas which I've read can be said at the end of a blot or a sumbel (I'm not sure which). 

Hail to the Ăsir!
Hail to the Asyniur!
Hail to the bounteous earth!
Words and wisdom give to us noble twain,
and healing hands while we live.
---The Poetic Edda, Sigrdrifumal; Thorpe translation, stanza 4

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 05:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #6: January 30, 2010, 06:42:15 am »

Honestly you'd be better served honoring/sacrificing to the wights and ancestors. They have a much stronger impact on your daily life than the gods, who are understandably a little busy usually with seeing to the affairs of 9 worlds Smiley

The wights of your land and the ancestors of your line have a vested interest in your daily goings-on.

Adare
Master Member
Last Login:April 22, 2012, 06:10:16 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 30, 2010, 09:09:12 am »

This is to the Gods in general, not specifically Asatru. When I drank coffee daily I did a daily coffee libation first thing in the morning. I know it's not traditional, but never received any complaints Wink One words for the Gods in Celtic regions was 'to whom libations are poured'. Usually I take a minute and appreciate life, and occationally ask for help where needed. Now I'm preggers and coffee doesn't taste right, so a couple times a week I offer milk or honey, alcohol or fruit.

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
 -Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 07:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 30, 2010, 09:15:31 am »

Hail to the Ăsir!
Hail to the Asyniur!

That is a beautiful prayer. Thanks for giving me yet another reason to break out my own copy of the Eddas and actually use it. Smiley (Out of curiosity - how do you personally pronounce "Asyniur"?)

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: January 30, 2010, 03:03:22 pm »

Hail to the Ăsir!
Hail to the Asyniur!
By contrast, I have the Larrington translation:

"Hail to the Aesir! Hail to the goddesses!
Hail to the mighty, fecund earth!
Eloquence and native wit may you give to us two famous ones
and healing hands while we live!"

Err... I think I like Thorpe's better. lol.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 10:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 30, 2010, 04:51:11 pm »

That is a beautiful prayer. Thanks for giving me yet another reason to break out my own copy of the Eddas and actually use it. Smiley (Out of curiosity - how do you personally pronounce "Asyniur"?)

I don't.  I say Gods and Goddesses because I don't know how to pronounce Aesir or Asynjur. 

Could someone help us out please?  How do you pronounce these words? 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: January 30, 2010, 07:46:39 pm »

I don't.  I say Gods and Goddesses because I don't know how to pronounce Aesir or Asynjur. 

Could someone help us out please?  How do you pronounce these words? 
You can play the pronunciation on dictionary.com: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/aesir (click on the little speaker icon to the direct right of the word).

And Asynjur: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Asynjur

Gotta love technology! lol.

Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 07:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 30, 2010, 07:50:41 pm »

By contrast, I have the Larrington translation:

"Hail to the Aesir! Hail to the goddesses!
Hail to the mighty, fecund earth!
Eloquence and native wit may you give to us two famous ones
and healing hands while we live!"

Err... I think I like Thorpe's better. lol.

And in case someone is interested, I can translate to English the Spanish translation I have (D. A. de los RÝos, 1856). It goes like this:

"Hail to the Aesir! Hail to the Asyniur!
Hail to the Earth, who keeps all the creatures!
Give us the eloquence, the reason
and skilled hands to cure all the evils!"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)