The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 28, 2014, 07:32:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 07:32:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes, Sunflower
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do people still worship the Greek/Roman gods/goddesses?  (Read 8659 times)
GoldenWolf
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 30, 2010, 05:10:45 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 01, 2010, 06:01:34 am »

Happy Beltane by the way!

Anyway, I always assumed that no one worships (is that the right word to use?) the Greek or Roman gods any more. I don't know why, but I hear much more about the veneration of the Triple Goddess, Cernnunos and the Green Man than I do of, say, Venus, Apollo or Bacchus. But why is this? Why is that these gods, once so popular in Greece and Rome, have suddenly fallen in numbers of worshippers? The Greeks especially had deities for everything, from a god of silence to a god of dreams.

Although I always got the impression that the Celtic gods from Britain, France and Germany were "older" than the Greek/Roman ones, probably because they seem more primeval and ancient as opposed to sensual and mysterious.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 07:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: May 01, 2010, 06:11:55 am »

Anyway, I always assumed that no one worships (is that the right word to use?) the Greek or Roman gods any more.

You assume incorrectly.  As for whether that's the right word to use, I find it to be, although not everyone who honors the same gods I do might agree with me.  I don't have a good explanation for why we seem to be fewer--I started to say "well, because Wicca and things like it are more popular", but that's not an explanation, it's just saying the same thing you said in different words.  But we're here.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 05:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 01, 2010, 06:20:04 am »

Anyway, I always assumed that no one worships (is that the right word to use?) the Greek or Roman gods any more. I don't know why, but I hear much more about the veneration of the Triple Goddess, Cernnunos and the Green Man than I do of, say, Venus, Apollo or Bacchus. But why is this? Why is that these gods, once so popular in Greece and Rome, have suddenly fallen in numbers of worshippers? The Greeks especially had deities for everything, from a god of silence to a god of dreams.

Although I always got the impression that the Celtic gods from Britain, France and Germany were "older" than the Greek/Roman ones, probably because they seem more primeval and ancient as opposed to sensual and mysterious.

I suspect it has to do with what's sexy right now.  At the moment, that's the Celtic stuff, so that's the stuff you see everywhere.  Which doesn't make the serious believers any less serious, but does put a lot of "ooooh, Celtic" stuff out there to sift through.

It's been the Greek/Roman gods in the past, as well as Egyptian, Eastern .. the fads change.  The believers don't.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:47:57 am

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 01, 2010, 06:20:50 am »

Anyway, I always assumed that no one worships (is that the right word to use?) the Greek or Roman gods any more..

Happy Beltaine! Sorry, but you are incorrect-my Patron Deity is Hades...... As far as I am aware, He is still Greek.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:18:30 pm

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 01, 2010, 06:23:16 am »

As far as I am aware, He is still Greek.

Lol. Makes it sound like he could apply for a change of citizenship. Hmmmmm...

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
GoldenWolf
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 01, 2010, 06:39:50 am »

Happy Beltaine! Sorry, but you are incorrect-my Patron Deity is Hades...... As far as I am aware, He is still Greek.
Really? You see I find that quite unusual and interesting that someone such as yourself would choose such a god as Hades as their patron god. There's nothing wrong with that! I don't want people to think I'm saying "The Greek gods are dead and the Celtic gods are too popular." Embarrassed
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2014, 05:58:10 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: May 01, 2010, 06:57:55 am »

Anyway, I always assumed that no one worships (is that the right word to use?) the Greek or Roman gods any more. I don't know why, but I hear much more about the veneration of the Triple Goddess, Cernnunos and the Green Man than I do of, say, Venus, Apollo or Bacchus. But why is this?

There are still worshipers of many deities that you don't find books in the Pagan/Occult section of the bookstore. There are many several reaons. One is that most of the people buying books from there aren't followers of these gods. There are plenty of books of Greek, Roman, Northern European, and Egyptian Gods and Religion -- they are just found in the history, literature, archaeology, etc. parts of the bookstore or library. After all, actual religious texts from theses cultures are available and quite a bit of academic research has been done (and published) on their beliefs and practices.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 01, 2010, 07:25:19 am »

Really? You see I find that quite unusual and interesting that someone such as yourself would choose such a god as Hades as their patron god.

There's no offence taken here, but please explain what you mean by it?

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
GoldenWolf
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 01, 2010, 08:14:33 am »

There's no offence taken here, but please explain what you mean by it?
Well Hades is the god of the Underworld and I just find it interesting how people take a liking to different gods. A few years ago I would've thought, "Why on earth would anyone honour the evil guy from Hercules?", but now I'm more accepting of religions and the idea of multiple gods I find it really fascinating. If you don't mind me asking, what drew you to Hades in particular?
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 02, 2014, 02:17:37 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: May 01, 2010, 08:25:32 am »

Well Hades is the god of the Underworld and I just find it interesting how people take a liking to different gods. A few years ago I would've thought, "Why on earth would anyone honour the evil guy from Hercules?", but now I'm more accepting of religions and the idea of multiple gods I find it really fascinating. If you don't mind me asking, what drew you to Hades in particular?

I would like to point out that in the original myths, Hades isn't evil.  In fact compared to Zeus, Hera, Ares, Apollo, Aphrodite, etc., he was the GOOD one.

And please do not mention that horrible Disney movie in my presense....EVER!

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 01, 2010, 09:39:54 am »

But why is this? Why is that these gods, once so popular in Greece and Rome, have suddenly fallen in numbers of worshippers?

Because Celtic-centric Wicca has skyrocketed in popularity over the past couple of decades. You don't hear about Hellenismos or Kemeticism on TV these days; it's usually Wicca, which they usually call Paganism. I know of people who call themselves druids and shamans but actually practice Wicca.

This doesn't mean that numbers of worshipers of Greek and Roman deities have fallen, but merely that numbers of worshipers of Celtic deities have risen.

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:July 24, 2014, 02:43:10 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: May 01, 2010, 01:12:06 pm »

I would like to point out that in the original myths, Hades isn't evil.  In fact compared to Zeus, Hera, Ares, Apollo, Aphrodite, etc., he was the GOOD one.

He's got a long, hard job to do and he keeps on doing it despite the fact that nobody gives Him any thanks or any credit.  Sigh.  Mortals.  What can you do?

(My sister is one of His.  So I paraphrase her.)

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 06:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 01, 2010, 02:22:10 pm »

Does anyone else suspect the lack of "popularity" is partly due to a lot of the feminist goddess focused pagans of the early neo-pagan movement (and possibly still today) looking at the Greek, and especially Roman, cultures as "bastions of the patriarchy"? 

I think I may have had an unconscious bias along those lines myself.

It was the Greek gods who first captured my imagination as a young Christian girl and made me wish hard polytheism was an option.  Still, it wasn't until after many many years of being a pagan and working with various Celtic, Norse and neopagan deities - with varying degrees of success - that it finally hit me where I'd always belonged.  Being exposed to the large number of Hellenic pagans here on TC certainly laid some of that groundwork too.  Not to appear too impressionable...
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2014, 05:58:10 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: May 01, 2010, 04:22:54 pm »

Does anyone else suspect the lack of "popularity" is partly due to a lot of the feminist goddess focused pagans of the early neo-pagan movement (and possibly still today) looking at the Greek, and especially Roman, cultures as "bastions of the patriarchy"? 

I don't know for sure, but Greek and Roman deities seemed more popular in the US (even if worshiped in a generic Pagan manner) before Feminist Wicca burst onto the scene in a big way.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 01, 2010, 11:10:27 pm »

Please don't forget that Hades is the God of all that is from under the ground, not just of the Underworld. One of the many. many reasons that I worship Hades is because I am a Crystal Witch. Crystals technically belong to Him.

He is a gentle, kind and loving Deity who, thanks to popular cultural misconceptions, is greatly misrepresented and very much misunderstood. Why should he go around arranging to kill everyone when everyone is going to Him eventually anyway?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)