The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 23, 2014, 11:22:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 11:22:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes, Sunflower
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Cat Goddess?  (Read 8834 times)
irisheyes90
Last Login:January 24, 2011, 06:19:05 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 16, 2011, 06:59:18 pm »

Okay, so I have been practicing my Pagan belief system for almost six years now and have recently come to a bit of a snag. I am formerly been drawn to worship the God and Goddess as just faceless deities, but my spirit urges me to connect with a Goddess I see in my dreams and meditations. I tend to have a rather Celtic flair in my path and so what I am seeing and what I know are conflicting a little bit right now. I see a Cat Goddess, she is VERY much like Bast of the Egyptian pantheon, only it is not her. She holds no Egyptian symbolism or regalia. She looks more Celtic, she holds more celtic symbolism, but she is like an echo of Bast.

I have looked and looked in countless books and websites for information about a Celtic Cat Goddess, but I can't find any. And any small fragments about cats in Celtic Mythology have little to do with what this Goddess represents or says when she comes to me. I don't really know how I feel about mixing pantheons, because I feel that they are like families and mixing Egyptian with Celtic is a bit odd for me. I'm just unsure about how to go about this. Whenever I ask if I am supposed to adopt a more Egyptian path she tells me no, but then when I ask her how to incorporate her into my Celtic Path she is silent and just stares at me like I already know. And perhaps I do, but I am not conscious of it. I am asking for some outside perspective here. It would be greatly appreciated. :-) Thanks!

-Brian
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:26:04 am by RandallS, Reason: Subject Changed » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 20, 2014, 06:52:26 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: January 17, 2011, 07:27:01 am »

Okay, so I have been practicing my Pagan belief system for almost six years now and have recently come to a bit of a snag.

Welcome to TC, Brian. I changed the subject of this thread to one more likely to get a helpful response.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 07:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: January 17, 2011, 07:45:37 am »

I see a Cat Goddess, she is VERY much like Bast of the Egyptian pantheon, only it is not her. She holds no Egyptian symbolism or regalia. She looks more Celtic, she holds more celtic symbolism, but she is like an echo of Bast.

Hi,

and have you thought of the possibility that it is in fact Bast, but that your mind is so Celtic focused, so that the things you interpret look like Celtic?

Just my .02 cent, because it is always an option that things are not what they seem. Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
irisheyes90

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 17, 2011, 08:27:22 am »

Hi,

and have you thought of the possibility that it is in fact Bast, but that your mind is so Celtic focused, so that the things you interpret look like Celtic?

Just my .02 cent, because it is always an option that things are not what they seem. Wink

I had thought about that, but whenever I try to work with Bast as the Egyptian Goddess in mythology the Cat Goddess I see fades away, but no other Goddess comes forth. I've been doing a lot of research and meditation since I posted this and I think I MAY have figured something out. I thought about how mixing pantheons was seen as "bad" but in reality that cannot be true, because many of the deities we know and worship are modified from their original incarnations due to the intermingling of cultures. So what I think I have to do is find a similar goddess in the Celtic Pantheon to help me relate Bast to a more Celtic path of worship. I know that some people may disagree with this, but I think that is what I am supposed to do. I don't know completely yet, only time will tell.
irisheyes90

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 17, 2011, 08:27:44 am »

Welcome to TC, Brian. I changed the subject of this thread to one more likely to get a helpful response.

Thank you!
Sabine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 08:46:56 am

Religion: Christian in faith, Pagan in practice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 17, 2011, 08:36:23 am »

Okay, so I have been practicing my Pagan belief system for almost six years now and have recently come to a bit of a snag. I am formerly been drawn to worship the God and Goddess as just faceless deities, but my spirit urges me to connect with a Goddess I see in my dreams and meditations. I tend to have a rather Celtic flair in my path and so what I am seeing and what I know are conflicting a little bit right now. I see a Cat Goddess, she is VERY much like Bast of the Egyptian pantheon, only it is not her. She holds no Egyptian symbolism or regalia. She looks more Celtic, she holds more celtic symbolism, but she is like an echo of Bast.

-Brian
Could she be Norse? Freyja rode in a chariot pulled by two cats. Could that be what you're seeing? Just guessing!

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 10:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 17, 2011, 10:18:41 am »

Deities can appear in dreams however they want.  This could be a Celtic goddess whose sacred animals are cats or this could be Bast or this could be someone else entirely. 

There are many people who worship deities from different pantheons and many do keep the practices separate. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2014, 02:01:08 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 17, 2011, 10:29:07 am »

I have a few somewhat scattered thoughts here.

First, as SatAset mentioned, though we may be more familiar with certain imagery or associations for particular deities, they are hardly limited to them. It could be Bast coming to you in a way that is more comfortable for you (ie in Celtic trappings) or it could be a Celtic goddess or someone else entirely.

The Celts are known for their fostering; is it possible that there is something you could learn from this (potentially) non-Celtic cat goddess by working with her for a time?

I don't personally know of any Celtic deities even slightly associated with cats, personally, though my knowledge is more focused on the Irish than any other of the Celtic cultures. I do associate Brighid with house cats, but that is strictly UPG and not held up in any of the extant lore.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
irisheyes90

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 17, 2011, 03:56:03 pm »

I have a few somewhat scattered thoughts here.

First, as SatAset mentioned, though we may be more familiar with certain imagery or associations for particular deities, they are hardly limited to them. It could be Bast coming to you in a way that is more comfortable for you (ie in Celtic trappings) or it could be a Celtic goddess or someone else entirely.

The Celts are known for their fostering; is it possible that there is something you could learn from this (potentially) non-Celtic cat goddess by working with her for a time?

I don't personally know of any Celtic deities even slightly associated with cats, personally, though my knowledge is more focused on the Irish than any other of the Celtic cultures. I do associate Brighid with house cats, but that is strictly UPG and not held up in any of the extant lore.

I thought about the learning from a non-celtic deity thing as well and that is a very good possibility. But I like your latter ideas more, or rather than like them they feel more right to me. I know that many of the cultures would borrow or "adopt" deities into their culture if they became fond of them. I think that since I work so strongly with Cats and with a Celtic flair that the Divine is trying to get me to incorporate them both.

What really strikes me as interesting is your little comment about Brighid. I have been seeing her occasionally too, and when I compare things that they are both associated with I begin to see multiple connections. So perhaps that is where I must go in this search. I don't exactly know what the answer is yet but thank you everyone for your very valuable input!
UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 01:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 20, 2011, 01:05:04 am »

I do associate Brighid with house cats, but that is strictly UPG and not held up in any of the extant lore.
That's a personal gnosis I would trust, being that she happens to be a patroness of small domestic animals, and even more wild&larger sorts in other regions Wink

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 05:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 22, 2011, 08:25:32 am »

She looks more Celtic, she holds more celtic symbolism, but she is like an echo of Bast.

I have looked and looked in countless books and websites for information about a Celtic Cat Goddess, but I can't find any. And any small fragments about cats in Celtic Mythology have little to do with what this Goddess represents or says when she comes to me.
Could you be more specific as to which symbolism appears with her and what characteristics she shows towards you?

I've just looked into what the Carr-Gomms write about cats in their 'Druid Oracle' (it's not academic, but sometimes a good starting point), they claim that there's a ton of cat lore and what they wrote is a bit too much to sum up here. There's a lot of stuff that's not connected to specific deities like the cat as totem animal of certain clans, usage of cats in oracles etc.

On the subject of deities they just claim that the cat was 'sacred to the Goddess'. They cite (what they claim to be) a traditional Irish proverb: "It was Brighid's cat that eat the bacon" and claim that in Irish tradition Brighid had a cat as companion.

In Welsh tradition they claim that Ceridwen in her manifestation of the great sow Henwen gave birth to a wolf-cub, an eagle, a bee and a kitten, which grew into the destructive Palug Cat.

I have no idea whether those claims are true and they don't cite sources. But maybe one of them might spark an idea or could be a starting point for further research?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 05:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 24, 2011, 09:18:30 pm »

I see a Cat Goddess, she is VERY much like Bast of the Egyptian pantheon, only it is not her. She holds no Egyptian symbolism or regalia. She looks more Celtic, she holds more celtic symbolism, but she is like an echo of Bast.

I'm going to have to second whoever said that it's probably Bast herself, coming at you in a way that you'll be comfortable with.

My husband works with Egyptian Gods. He is dedicated to Bast. She ended up adopting me. I'm not sure how he sees her, but she comes to me rather like a very large black housecat. And by very large, I'm talking labrador retriever size. I don't see any Egyptian trappings on her, despite the fact that we have two Bast statues in the house where she's wearing Egyptian ornamentation.

When in doubt about who a God actually is, I find it most helpful to just ask that God directly. Most of them aren't interested in riddles... if they want you, they'll make their want known pretty directly.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Odonata
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 05, 2011, 10:05:56 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan, pre christian celtic ireland

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 04, 2011, 02:06:30 pm »

I have looked and looked in countless books and websites for information about a Celtic Cat Goddess, but I can't find any.

as far as i have found or known there is no celtic revrence of cats. they are in no asociation to the devine and neither are they regarded as sacred animals, by which a god or goddess may present themself.
however domestic cats in asociation to the goddess (i suspect Brighid- as a representation of domestic animals) were adopted by many clans as a family totom. this is largly in scotland.
if you have an afinity for cats it could be a guide, presenting itself  in an inviting menifestation?
Or if you have any ansestural ties to celtic nations, it could be an ansestural guide donning the guise of their totom animal.

at best for cats in celtic lands , the normans made window coverings from their intestine...

and any refrence, prior to roman briton, to cats would be in refrence to the larger wild cats of the area
some accounts for the British isle celts ,do asociate Lugh with the Lynx - prehaps a lesser know goddess was also in this animals asociation and is worth exploring ?

Welsh)  Ceridwen, is said to have had her bidding carried out by white cats,

there is cause to be weary , if you feel this is definatly a celtic being, and infact not that of another pantheon, as cats are really never good news by celtic means.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)