The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 24, 2014, 09:24:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 09:24:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Sunflower, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Does giving your hair to someone mean to you?  (Read 10411 times)
Asharti
Apprentice
Last Login:February 12, 2009, 11:29:11 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Pagan

I am bound to the arrow maker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 19, 2007, 10:02:50 pm »

Merry Meet!

Well i've been thinking about this, the giving of hair to someone else. I gave a lock of my hair to my partner the first time I went to his house, he was completly blown away by it, like i was giving him a part of my soul...I was in this state of calm and complete trust, i dont ever regret giving it to him. I know he would never use it to hurt me, i guess in a way it showed him how much i trusted him so early on...but my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable? I think now in some ways it was almost like i said 'i love you' without actually saying it...

Blessed Be!
Love & Light!
Asharti

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 05:02:20 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 19, 2007, 10:14:19 pm »

Merry Meet!

Well i've been thinking about this, the giving of hair to someone else. I gave a lock of my hair to my partner the first time I went to his house, he was completly blown away by it, like i was giving him a part of my soul...I was in this state of calm and complete trust, i dont ever regret giving it to him. I know he would never use it to hurt me, i guess in a way it showed him how much i trusted him so early on...but my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable? I think now in some ways it was almost like i said 'i love you' without actually saying it...

Blessed Be!
Love & Light!
Asharti

I think it sounds like you used your hair in a beautiful symbolic way. I myself love the idea, especially when people donate to cancer patients,etc. I myself have never done this and the only time I could see someone using it for harm, I couldn't imagine them doing so if someone gave it to them of their own free will, espeially if it were in such a beautiful way as you did.

I guess if I were to, it would be to put it into something I had magically crafted for them. maybe I should give that symbology more thought,lol.
Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 07:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #2: July 19, 2007, 10:29:41 pm »

Merry Meet!

Blessed Be!
Love & Light!
Asharti

Magically I use hair for protection and claiming.  The only time I've given it away wasn't to my mate, it was to my mother.  Actually, it was to the cancer society's wig program, a couple of months ago.  Me who hadn't cut my hair since I was twelve, and who hadn't had it actually short since I was six, now wears a two-inch shaggy halo.

It wasn't given as part of ritual, but it is strange how many of my magical and religious practices it impacts on.  No binding and loosening of braids to start and release spells, no communing with wind through the feel of my hair, none of a myriad of small acts to do with hair in general that are details of other things.

I don't think of parts of me in a voodoo/hoodoo manner, though.  Once it is cut off it is no longer part of me unless that was the intention during the cutting.  I know people who have given locks of their hair as a romantic gesture, and the act has a long history and symbolism, as well as mothers who have kept locks from the first cutting, etc..  These things just never meant anything to me.

Absent
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:32:16 pm by Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED) » Logged

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 11, 2011, 08:28:34 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 19, 2007, 11:02:19 pm »

but my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable? I think now in some ways it was almost like i said 'i love you' without actually saying it...

When I read the topic my immediate reaction was "Not just no, HELL NO!".

A little background:  I've always worn my hair shaggy as a kid.  In high school I'd compromise and cut it for the Christmas holidays to avoid the family hazing and scorning for not wearing my hair in a proper male fashion, i.e. almost a military buzz cut.  When I moved out I stopped cutting it.  Now, over 13 years later I'm quite happy with it's length.

I've been scorned by others who were involved with the wigs for cancer patients programs.  I was told I should donate my hair and when I said no they got argumentative.  For whatever reason they were unable to accept that I wanted to keep my hair attached and treated me as if I were being mean and selfish.  All I had said was no.  No explanation.

My opinion is why should I remove a part of my body for another persons wishes no matter what they are?  My hair is intimately bound up (pun intended) with my identity.  I'm not going to compromise my identity for someone else nor will I remove part of myself for their comfort whether it be physical or esoteric.

Sorry, I don't mean to be quite so adamant here.  It's kind of a touchy subject for me.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:April 23, 2014, 05:13:58 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 19, 2007, 11:47:06 pm »

Sorry, I don't mean to be quite so adamant here.  It's kind of a touchy subject for me.

As a member of the "it's just hair" crowd, I don't fully understand where you're coming from, but I respect it.  Of course, as a person with Extremely Curly HairTM, I hate my hair too long.  It worked on Jimmy Hendrix, but not me.  Wink

Brina
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 03:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 19, 2007, 11:50:37 pm »

Magically I use hair for protection and claiming.  The only time I've given it away wasn't to my mate, it was to my mother.  Actually, it was to the cancer society's wig program, a couple of months ago.  Me who hadn't cut my hair since I was twelve, and who hadn't had it actually short since I was six, now wears a two-inch shaggy halo.

It wasn't given as part of ritual, but it is strange how many of my magical and religious practices it impacts on.  No binding and loosening of braids to start and release spells, no communing with wind through the feel of my hair, none of a myriad of small acts to do with hair in general that are details of other things.

I don't think of parts of me in a voodoo/hoodoo manner, though.  Once it is cut off it is no longer part of me unless that was the intention during the cutting.  I know people who have given locks of their hair as a romantic gesture, and the act has a long history and symbolism, as well as mothers who have kept locks from the first cutting, etc..  These things just never meant anything to me.

Absent

I would like to donate hair or organs for that matter but just can't bring myself to do it! Am I being too superstitious about it? Part of me would love to and part of me is terrified at the thought!
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 05:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: July 20, 2007, 12:18:33 am »

When I moved out I stopped cutting it.  Now, over 13 years later I'm quite happy with it's length.

Oak, may I ask how long your hair is?  Mine is past my waist and it's taken me about 10 years to get it that long again.  It's so long that, sometimes, I hate having to deal with it during the summertime but as long as I can get it up and off my neck, I do ok with it.

What do you do with your hair besides the usual brushing and washing?  Like, f'ex, when ya head out for work...that sort of thing.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Asharti
Apprentice
Last Login:February 12, 2009, 11:29:11 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Pagan

I am bound to the arrow maker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 20, 2007, 12:20:29 am »

A little background:  I've always worn my hair shaggy as a kid.  In high school I'd compromise and cut it for the Christmas holidays to avoid the family hazing and scorning for not wearing my hair in a proper male fashion, i.e. almost a military buzz cut.  When I moved out I stopped cutting it.  Now, over 13 years later I'm quite happy with it's length.

I've been scorned by others who were involved with the wigs for cancer patients programs.  I was told I should donate my hair and when I said no they got argumentative.  For whatever reason they were unable to accept that I wanted to keep my hair attached and treated me as if I were being mean and selfish.  All I had said was no.  No explanation.

My opinion is why should I remove a part of my body for another persons wishes no matter what they are?  My hair is intimately bound up (pun intended) with my identity.  I'm not going to compromise my identity for someone else nor will I remove part of myself for their comfort whether it be physical or esoteric.

Im not saying your doing it for another person, your just doing it well cause you trust that person...he in turn gave me a lock of his hair, i keep it in my jewel box, the one that i gave him he inter-twined with a lock of his two ribbons and wax and stayes on his alter in a little pot with a Pentagram on top.
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:January 04, 2014, 06:22:47 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 20, 2007, 05:43:45 am »

but my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable?

I haven't given my hair away yet, but I did request a lock of hair from my boyfriend, which I placed in my poison ring. Reasons many and varied which I won't go into, but unfortunately my poison ring came open at one point and the hair fell out. I've yet to get a new lock from him, and something a bit more secure to put it in.

If I were to give a lock of my hair away it would probably only be to him, because he's the only one I could see wanting it for any reason, and he's the only person I trust. (Aside from my mom, who still has my baby hair somewhere...). I would donate it, but seriously no one would want it--it tangles way too easily! Not to mention the thought of a part of me on someone else I don't know is kind of creepy to me....

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 11, 2011, 08:28:34 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 20, 2007, 06:25:59 am »

Oak, may I ask how long your hair is? 

I've kept it trimmed every so often in order to get rid of dead/split ends so right now  ::reaches behind back to measure::  it's in a pony tail which hangs past the ends of my shoulder blades.  It needs to be trimmed again as the last couple of inches are too thin.

Quote from: Celtee
What do you do with your hair besides the usual brushing and washing?  Like, f'ex, when ya head out for work...that sort of thing.
Nothing special.  Just wash it once a week and keep it in a pony tail at work unless a headache precludes it.  I'll ponytail and braid it if I'm working in the yard or with power tools but that's really about it.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 01:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 20, 2007, 10:07:59 am »

You weren't the only one with that reaction lol (Yes, I have issues, and apparently they are showing today Wink )

Im not saying your doing it for another person, your just doing it well cause you trust that person...

For completeness, however, there is one person for whom I'd make an exception - only he'd never ask.

violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 20, 2007, 11:27:28 am »

but my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable? I think now in some ways it was almost like i said 'i love you' without actually saying it...

I have ex-roommates and relatives who would argue that I give my hair to them all the time because I shed like mad. My hair is chemically black, too, so it shows up really, really well on bathroom floors and sinks and such.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 07:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: July 20, 2007, 11:35:18 am »

my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you? did they ever use it in a harmful way? where you a little bit scare4 giving it to them? leaving yourself vunrable?

A lock of my hair?  I haven't, won't, wouldn't, but just because on that level hair is pretty "meh, whatever" to me.  It's dead tissue.  I shed it every day and it gets everywhere without my even trying to give it to anyone.  Giving out locks of hair has always been a pretty null issue to me; it just doesn't hold any meaning.

That's a lock of hair, though.  My hair is currently tailbone-length.  Its length has not been shorter than shoulder-length since I was probably about 8 years old (so not quite 20 years).  Long hair is a huge part of my visual identity and is something that on an emotional level matters a lot to me.  ("What are you going to do with all that hair when the baby comes?"  *stony Look*  "Braid.  It.")  So chopping it off wholesale instead of giving just a lock would indeed be a kind of sacrifice for me, and I have actually used it that way on a couple of occasions when I donated the chopped-off part to the people who do the wigs for sick kids.  (I had it cut off mid-back and still made the minimum donation level with a little to spare...  Took me just 2 years to grow it back.  I have to admit my hair scares me sometimes, LOL.)  But that's not really "giving it to someone" in the sense you mean, I think.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 07:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #13: July 20, 2007, 11:37:17 am »

I have ex-roommates and relatives who would argue that I give my hair to them all the time because I shed like mad. My hair is chemically black, too, so it shows up really, really well on bathroom floors and sinks and such.

Exactly.  Mine's not as dark, just a kind of golden-brown, but the 36"+ length tends to make up for that in the visibility department.  Hair everywhere has become a fact of life in our household...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 03:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 20, 2007, 11:41:15 am »

Merry Meet!

Well i've been thinking about this, the giving of hair to someone else. I gave a lock of my hair to my partner the first time I went to his house, he was completly blown away by it, like i was giving him a part of my soul...I was in this state of calm and complete trust, i dont ever regret giving it to him. I know he would never use it to hurt me, i guess in a way it showed him how much i trusted him so early on...but my question is would YOU give your hair to someone, have you?

I don't give my hair away.  Not casually.  I could see myself whacking it all off for "Locks of Love"...but at that point it is merely a raw material for working, not "mine."  Since I use hair of loved ones in various spells and find such workings effective, I don't even put hair from my brushes where it could be picked up and taken.  And when I knit, since I only knit for loved ones, I DO knit in a strand of my hair...that is as close as it comes to 'giving' my hair.  Since the sweater recipients are not told of this, however, I suppose it doesn't matter to them.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)