The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 24, 2014, 10:14:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:14:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Sunflower, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Magicka School  (Read 6993 times)
Letheus
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 09:16:36 am
United States United States

Religion: Seeker while leaning more towards Wicca:)

He did WHAT with the Sage?0.o

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 27, 2007, 09:45:30 am »

Hey I just was checking out this Wicca school and was curious if anyone had heard of it...Its called Magicka School.....

~~Ethan~~

As long as you do what feels right, you can do no wrong.

Do what thou wilt but harm none!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 07:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: November 27, 2007, 09:49:25 am »

Hey I just was checking out this Wicca school and was curious if anyone had heard of it...Its called Magicka School.....

The name doesn't ring a bell with me personally, although I'm not up on the various schools and things very much so that's not surprising.  Do they have a web site that we could look at?  That might ring a bell with people who might have heard of it, but just don't remember the name.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Letheus
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 27, 2007, 01:51:39 pm »

The name doesn't ring a bell with me personally, although I'm not up on the various schools and things very much so that's not surprising.  Do they have a web site that we could look at?  That might ring a bell with people who might have heard of it, but just don't remember the name.
heres the site

http://www.magickaschool.com

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 07:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 27, 2007, 02:03:50 pm »

It looks like it might be worth a shot, for the free courses. I would be VERY CAREFUL if you were going to spend any money on anything like this. If you DO want to shell out the bucks, DEFINITELY try the free membership first. (And, if they actually deliver what they promise, it looks like the free membership is actually pretty good. Way more than I've seen offered elsewhere.)

I would remember, though, that most of these places don't teach anything that can't be found elsewhere, with a little research. The free membership would be great for having everything in one place and a "curriculum". But other than that, I don't see the point.

Also, online schools are notorious for turning out "paper priestesses" with no real useful background. Yes, you learn the history/paperwork end of it. But just because you can describe to a T how to cast a circle, doesn't mean you can actually DO it. Not that the online schools don't have their place...but they are not the "be all and end all" of study!

Lemon
Apprentice
Last Login:January 12, 2009, 02:15:56 pm

Religion: Searching

Subterranean Homesick Blues Girl

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 27, 2007, 02:04:55 pm »

~~Ethan~~

I looked at the website because I had never heard of it either, and I think it looks okay. My main concern was it'd be some sort of scam website, where you'd have to pay so much money for a course. But since they have an option to take free classes, I think it'd be okay to take a class. Just remember to check their sources and do more research beyond what they present to you. I think courses are a good thing, but I'm always cautious about any information that's presented to me.

"Authors and actors and artists and such - Never know nothing, and never know much."
-Dorothy Parker

"You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows."
-Bob Dylan
Letheus
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 27, 2007, 03:39:58 pm »

It looks like it might be worth a shot, for the free courses. I would be VERY CAREFUL if you were going to spend any money on anything like this. If you DO want to shell out the bucks, DEFINITELY try the free membership first. (And, if they actually deliver what they promise, it looks like the free membership is actually pretty good. Way more than I've seen offered elsewhere.)

I would remember, though, that most of these places don't teach anything that can't be found elsewhere, with a little research. The free membership would be great for having everything in one place and a "curriculum". But other than that, I don't see the point.

Also, online schools are notorious for turning out "paper priestesses" with no real useful background. Yes, you learn the history/paperwork end of it. But just because you can describe to a T how to cast a circle, doesn't mean you can actually DO it. Not that the online schools don't have their place...but they are not the "be all and end all" of study!

Cheesy thank you guys...i was just going to take the free courses as it will allow me to have some kindof history lesson on itand i can learn to understand Wicca better=/

ILuvEire
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 18, 2008, 03:15:58 am
France France

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 25, 2007, 08:55:03 pm »

Cheesy thank you guys...i was just going to take the free courses as it will allow me to have some kindof history lesson on itand i can learn to understand Wicca better=/

Hmm, I am usually very opposed to people paying money for religious learning.

I'd just use the free courses and the message board. If they really seem like it would be worthwhile I might shell out the cash. It's awfully expensive though!

-TYLER-
ITTR contact me for free Tarot readings.
Psionic Visionaries a site devoted to teaching psi.
I'm not going to do anything to you but if I were you, I'd be happy that I am not an artichoke-Endorra.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:April 23, 2014, 05:13:58 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 25, 2007, 11:02:10 pm »

I just looked through their free stuff.  Nothing particularly inaccurate, but nothing particularly useful either.  They use Hutton as a primary source (good for them), but they call Starhawk's tradition "Wicca" (which it ain't).  Their suggested exercises are barely fleshed out.  There are no "whys".  Just very basic how-tos.  Oh, and credentials/lineage, please?  Who are these people?  The "About Us" section talks mostly about their purchase of a villa in Tuscany.   Huh  So...ones ability to purchase Italian real estate qualifies one to teach?

There seems to be no oversight, aside from the forum, for the beginner course.  This a quote from the "Research Project" section:

As an initial project we suggest that you pick one or two of the traditions of Wicca or Witchcraft outlined above that catch your eye. Go on intuition; ask yourself which brand seems right for you.

Uh...yeah.  That's incredibly helpful.   Roll Eyes  Or you could just go read "Triumph of the Moon" and learn everything you'll learn in their course, minus the overly-simplistic descriptions of common practices.

Perhaps the for-pay stuff has more meat on its bones, but I wouldn't waste my cash based on their intro package.  Unless it includes a ticket to Tuscany.  Which would be sweetWink

Brina
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 11:40:01 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: December 26, 2007, 03:46:52 am »

They describe traditions of Wicca as a brand? Smiley heh.

Is that really all the information one gets on a research project?  No 10,000 word limit? Cheesy

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 22, 2014, 09:10:17 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: December 26, 2007, 07:53:49 am »

Commercials and billboards coming soon, I'm sure.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 26, 2007, 11:11:31 am »

Is that really all the information one gets on a research project?  No 10,000 word limit? Cheesy

But dude, they live in Tuscany.  Tuscany!  Wink

Brina
Treebeard
Last Login:January 13, 2008, 11:15:27 am
Bosnia and Herzegovina Bosnia and Herzegovina

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 27, 2007, 12:18:41 pm »

I just looked through their free stuff.  Nothing particularly inaccurate, but nothing particularly useful either.  They use Hutton as a primary source (good for them), but they call Starhawk's tradition "Wicca" (which it ain't). 

Hmmmm.....Their free course is actually much fuller than Yewberry implies.

I have run a coven now for over 10 years and we looked at Magicka School as we were considering using an On-line course to supplement our training materials.

Personally I was quite impressed, especially when you compare their Wicca courses with other Online material and they’re cheap too. Magicka School charges £2.50 ($5) a month for all their materials, compare that with Working Witches…

The courses provide footnote references, which allows students to check things for themselves and their research projects and exercises provide a useful guided frame for further study.

They have a lively large Forum as well…and the students on it love the courses. There’s not many sites out there that run courses and are brave enough to run a public Forum where they leave themselves wide open to criticism…

And they’re monthly ezine has carried interviews with some very well known Witches…

As for Starhawk, well she is a Wiccan and has created 2 CDs on the subject: Wicca for Beginners and Wiccan Rituals and Blessings…Check out her site for confirmation.

Don’t get me wrong though…I’m not an advocate for Magicka School. All I would say is try their free courses and decide for yourself….
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 27, 2007, 12:36:42 pm »

Hmmmm.....Their free course is actually much fuller than Yewberry implies.

The footnotes are straight out of "Triumph of the Moon".  I suggest people just read that very educational and somewhat entertaining book.

Brina

yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 27, 2007, 12:42:34 pm »

The footnotes are straight out of "Triumph of the Moon".  I suggest people just read that very educational and somewhat entertaining book.

Brina

[edited to add]  If Starhawk is now Wiccan, that's news to me.  Trad Wiccans have taken some pains to distance themselves from Reclaiming in the past, and I assumed she was still part of the Reclaiming tradition.
Redhound666
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2008, 03:18:07 pm

Religion: Tell You When I Have Found It ;)

The Master of the Elements Lives Forever

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 27, 2007, 03:15:30 pm »

~~Ethan~~

Did Ya'll hear about the Magick school in Canada?

Here

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/jan/06011809.html

Seems interesting, no?

Please help my dragons grow!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)