The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 23, 2014, 04:49:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 04:49:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes, Sunflower
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan vs Heathen  (Read 9278 times)
ShadowScape
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 28, 2008, 04:37:20 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Insular Celtic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 03, 2008, 09:12:44 pm »

Can someone explain to me why some people here differentiate between pagan and heathen?

A heathen is someone who doesn't believe in the JCI god. So is a pagan. So obviously they are not using the standard definition.

What is meant when someone says they are a heathen rather than a pagan?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Rae*ShadowWolf
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 28, 2008, 05:26:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan seeking a path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 03, 2008, 09:24:04 pm »

Can someone explain to me why some people here differentiate between pagan and heathen?

A heathen is someone who doesn't believe in the JCI god. So is a pagan. So obviously they are not using the standard definition.

From my understanding (and I know it is not all that much!)  a Pagan is anyone not following one of the three Abrahamic religions.  A Heathen on the other hand, is one who follows an Ethnic tradition/religion. 

All Heathens are Pagans, but not all Pagans are Heathens.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 11, 2014, 06:21:03 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: January 03, 2008, 09:38:43 pm »

Those are the dictionary definitions and dictionaries report the common uses of words, not usually the way words are used in specialized areas.

More often than not, a non-Christians who calls themselves "Heathen" are followers of of the "Norse" religions: Asatru, Odinism, etc.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
ShadowScape
Senior Apprentice
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 03, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

Those are the dictionary definitions and dictionaries report the common uses of words, not usually the way words are used in specialized areas.

Exactly.

More often than not, a non-Christians who calls themselves "Heathen" are followers of of the "Norse" religions: Asatru, Odinism, etc.

Thank you. That is what I wanted to know  Smiley

PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 08:30:17 am

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 04, 2008, 03:19:02 pm »

heathen is a word that means heath dweller or hills dweller. It was taken by the Christians to mean anyone who was an infedel back during the Crusades in the 300-500 ad era. Pagan is a more modern term and usually applies to anyone whose religion is not Jewish/Christian/Islamic or Bhuddist. Because the word heathen has been used as an insult term by Christians for so many hundreds of years most people who follow a mystery religion that do not call themselves atheist or agnostic prefer Pagan at least in the USA

healing, light and peace
White Raven
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 06:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 04, 2008, 03:32:36 pm »

heathen is a word that means heath dweller or hills dweller. It was taken by the Christians to mean anyone who was an infedel back during the Crusades in the 300-500 ad era. Pagan is a more modern term and usually applies to anyone whose religion is not Jewish/Christian/Islamic or Bhuddist. Because the word heathen has been used as an insult term by Christians for so many hundreds of years most people who follow a mystery religion that do not call themselves atheist or agnostic prefer Pagan at least in the USA
Er, the term "pagan" goes back to the early days of Christianity in Rome and was derived from the Roman army's disparaging term for civilian country folk.  Not sure where the term "heathen" originated, but neither was meant as a compliment.  And even if "heathen" was coined the crusades, that would be the around 1090CE at the earliest.
ShadowScape
Senior Apprentice
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 04, 2008, 04:53:44 pm »

ummm - no. You have the ages of those words reversed for a start.

Er, the term "pagan" goes back to the early days of Christianity in Rome and was derived from the Roman army's disparaging term for civilian country folk.  Not sure where the term "heathen" originated, but neither was meant as a compliment.  And even if "heathen" was coined the crusades, that would be the around 1090CE at the earliest.

Yes - from the Latin paganus=village.
It was picked up form there by the church C14th to mean much the same thing - still civilian but this time not a soldier of God.

Heathen comes from the Old English hæthen It hasthe same meaning as pagan but also has the meaning barbaric, uncivilized.

Latin predates Old English by a long shot. And so do the crusades.

One of the reasons I asked is because is because heathen is commonly used as an insult so I wondered why they would prefer it topagan but I think I just figured out a perfectly good reason for Asatru/Norse/Germanic religion followers to use it. If it is an Old English word it will have a Germanic root somewhere. I can see why a Germanic word would be preferable to a Latin word for those people.

The main reason I asked is  if someone says "I follow a  Heathen path" it is meaningless to me if I don't know which paths refer to themselves as Heathen because I only have the dictionary definition of the word to go on - not the special purpose meaning applied here. That information has been supplied so now I will know what the Heathens here are referring to.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 22, 2014, 05:47:27 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: January 04, 2008, 11:19:23 pm »

One of the reasons I asked is because is because heathen is commonly used as an insult so I wondered why they would prefer it topagan but I think I just figured out a perfectly good reason for Asatru/Norse/Germanic religion followers to use it. If it is an Old English word it will have a Germanic root somewhere. I can see why a Germanic word would be preferable to a Latin word for those people.
<nod> Certainly that's the reasoning I've always heard given when someone says, "I'm not a Pagan, I'm a Heathen."

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 04:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 05, 2008, 05:07:54 am »

The 'dictionary definintions', as you say, are the definintions that I believe would be understood by the majority of people- those possibly not familiar with the different branches of Paganism. A lot of my family, for instance, hear the word 'heathen' used often in the Bible and in Christian sermons to denote somebody who does not follow their God. But then again, I remember hearing the word 'Pagan' used to denote this same thing during mass at my high school...hmm...

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 03:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 05, 2008, 09:33:36 am »

Both words, Pagan and Heathen are derogatory in nature. Both came to mean "bumpkin" (foolish country folk.) When applied to religion, they meant a foolish person who clung to old beliefs and Gods.

So, if you don't think clinging to old Gods is foolish, you don't see the term as derogatory, but wear it with pride.

A similar idea can be applied to the state of Indiana. The residents call themselves Hoosiers, although it is defined as a derogatory term in dictionaries (meaning bumpkin or country rustic). Hoosiers are proud to be country folk.

The link below gives more examples of derogatory words becoming words of pride (Yankee for example)

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/Hoosier
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 07:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: January 05, 2008, 11:28:36 am »

A similar idea can be applied to the state of Indiana. The residents call themselves Hoosiers, although it is defined as a derogatory term in dictionaries (meaning bumpkin or country rustic). Hoosiers are proud to be country folk.

That's news to me...  I've heard many explanations for the origin of the term, but this is the first time I've ever heard the one in the link you posted.  The more common explanations I've heard (although as I understand it there is no definitive explanation) involve a regional dialect, but with the word portrayed as a compression of "who's there" (as when greeting someone knocking at the door) or possibly "whose ear" (I'm less clear on this one), not as a word used to refer to big things.  Huh

Which is to say, I doubt most Hoosiers use the term because we're "proud to be country folk" and reclaiming the term or something.  Rather, I suspect most of us have just never heard it was supposed to be derogatory, which I don't think is quite the same as what you're describing.  (And in fact I would argue that the word has lost all derogatory meaning by this point.  Possibly excepting when used in the right tone of voice in our good-natured rivalry with Kentucky.)  Most Pagans and Heathens are well aware that those terms are used in a derogatory way by some people and choose to use the terms for their own reasons.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 05:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #11: January 05, 2008, 11:30:13 am »

Us heathens prefer the term precisely because it is Germanic in root. Northern Europe, with the exception of part of the British Isles, was never conquered by the Roman Empire. so, sure it may be childish, but it's our way of thumbing our noses at the southerners Smiley. It's one of *our* words, not one that came from Latin.

Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 03:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 05, 2008, 11:47:28 am »

so, sure it may be childish, but it's our way of thumbing our noses at the southerners Smiley. It's one of *our* words, not one that came from Latin.

which is actually a perfect reason for using it.
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2013, 05:16:02 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 05, 2008, 01:35:04 pm »

That's news to me...  I've heard many explanations for the origin of the term, but this is the first time I've ever heard the one in the link you posted.  The more common explanations I've heard (although as I understand it there is no definitive explanation) involve a regional dialect, but with the word portrayed as a compression of "who's there" (as when greeting someone knocking at the door) or possibly "whose ear" (I'm less clear on this one), not as a word used to refer to big things.  Huh

My Da's from Indiana and always used to say it was short for 'who's your daddy' and no one else in the family could seem to come up with a better explanation Tongue .

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 11:58:45 am

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 05, 2008, 08:14:18 pm »

heathen is a word that means heath dweller or hills dweller. It was taken by the Christians to mean anyone who was an infedel back during the Crusades in the 300-500 ad era.

Your about 6 centuries or more early.   I believe the first cursade was in the late 11th c.

In the 300-500  ad time frame there were still many 'pagan' or 'heathen' in central Europe and northward.  There waere no Muslims.  Scandinavia became Christian 1000 ad by edic of Olaf, King of Norway, better known today as St. Olaf.  Convert or die, it is a fast way to enlarg the faith.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)