The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 17, 2014, 01:43:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 01:43:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Sunflower, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: If I'm Psychic why can't I win the lottery?  (Read 6497 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 03:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 25, 2008, 10:08:15 am »

Here's the thing, I have tried and tried to pick those six lottery numbers using various types of devination. And the closest I ever got was, well, close. Basically my numbers were something like 7, 14, 19, 34, 39, and 20 while the winning numbers were 7, 14, 19, 35, 38, and 2. But that could have been the same with just a random pick.

Why doesn't devination work on lottery numbers? Obviously if it did we would all be rolling in dough by now.

I have my own ideas, but I don't want to influence any feedback, so I will wait for a few responses before I post any of my own thoughts.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 07:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: June 25, 2008, 10:37:38 am »

Why doesn't devination work on lottery numbers? Obviously if it did we would all be rolling in dough by now.

My admittedly rather limited understanding of the situation is that picking lottery numbers is just not a task that most divination is suited to--it's far too specific and far too changeable to pin down like that.  I've always understood that divination is less suited to specific questions about what the future will be and more suited to figuring out what direction you need to go in now.

The disclaimer, of course, is that divination is hardly my area of specialty so I may be way off base here.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 01:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 25, 2008, 10:40:23 am »

Why doesn't devination work on lottery numbers?

That's the million (or several million) dollar question, isn't it?  Wink

My theory is that "fate" is not set in stone and divination, at its best, can only provide general guidance.  I tend to think of divination as a more of a compass than an actual treasure map.  IME, divination can point you in a direction, give you ideas about what the potential rewards and pitfalls might be, and help guide you to where your going.  It simply doesn't say "X marks the spot. Dig here." because there are too many variables that can influence the outcome of a given event, many of which are beyond our control and can change rapidly.   

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 11:40:01 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 25, 2008, 11:31:56 am »

Well, I'm not sure you'll get much of an answer from the assumption implicit in your question. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 05:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 25, 2008, 11:49:18 am »

My theory is that "fate" is not set in stone and divination, at its best, can only provide general guidance.  I tend to think of divination as a more of a compass than an actual treasure map.  IME, divination can point you in a direction, give you ideas about what the potential rewards and pitfalls might be, and help guide you to where your going.  It simply doesn't say "X marks the spot. Dig here." because there are too many variables that can influence the outcome of a given event, many of which are beyond our control and can change rapidly.   

Along the same lines, I once read something that compared divination to a plan of a building.  The plan might be correct at that point in time, but there are a lot of factors that might change the plan before the building is actually complete (oh no, we forgot bathrooms!, or, the supply of steel has run out we'll have to use bamboo).  Divination can give you an idea of what an outcome might be based on what is happening right now.

The problem with the lottery is that it is so random there aren't any variables to draw conclusions from.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 25, 2008, 12:22:44 pm »

Well, I'm not sure you'll get much of an answer from the assumption implicit in your question. Smiley

Oh, you are a little devil now aren't you?   Wink
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 11:40:01 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: June 25, 2008, 12:35:21 pm »

Oh, you are a little devil now aren't you?   Wink

That's one of many things I've been called. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 25, 2008, 12:59:33 pm »

That's one of many things I've been called. Smiley

lol
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2013, 11:35:54 pm

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #8: June 25, 2008, 01:45:16 pm »

To assume that would be possible, one would have to believe that fate has pre-written the book of life and that all we need to do is skip ahead a few chapters with the help of divination.  Personally, I don't believe in fate, but fall firmly in the "random shit happens" camp.  Lottery drawings would be in that random shit category.  I'm terribly unromantic in general, I'm afraid.  I don't believe in fate, destiny, soulmates, or any of that. 

Sperran
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 22, 2014, 09:10:17 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: June 25, 2008, 04:53:07 pm »

I think divination can show the most likely possible futures, the current "trend" if you will. Winning lottery numbers are picked by a truly random process so there is really nothing to work with divination-wise.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 07:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 25, 2008, 06:56:23 pm »

To assume that would be possible, one would have to believe that fate has pre-written the book of life and that all we need to do is skip ahead a few chapters with the help of divination.

Just to be a sh*thead...

If fate is 'set in stone' so that you can just 'look ahead a few chapters'...and you do find the lottery numbers...and win the lottery...if that wasn't your destiny before, then that means fate wasn't really 'set in stone' was it? Or did you just break the universe? Grin

Or would that mean that there is a 'fate loop'...and you were destined to look ahead at your destiny and by doing so win the lottery?

I just felt like breaking some brains tonight. *whistles innocently*

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 07:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #11: June 25, 2008, 06:57:13 pm »

Randall pretty much gave my answer, but to expand on it a bit - divination, or tarot anyway, since that's what I'm familiar with, predicts the future of paths already started.  I almost always phrase predictions as 'if you continue the path you are on, this will most likely happen'.  Or, 'if the person you are asking about remains the way they are now, they will do this'.

The drawing of lottery tickets, like the spin of a slot machine, are specifically designed 'not' to have a pattern.  No path, no prediction, in my experience.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2013, 11:35:54 pm

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #12: June 25, 2008, 07:49:04 pm »

Just to be a sh*thead...

If fate is 'set in stone' so that you can just 'look ahead a few chapters'...and you do find the lottery numbers...and win the lottery...if that wasn't your destiny before, then that means fate wasn't really 'set in stone' was it? Or did you just break the universe? Grin

Or would that mean that there is a 'fate loop'...and you were destined to look ahead at your destiny and by doing so win the lottery?

I just felt like breaking some brains tonight. *whistles innocently*

Did I mention I don't believe in paradoxes and woo-woo stuff in general, either?   Cheesy

Sperran
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 10:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 26, 2008, 12:01:54 am »

Did I mention I don't believe in paradoxes and woo-woo stuff in general, either?   Cheesy

Sperran

Oh, you're no fun.

On the other hand, my first reaction to the question from the OP was, "Are you sure you're psychic? I'd take this as proof I wasn't."  Just feeling a little snarky.

Seriously, how many of the 'professional psychics' see the cops coming in the cards, or the pendulum or whatever?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 05:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 26, 2008, 05:10:43 am »

People, you're all overlooking the obvious. Divination does work for lottery numbers...it's just that, when you get that peek at the winning combination, you have no idea if it's the numbers for tomorrow, next week, next year, or a decade plus 2 months and a day from now.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)