The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 23, 2014, 06:55:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 06:55:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes, Sunflower
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Spreads for oracle cards  (Read 9528 times)
Alastriona
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 09:40:53 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan... currently following the Druid path with Wiccan influences

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 16, 2008, 10:06:55 pm »

I just recently purchased The Faeries' Oracle oracle cards who's artwork was done by Brian Froud.  Now, I have tarot cards so I do have some experience in the area but I am new to using oracle cards.  I am pretty much following the book that came with the cards so that I can really get a good understanding of the cards (before reading the descriptions in the 2nd part of the book).  I was planning on starting out using the basic three card spread, past, present, and future.  I think this would be a good place to start while I am still learning and interpreting the cards (and communicating with faeries).  I have not yet begun reading the cards, and I am interested in spreads.

My question is kind of a two-parter:

a) Does anyone else own this set of cards, and if you do, based on the artwork what spread do you choose to use and why?  Also, if using these cards, how difficult was it to begin working with faeries with these cards?

and b) Even if not using this set of cards, what spreads do you find the most practical or use the most when working with oracle cards?  There are less cards in oracle decks so a lot of the same tarot spreads could work, but for oracle cards are there better spreads?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:26:02 pm by Alastriona » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 10:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 16, 2008, 11:42:07 pm »

a) Does anyone else own this set of cards, and if you do, based on the artwork what spread do you choose to use and why?  Also, if using these cards, how difficult was it to begin working with faeries with these cards?

My wife and I own this deck.  She does readings with it more commonly, but she tends to do her own spreads as she feels the need (in some ways, this is a very intuitive deck...follow your intuition as you do readings and you generally won't go wrong...go against your intuition, and this deck has a habit of gently chastising you).  She'll do everything from a standard 3-card spread, a quick 1-card answer, to even a 9-card spread.  There are times she will elaborate on a spread to seek further clarification (this is where the deck most commonly comes in to chastise her when it doesn't feel like being more specific, although there are times it gets pretty darned specific).

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 05:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 17, 2008, 05:20:29 am »

and b) Even if not using this set of cards, what spreads do you find the most practical or use the most when working with oracle cards?  There are less cards in oracle decks so a lot of the same tarot spreads could work, but for oracle cards are there better spreads?
I can't be of help because I'm working with Raider-Waite based decks. But I'm curious about what you mean with 'oracle cards'. Are you refering to the specific deck you mentioned above or is 'oracle cards' some sort of school which has spawned severel decks like Raider-Waite has spawned several decks with the same structure? So how are 'oracle card' decks structured?

Btw, I have the Druid Animal Oracle by Garr-Cromm, but found I can't work with it (although I like the artwork). Would that have the same basis structure as your Faerie deck?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 24, 2014, 08:18:59 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 17, 2008, 07:15:19 am »

I can't be of help because I'm working with Raider-Waite based decks. But I'm curious about what you mean with 'oracle cards'.

"Orcale cards" usually refer to divination decks that are cleared not based on Tarot symbolism and meanings. Each one is usually completely different in symbolism, meaning, and methods of use.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 27, 2014, 09:13:55 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 17, 2008, 07:42:18 am »

I mostly do 3 and 5 card spreads with it, because the kinds of questions I'm asking are best handled with a shorter spread (I do "Big picture, what is going on in my life" questions with my Tarot deck and my self-made quote deck, I do specific questions about blocks and limits relating to creativity, art, music, etc. with the Fairie Oracle.)

In terms of working with the particular cards: I found that I only got really good readings with certain kinds of questions, but that getting up to speed with that was fairly easy (I did work through the exercises in the book, more or less.)

As a note to folks who want to know more about other oracle decks, we had a thread a month or so ago about them that has some other useful info: over here http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=6016.0

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Alastriona
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 09:40:53 pm

Religion: Pagan... currently following the Druid path with Wiccan influences

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 17, 2008, 05:57:06 pm »

As a note to folks who want to know more about other oracle decks, we had a thread a month or so ago about them that has some other useful info: over here http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=6016.0

Thank you so much for pointing this out!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 06:00:17 pm by Alastriona » Logged
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 05:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 18, 2008, 02:22:32 am »

"Orcale cards" usually refer to divination decks that are cleared not based on Tarot symbolism and meanings. Each one is usually completely different in symbolism, meaning, and methods of use.
Thanks for explaining it. I'm confused by the many different decks out on the market.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
MeadowSweet
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 20, 2008, 06:24:04 am

Religion: hedge witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 19, 2008, 02:59:01 am »

I used to have this deck years ago, don't know what happened to it.  I found it difficult to work with, like working with someone else's spirit guides.  It's a beautiful collector deck, though; the artwork is lovely.

I do have other oracle decks that I do use.  The one I use most often are the Wiccan Oracle Cards.  I tend to take the Sabbat cards out though, because they're time indicators and I don't like to do predictive reading.  I also have the Druid Animal Oracle, and others.

I like using the Celtic Cross spread with the Wiccan cards.  The elemental cross spread (situation in the center, earth above, air to the right, fire below, and water to the left) is good to use, too.  Another short, yet meaningful spread positions three cards in a verticle line, laid from the top down to indicate thoughts, feelings, and manifestations.

Anathema didn't only believe in ley-lines, but in seals, whales, bicycles, rainforests, whole grain in loves, recycled paper, white South Africans out of South Africa, and Americans out of practically everywhere down to and including Long Island.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)
kaarne
Apprentice
Last Login:June 14, 2009, 03:07:01 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 20, 2008, 06:47:09 am »

what spreads do you find the most practical or use the most when working with oracle cards?  There are less cards in oracle decks so a lot of the same tarot spreads could work, but for oracle cards are there better spreads?
The only non-tarot oracle deck that I use right now is The Moon Oracle. I sort the cards into a few piles and not necessarily use all of them, because certain types of cards are more suitable for certain types of card positions in spreads.

I don't use any spread often and regularly. I experiment with spreads: I create my own, and try spreads that I find from the web. When I use only 28 cards from The Moon Oracle deck, I don't use bigger spreads that use more than ten cards. I think that it is too small card selection for such spreads. The whole deck has 72 cards, though.

By the way, some non-tarot oracle decks have more than 78 cards. For instance, the Ocean Oracle has 200 cards.

Because every divination deck is an oracle, I think they all should be called oracle decks. But metaphysical shops don't agree with me...
kaarne
Apprentice
Last Login:June 14, 2009, 03:07:01 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 20, 2008, 06:53:34 am »

The only non-tarot oracle deck that I use right now is The Moon Oracle. I sort the cards into a few piles and don't necessarily use all of them, because certain types of cards are more suitable for certain types of card positions in spreads.

I don't use any spread often and regularly. I experiment with spreads: I create my own, and try spreads that I find from the web. When I use only 28 cards from The Moon Oracle deck, I don't use bigger spreads that use more than ten cards. I think that it is too small card selection for such spreads. The whole deck has 72 cards, though.

By the way, some non-tarot oracle decks have more than 78 cards. For instance, the Ocean Oracle has 200 cards.

Because every divination deck is an oracle, I think they all should be called oracle decks. But metaphysical shops don't agree with me...
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 04:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 20, 2008, 08:17:42 am »

I have also had this deck for years and although I don't use it everyday, I do use it on a regular basis. I always really enjoyed working with this deck, I am a big fan of Froud's work and own several of his books. I have never had any problems with this deck nor with the fae represented in the cards.

As for using the deck, I have never used a set spread. Sometimes I pull 3 cards as a base reading, if I need more info I will pull 2 more and put it on top of the first three so it starts to look like a pyramid. Sometimes I just pull 5 cards to get a base answer and if that leds to questions I reshuffle, leaving the orginal cards out, and pull another 3 or so. Then again, I some times just pull 1 card.

I usually let my intuition guide me on oracle decks and usually on tarot decks in general. I have had better readings pulling random cards in my own silly spreads than I have had with standard spreads given in books.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 02:41:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 26, 2008, 10:51:41 am »

I use a Goddess oracle deck. I use one card or three card spread for quick questions but I use my own spread for more complicated questions. I use a treelike spread in this you shuffle and take one card to represent you right now and place it as the root of the tree, reshuffle your cards then select one card for each area of your life thats important to you right now (mine is career, education, creativity, spirituality, health, love and philosophy). Its up to you what the number of areas and topics are. Once you have done this you'll probably find you are not clear about the meaning of the card for a particular area. Just reshuffle and lay three cards next to the area card to try to clear up the meaning.

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 07:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #12: July 27, 2008, 04:07:34 pm »

I have those wonderful cards for quite a while now and I still feel totally happy with drawing one card if need be. I personally don't feel those cards to be used like 'any' oracle. (A similiar feeling I've got about the Runes.) They are too much alive (if that makes sense) to use them in a every day way.

The Fae themselves just made me stumble over those cards (at least I'm convinced about this by now).  Cheesy It is not difficult to connect to them - that is, if you can get rid of the little voice in the back of your head that keeps asking and nagging: That's it now, isn't it? You are totally out of your mind now - you're talking to a faerie sitting on your dashboard - you are a nutcase.....  Grin

But to answer the second part of your question - it really depends on the oracle set.
I've got more oracle cards than tarots and use the other divination sets far more than tarot.
The spread I favor to use for all of them (Animal Oracle, Tree Oracle etc.) is this:

1. Situation - what is this about?
2. Strength - what is on the positive side? What helps?
3. Weekness - where do you/the situation lack something? What can be done against this?
4. Answer
5. Advice - often points the way to the answer

I like this spread very much.
It's laid out:

2             5             3

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Isis
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2009, 04:18:30 pm

Religion: Pagan (Druidic Witch)

Mother Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 05, 2008, 02:00:08 pm »

More often than not, I use sort of a past, present, future spread.  If I feel the person I'm reading for requires more information, I'll break down and use the Celtic Cross.  There are four spreads that the Fairy Ring deck uses.  Those are some good, practical spreads that you can use with practically any Tarot (or Oracle) deck you may have.

Magick is . . . hearing the wind whisper the Earth's secrets or listening to the Moon share Her wisdom.

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. " -Anais Nin, writer
celestine
Apprentice
Last Login:April 02, 2009, 04:08:18 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: pagan, witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 18, 2008, 01:12:39 pm »

I just recently purchased The Faeries' Oracle oracle cards who's artwork was done by Brian Froud.  Now, I have tarot cards so I do have some experience in the area but I am new to using oracle cards.  I am pretty much following the book that came with the cards so that I can really get a good understanding of the cards (before reading the descriptions in the 2nd part of the book).  I was planning on starting out using the basic three card spread, past, present, and future.  I think this would be a good place to start while I am still learning and interpreting the cards (and communicating with faeries).  I have not yet begun reading the cards, and I am interested in spreads.

a) Does anyone else own this set of cards, and if you do, based on the artwork what spread do you choose to use and why?  Also, if using these cards, how difficult w as it to begin working with faeries with these cards?

i ahve these cards and use them daily, but they are my personal cards, i find readings for others with these cards become very confusing so i use another set i have for that. 

every day i do a one card reading it gives me a good idea of what the day may hold  and things to look out for in myself, this also helped me to atune with the deck as i sit and look at the card i had drawn for a while first to see what i thought it might mean before i read the book meaning.

If i have a specific question to ask i use the three card meaning and this mor times than not gives me the answers i need to go forward, but there have been a few times when this has not been enough so i use the zodiac spread and the cards give me a much more indepth reading

above all now that i have worked with these cards for roughly six months i feel very atuned to them and know they can be brutaly honest with their replies but always right and always point me in the right direction

hope this helps 

brightest blessings

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)