The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 30, 2014, 06:16:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 06:16:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes, Sunflower
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Degree in Occult Studies  (Read 27172 times)
Isis
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2009, 04:18:30 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan (Druidic Witch)

Mother Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 15, 2008, 03:28:05 pm »

I've decided to change my degree from Business Administration to something that interests me much more:  occult studies.  I've looked at a lot of the colleges and universities in my area, but the closest thing I can find is a religious studies degree.  I'm not saying this wouldn't be a fun degree to earn, but I can't find anything for occult studies.  Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find them?

Thanks!

Magick is . . . hearing the wind whisper the Earth's secrets or listening to the Moon share Her wisdom.

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. " -Anais Nin, writer

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 11:40:01 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: October 15, 2008, 03:41:07 pm »

I've decided to change my degree from Business Administration to something that interests me much more:  occult studies.  I've looked at a lot of the colleges and universities in my area, but the closest thing I can find is a religious studies degree.  I'm not saying this wouldn't be a fun degree to earn, but I can't find anything for occult studies.  Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find them?

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, did you have anything in mind as far as what you would do with this degree?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2014, 05:58:10 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: October 15, 2008, 03:46:22 pm »

I've decided to change my degree from Business Administration to something that interests me much more:  occult studies. 

I don't know of any universities offering such a degree. I believe there are some universities that allow selected students to create their own undergrad degree from courses offered. However, it would probably be hard to come up with enough applicable courses for such a "occult studies" degree.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:July 24, 2014, 08:15:08 pm
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 15, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

Thanks!

I can't think of any specific "occult studies" programs.  However, there are plenty of scholars -- usually in religion, history or anthropology departments -- who study the occult.  You'll do better to look up some major scholars in the specific areas of occultism you're interested in, and see where they teach.  For example, if you're interested in ancient Greek magic, Sarah Iles Johnston teaches at Ohio State.  Valerie Flint, who writes about early medieval magic, is, IIRC, at the University of Hull.  And so forth.
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 11:05:19 am

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 15, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

I used to work in the Religious Studies department at a university and they offered courses in the occult. And I have a BA in anthropology and took courses in magick and witchcraft. You might look into an anthropology major. But other than that, I really can't think of a university that offers a degree in occult studies.

Rigantona, Great Queen
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 06:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 15, 2008, 06:52:36 pm »

Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find them?
Are you thinking of something along the lines of "occult history"?   

'Cause, my first thought was:  given that "occult" means "hidden" or "secret" I doubt there'd be a comprehensive (applied) occult program at the local University.   Tongue

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 03:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 15, 2008, 07:21:34 pm »

Out of curiosity, did you have anything in mind as far as what you would do with this degree?

probably about the same as Isaac Bonewits did with his degree in magic. he worked in publishing as an editor, etc. starting I think with Llwellyn. Then moved to larger companies as general writing staff, desktop publishing, etc.

Or like my foster mom with her PhD in folklore (maritime ethnography specifically).  Would you like hot sauce with your tacos?
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:July 24, 2014, 08:15:08 pm
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: October 16, 2008, 03:03:36 am »

I can't think of any specific "occult studies" programs. 

I take it back -- there is a Department of Hermetic Studies and Related Currents at the University of Amsterdam.  It is the first, and so far as I know, only one of its kind.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2014, 05:58:10 pm

TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: October 16, 2008, 07:26:32 am »

I take it back -- there is a Department of Hermetic Studies and Related Currents at the University of Amsterdam.  It is the first, and so far as I know, only one of its kind.

It looks interesting to. Of course, I'm very interested in the Hermetic end of things.

http://www.amsterdamhermetica.nl/index.php

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 05:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 16, 2008, 09:15:21 am »

I wonder if there's parapsychology somewhere too? (Not that I would want to study it, though).

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 02, 2014, 02:17:37 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: October 16, 2008, 09:25:48 am »

I wonder if there's parapsychology somewhere too? (Not that I would want to study it, though).

I don't know, I always thought that parapsychology was one of the subjects that there is no accredited degree for.  I think I heard once that some universities have metaphysics classes (don't ask me where), but I wonder if someone could major in that subject?  But the thing with a degree in parapsychology, the occult or metaphysics is that it's not very practical.  What sort of job can one get with a degree in those fields outside of possibly teaching or writing*.

I personally would prefer a degree in something more practical, but that's just me.

*I know that there are some fields like history or the humanities that are like this, but the thing is that those fields are recognized by most academics as being legitimate where as metaphysics and parapsychology may be regarded as pseudoscience and (especially in the case of parapsychology) fraud.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 07:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: October 16, 2008, 09:44:37 am »

I don't know, I always thought that parapsychology was one of the subjects that there is no accredited degree for.  I think I heard once that some universities have metaphysics classes (don't ask me where), but I wonder if someone could major in that subject? 

There at least used to be several parapsychology research facilities associated with universities, IIRC--Duke, Princeton, Stanford, ULCA...  I think most of them have closed, though, and I've no idea whether "associated research facilities" necessarily translated into classes or degree programs.  If Wiki is to be trusted, there are still academic research facilities at University of Virginia, University of Arizona (and I thought the Rhine Center at Duke was still open, though Wiki doesn't list it), and a few universities in the UK, but again I don't know how that translates to curriculum or if it does at all.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a basic parapsychology class show up somewhere; it doesn't seem any less likely than some of the college classes I've heard about.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 11:40:01 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: October 16, 2008, 10:08:54 am »

*I know that there are some fields like history or the humanities that are like this, but the thing is that those fields are recognized by most academics as being legitimate where as metaphysics and parapsychology may be regarded as pseudoscience and (especially in the case of parapsychology) fraud.

I don't know quite how lines are drawn within the parapsychology field.  I would imagine at least some are debunkers, or skeptics of a sort.  Given the range of anomalous experiences a lot of people claim/ believe in, I would say that debunking (or at least more level approach, rather than starting with belief and working backwards) is a valid area of exploration.  For example, showing that X is not caused by ghosts, but products of certain patterns of X Y or Z could serve to expand scientific knowledge.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 02:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 16, 2008, 10:10:39 am »

Here's a link  http://www.pflyceum.org/66.html that somewhat explains the availability of parasychology degrees.

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 02:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 16, 2008, 10:11:59 am »

What sort of job can one get with a degree in those fields outside of possibly teaching or writing*.

*Laughs*  Ghost hunting

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)