The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 23, 2014, 05:23:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 05:23:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes, Sunflower
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shinto in the United States  (Read 6176 times)
Sylvan
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2011, 07:37:24 am
United States United States

Religion: Currently reevaluating

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 20, 2008, 11:04:27 am »

A friend of mine (born in the U.S. and raised Christian) is currently studying Shinto.  She considers herself to be Pagan in a general sense but is looking to integrate certain elements of Shinto into her current belief system.  I've done some very basic reading about Shinto and its connections to the history and culture of Japan, so I was very interested when my friend directed me to a website for one of the Shinto shrines in the U.S. - http://www.tsubakishrine.com/home.html

Is anyone in The Cauldron community familiar with this or any other American Shinto shrines or the practice of Shinto in the U.S.?  If so, I would be particularly interested to hear some first hand perspectives on how Shinto is understood within an American context (culturally and geographically) given its intimate ties to the history and land of Japan.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

orioncali
Apprentice
Last Login:November 13, 2011, 07:50:05 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 30, 2008, 07:26:13 pm »

I know what Shinto is, but I haven't heard of a shrine in the US before. From my understanding Shinto even in Japan is a small number. I am happy to hear that new practitioners are following, I believe it is one of the aspects of Japanese culture being lost in their Westernization.

~And that my Lord is how we know the world is banana shaped~

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:June 26, 2014, 06:01:51 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 31, 2008, 11:59:16 am »

From my understanding Shinto even in Japan is a small number. I am happy to hear that new practitioners are following, I believe it is one of the aspects of Japanese culture being lost in their Westernization.

I lived in Japan for a while, and I can say that Shinto is alive and well -- just visit a large shrine like Atsuta on a Saturday afternoon. Tonight (Dec 31) the shrines will be packed to the gills. It's fair to say that there are few Japanese who *solely* follow Shinto; most also observe some aspects of Buddhism (especially wrt funerals) and secular Christianity (like white dress weddings). But I don't think we have to worry about Shinto traditions vanishing anytime soon.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 03:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 31, 2008, 03:44:45 pm »

and secular Christianity (like white dress weddings).

Boggle.  Plus I don't think white dresses for weddings are Christian.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 27, 2014, 09:13:55 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 31, 2008, 07:10:34 pm »

Boggle.  Plus I don't think white dresses for weddings are Christian.

They're Victorian, specifically, if I remember right - but they quickly got all sorts of "white is for purity, just like Jesus" stuff tacked on pretty quickly.

It all makes much more sense if you put on Victorian rose-colored lenses and squint a lot, I admit.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 10:01:54 am

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: December 31, 2008, 07:33:05 pm »

They're Victorian, specifically, if I remember right - but they quickly got all sorts of "white is for purity, just like Jesus" stuff tacked on pretty quickly.

It all makes much more sense if you put on Victorian rose-colored lenses and squint a lot, I admit.

*nods*

Before then women just wore the nicest dress they owned regardless of what color it was.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 31, 2008, 09:26:06 pm »

That makes more sense.  The Japanese are adopting western attire / culture, rather than adopting the oxymoron of secular Christianity.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 07:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #7: January 01, 2009, 05:37:17 am »

*nods*

Before then women just wore the nicest dress they owned regardless of what color it was.

My great-grandmother married in a black dress with a white veil - like it was custom then.
Formal dresses used to be black, you could wear it to funerals and at the end often got buried in it.
People were kind of practical those days.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 20, 2014, 02:23:04 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: January 02, 2009, 12:38:07 am »

That makes more sense.  The Japanese are adopting western attire / culture, rather than adopting the oxymoron of secular Christianity.

Wow, my upbringing is an oxymoron.  Cool.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 02, 2009, 12:51:53 am »

So you were raised in a non-Western culture with a non-Christian religion being predominate?  And at the same time you picked up Christian values (from non-Christian parents) that are different than the non-Christian religion's values without learning anything about Christianity?
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 20, 2014, 02:23:04 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: January 02, 2009, 01:14:47 am »

So you were raised in a non-Western culture with a non-Christian religion being predominate?  And at the same time you picked up Christian values (from non-Christian parents) that are different than the non-Christian religion's values without learning anything about Christianity?

No.  I was raised secular Christian.

orioncali
Apprentice
Last Login:November 13, 2011, 07:50:05 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 02, 2009, 01:18:47 am »

I read some where that Queen Victoria was the first to wear a white dress, and thus started the tradition.

~And that my Lord is how we know the world is banana shaped~

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:June 26, 2014, 06:01:51 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 02, 2009, 01:01:18 pm »

Yup. Because Christianity is apparently the only religion in the world which has no secular traditions whatsoever, and everyone who self-identifies as Christian is devoutly religious. /sarcasm. (also brought up this way.)

I'm boggled that some people are boggled by the concept.
(though we seem to have run smack into the old cultus/belief distinction -- I think that's the correct terminology.)
yukihime
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 02:38:02 pm

Religion: unitarian universalism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 13, 2009, 08:44:26 pm »

If so, I would be particularly interested to hear some first hand perspectives on how Shinto is understood within an American context (culturally and geographically) given its intimate ties to the history and land of Japan.
Eyeris
Apprentice
Last Login:September 22, 2009, 11:50:48 am

Religion: I do my own thing

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 30, 2009, 04:46:46 pm »

When a belief is predominating in a culture, weather it is part of your particular religion or not, you'll be affected by it. i.e. Christians (once up on a time) started putting up evergreen trees; though this was no part of the Christian religion, it came from predominating culture of the area Christianity moved into.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)