The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 24, 2014, 07:32:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 07:32:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

In Memoriam
Elspeth (2010),
Marilyn (2013)

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Shadow
Assistant Board Coordinators:
Jubes, Sunflower
SIG Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Catja, Fausta, Melamphoros, Tana, Veggiewolf

Server Admin:
Bob

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk
Chat Coordinator:
Steve

Reserve Staff:
Chabas, Kelly, Ocelot, Sperran

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Koi, Loreley, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
CauldronMUX Staff:
Phoibos
Chat Hosts:
Brandonb70, Dragonfaerie

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall
Acquisitions Editor:
Aster Breo
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Moon anxiety  (Read 8948 times)
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 07:07:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 31, 2009, 10:18:41 pm »

This may be a strange topic (hope it's in the right place).  Ever since I was little I've loved the full moon.   I remember following it when we were driving at night and being curious about why it was bright orange at times and almost silver at others.  However, I've always felt extreme anxiety a few days before the full moon.  I can't sleep, wake up at odd hours of the night, have vivid dreams, can't concentrate and generally feel that something is wrong.  Once the moon is finally full, I feel peaceful and even a bit giddy.  I spend time on my patio at night soaking up the moon the way some would soak up the sun.

I've looked around in books and on the net, but I don't see anything about this, so I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any clue why I do.  I do have a friend who feels the same way and she even had a panic attack a few months ago 2 days before the full moon, so I'm really thinking it's not just me.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 09:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 31, 2009, 10:28:48 pm »

This may be a strange topic (hope it's in the right place).  Ever since I was little I've loved the full moon.   I remember following it when we were driving at night and being curious about why it was bright orange at times and almost silver at others.  However, I've always felt extreme anxiety a few days before the full moon.  I can't sleep, wake up at odd hours of the night, have vivid dreams, can't concentrate and generally feel that something is wrong.  Once the moon is finally full, I feel peaceful and even a bit giddy.  I spend time on my patio at night soaking up the moon the way some would soak up the sun.

I've looked around in books and on the net, but I don't see anything about this, so I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any clue why I do.  I do have a friend who feels the same way and she even had a panic attack a few months ago 2 days before the full moon, so I'm really thinking it's not just me.

Dreams, yes. I have lots of dreams at and around the full moon. Usually totally wild and full of juice. I have insomnia at the time of the full moon, but I guess this is not unusual. What is your moon sign? And I wonder if it is aspected in some kind of funky way? I know pretty much nothing about astrology, but that's what comes to mind.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 31, 2009, 11:03:31 pm »

Dreams, yes. I have lots of dreams at and around the full moon. Usually totally wild and full of juice. I have insomnia at the time of the full moon, but I guess this is not unusual. What is your moon sign? And I wonder if it is aspected in some kind of funky way? I know pretty much nothing about astrology, but that's what comes to mind.
I don't know much about astrology either.  I'm trying to learn more because a great deal of the symbolism on my favorite tarot deck uses astrology.  I'd love to know if this has something to do with my sign.  I'm Sagittarius but I believe my moon sign is Capricorn.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 12:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 01, 2009, 02:35:00 am »

I've always felt extreme anxiety a few days before the full moon.  I can't sleep, wake up at odd hours of the night, have vivid dreams, can't concentrate and generally feel that something is wrong.  Once the moon is finally full, I feel peaceful and even a bit giddy. 

Back when I was a Wiccan & taking Wicca classes, the moon's cycles were explained to me like this - as the moon is waxing and waning, tides of energy are moving just like tides in big bodies of water. Energy builds as the moon waxes and fades as the moon wanes. During the three days of the full moon, all the energy that has built up becomes somewhat static and stable. Supposedly, it's better to perform spellcraft on the 'in-between' days when the moon is neither fully 'full' or fully 'new'.

Your anxiety may be a sign that you are somehow more sensitive to the tides of energy flowing around during the moon's cycle. (I just wish I knew what the said 'energy' was supposed to be - magnetic energy? The moon's gravitational pull on the earth? Static? Something akin to chi? It feels weird to go around all these years just referring to 'the energy' - makes me feel like a whack job).

SilentEcho
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 20, 2011, 06:46:31 am

Religion: Pagan, eclectic studies for now

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 01, 2009, 08:40:04 am »

Your anxiety may be a sign that you are somehow more sensitive to the tides of energy flowing around during the moon's cycle. (I just wish I knew what the said 'energy' was supposed to be - magnetic energy? The moon's gravitational pull on the earth? Static? Something akin to chi? It feels weird to go around all these years just referring to 'the energy' - makes me feel like a whack job).
You're not the only one, Perzephone. 

I have a question-does the moon's cycle coincide or oppose your menstrual cycle?  Mine was very regulated according to the moon, and when I was late the one time, I knew I was pregnant before they could even do a test.
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 01, 2009, 08:52:15 am »

I have a question-does the moon's cycle coincide or oppose your menstrual cycle?  Mine was very regulated according to the moon, and when I was late the one time, I knew I was pregnant before they could even do a test.
Usually they are in sync with the moon cycle, but I'm not regular either.

It's a funny feeling, the kind you get before taking a trip or a huge holiday, like you have so much to do and if you don't get it all done now, everything will be a huge mess - or that feeling you get when you leave the house and think you left the stove on. 

I also have huge creative surges and I can't concentrate enough to read.

My Blog
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 07:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: September 01, 2009, 09:09:21 am »

Usually they are in sync with the moon cycle, but I'm not regular either.

Given that...  I have to be completely mundane here and ask whether it could be just a hormonal thing rather than something that's actually tied to the moon's phase?  I could be way off-base here, especially since you say your cycle isn't completely regular, but I know I go through slightly-manic phases reasonably regularly that feel a lot like the description you're giving--always at the same point in my menstrual cycle.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 23, 2014, 06:09:08 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: September 01, 2009, 05:16:19 pm »

Given that...  I have to be completely mundane here and ask whether it could be just a hormonal thing rather than something that's actually tied to the moon's phase?  I could be way off-base here, especially since you say your cycle isn't completely regular, but I know I go through slightly-manic phases reasonably regularly that feel a lot like the description you're giving--always at the same point in my menstrual cycle.
<nod> That's what I was thinking of, too - not necessarily that it is that, but on the principle of eliminating possible mundane causes before attributing things to more mystical causes.

Herbalgoddess, one thing you might try is to keep a journal of the instances of anxiety - every time it happens (including any instances that occur when the moon isn't approaching full), make a note of it, along with where you are in your menstrual cycle, the phase of the moon (the more exact you can be, the better), and any other info that might be pertinent.  That could include time of day, weather (temperature, humidity, wind, etc), other aspects of your mood in the preceding 24 hours, your interactions with other people in that time period... practically anything that might be relevant (and go ahead and include things that don't necessarily seem relevant; they could prove to be after all).  That will not only help with the "moon cycles?  hormonal cycles?  or both?" question, but with other possible factors - it might be several things, not just one - but could turn out to be an activity that helps soothe the anxiety.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
unbendingwill
Journeyman
Last Login:September 12, 2010, 08:34:04 am

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 01, 2009, 10:07:10 pm »

I have always felt a connection to the moon, as cheesy as that may sound.  My menstrual cycles have also always been (luckily) in tune with the moon.  If they weren't I would never know when they were because I never keep track.  I always get them around the full moon.  Sucks because I love the full moon and love to play during those times, and go camping and stuff like that.  Sometimes I have noticed being around other "crazy" people that they do act weirder around the full moon time.  For my self, well I get pms, during that time period, so it's hard to tell which is which.  But I do get more emotional but like I said, it could just be the pms!;)
littlebird
Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2011, 01:04:02 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 01, 2009, 11:36:38 pm »

I have always felt a connection to the moon, as cheesy as that may sound.  My menstrual cycles have also always been (luckily) in tune with the moon.  If they weren't I would never know when they were because I never keep track.  I always get them around the full moon.  Sucks because I love the full moon and love to play during those times, and go camping and stuff like that.  Sometimes I have noticed being around other "crazy" people that they do act weirder around the full moon time.  For my self, well I get pms, during that time period, so it's hard to tell which is which.  But I do get more emotional but like I said, it could just be the pms!;)

Normally I don't feel much of an effect from the moon cycles, but that might be different this month. For the past 3 days, since the moon's been around 75% or so, I haven't been able to fall asleep as long as it's still night time. No matter how tired I am (last night I was running on 3 hours worth of sleep in 24 hours), it takes the sun coming up to put me to sleep. Which is frustrating me, because I've been trying to do the exact opposite. I've also felt shaky, and unable to focus during the day.

Of course, I've suffered from insomnia in the past, and I've had various sleep schedules, but I've never had this happen. Usually if I have only 3-5 hours of sleep, I can nap at any point, day or night. But not these past few days. I've also felt completely drained and worn out during the day, usually with a low grade headache, but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake and feel great.

I've had some wonky hormonal shifts in the past year, like having one menstrual cycle every two months (skipping a cycle completely every other month), but that's finally settled down. Maybe the moon is making me into a vampire  Grin

herbalgoddess13
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 02, 2009, 07:24:34 am »

<nod> That's what I was thinking of, too - not necessarily that it is that, but on the principle of eliminating possible mundane causes before attributing things to more mystical causes.

Herbalgoddess, one thing you might try is to keep a journal of the instances of anxiety - every time it happens (including any instances that occur when the moon isn't approaching full), make a note of it, along with where you are in your menstrual cycle, the phase of the moon (the more exact you can be, the better), and any other info that might be pertinent.  That could include time of day, weather (temperature, humidity, wind, etc), other aspects of your mood in the preceding 24 hours, your interactions with other people in that time period... practically anything that might be relevant (and go ahead and include things that don't necessarily seem relevant; they could prove to be after all).  That will not only help with the "moon cycles?  hormonal cycles?  or both?" question, but with other possible factors - it might be several things, not just one - but could turn out to be an activity that helps soothe the anxiety.

Sunflower
Thanks, I do keep a dream journal and my cycles, the moon phase, weather, emotional conditions, physical conditions etc. are a part of it.  Even if my cycle is off, I still get this anxiety a few days before the full moon, but it could be that my body is trying to regulate even though it's a bit messed up.  I have RA and my usual PMS symptom is body/joint aches, migraines and little bursts of emotions a week before so that's how I usually keep in-tune with my cycle.

My Blog
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 09:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 02, 2009, 08:44:13 am »

Thanks, I do keep a dream journal and my cycles, the moon phase, weather, emotional conditions, physical conditions etc. are a part of it.  Even if my cycle is off, I still get this anxiety a few days before the full moon, but it could be that my body is trying to regulate even though it's a bit messed up.  I have RA and my usual PMS symptom is body/joint aches, migraines and little bursts of emotions a week before so that's how I usually keep in-tune with my cycle.

Evening Primrose Oil is awesome for PMS, I have found. Also taking Vitamin B every day is very helpful for mood regulation. And you know, the moon will have her way. I try not to stress about it, and just ride the wave when the moon is particularly strong for me-some months are more than others. I don't think there is any point in separating out what is your hormones and what is something else, b/c they are all entwined. It's good to know, but it doesn't make the intensity of the time any different, or more or less special.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
ladysade
Apprentice
Last Login:December 22, 2009, 12:13:47 pm

Religion: wiccan
TCN ID: http://ecauldron.ning.com/profile/ladesade

I am part of the moon ... and its beauty

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 07, 2009, 08:34:38 pm »

your not the only one either

when i am not able to see and feel the full  moon

I become rather moody

and i seem more on edge before a full moon aswell..

and my moon sign is "Cancer "

jdogg
Last Login:June 22, 2010, 12:14:26 pm

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 22, 2010, 12:14:26 pm »

I have also had these issues.  It seems like right before the moon is full, about a week, my pulse starts racing and I can't fall asleep.  I become irritable and worry about nothing and everything.  All of the worst experiences of my life come back in vivid detail.  I guess you could call that generalized anxiety.  I didn't notice until college that it had a cycle and a certain logic to it.  I didn't realize until later that it has to do with the moon.

I was on Prozac for many years and that seemed to turn it "off" or, at least, mute the effects.  I stopped taking Prozac because of the prohibitive costs of seeing a psychiatrist and the drowsiness and numbness that seem to accompany it.  This year I have been hit hard by these "panic attacks" and they always align with the moon.  I too am drawn to the moon by this relationship, though I wonder whether it's in my head.  I love the moon, but it also sort of pisses me off. 

If we all have this problem, there must be something to it, right?  Anecdotally, the moon has been reported as having an effect on people's behavior, but   statistically it has not been proven.  Perhaps we are more sensitive than the general public?  Or maybe no one wants to admit this kind of thing?
Rationality
Apprentice
Last Login:June 28, 2010, 10:40:29 am
Canada Canada

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 22, 2010, 12:35:29 pm »

I would say what Star said. That's why I am quoting it, obliviously.

And also humans are really good to convince themselves of some things that are fairly irrational and to give themselves "feelings" and associate things together.

Basically, I would say it started with Hormones and eventually, since you made a link between the moon and those weird feelings you'd get, you created anxiety towards it.

I'm not sure if it makes sense and I also cannot think of any good example. But I guess see it as how you can get some uneasy feeling to hold a gun or touch the sharp side of a knife, maybe? Since you associate it with bad things, you get some bad feelings from it until it's over.

Or see it opposite to a junkie in need of drugs! Woah, what awesome example. Jeez, I'm great.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)