The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 11, 2020, 10:00:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2020, 10:00:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I need help finding my path...  (Read 12307 times)
OwlMedicine_(0)v(0)
Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 08:58:48 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Native American/Shaman

Mark (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm) Tamaska (all other hours)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 07, 2009, 07:09:36 pm »

After a mighty struggle, I have finally shed the last remnants of my Catholic up-bringing, and to accept that I'm a Pagan.
I have started to read up on the different Pagan religions, but I have to admit there are sooooooo many theologies, I'm feeling overwhelmed and lost. I don't have time to read up on every one!

I know this is a very personal thing, but was wondering those of you who are experienced could help point me in the right direction.

I have a list of things that are important/pertain to me:

1/2 Irish, 1/4 French, 1/4 Native American (not sure exactly what tribe, Quebec area) decent.
Very, very strong reverence for nature. I feel a spiritual connection when I'm outdoors.
I love animals, especially dogs, wolves and snakes.
I'm not opposed to hunting, but I am opposed to killing for sport.
Not really into Magick or spells or elaborate ritual (yet?) but not against them.
I love Native American Flute music.
I seem to have an affinity for Celtic knot stuff.
I like to meditate (nude if possible, ...OK I'm a nudist as well, I think modesty is a silly concept).
I'm drawn to night (because of the peace and tranquility)
I like to look at the stars and moon.
I like to drink beer and (dare I say it) smoke ganja (I really seem to meditate and think more clearly)
I'm NOT an alcoholic or junkie. I hate being really drunk or totally wasted, just slightly buzzed. Stronger substances have their purposes, but are only appropriate for DIRE circumstances ONLY.
I believe in some sort of creator(s), and lesser deities, (God/Goddess) that oversee things and help us.
I believe in some form of reward for good
I like the concept of balance, Yin-Yang, the cyclical aspects of things.
I'm very calm, level headed, intelligent, have a good sense of humor (silly, Monty Pythonish)

I put Celtic/Shaman in my bio, but which Celtic sect, and how do I know what dieties I should I attempt to contact (or expected to be contacted by), and how will I know.

Thank you,
Mark (Mon through Friday, 9:00am-5:30pm)
Tamaska (all other hours) 

Mark (Mon - Fri, 9am - 5:30pm)
OwlMedicine (all other hours)
To clearly see what has not focus, one must alter the lens of ones perception.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

ladysade
Apprentice
Last Login:December 22, 2009, 01:13:47 pm

Religion: wiccan
TCN ID: http://ecauldron.ning.com/profile/ladesade

I am part of the moon ... and its beauty

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 09, 2009, 10:34:37 pm »

we cant help you choose your path , you are the one who knows yourself better then we do..

and if you feel more connected to a different path of paganism..then go for it..

I am not trying to be rude..

do whateer makes you feel right at heart

Lizard
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 12, 2011, 11:23:10 pm

Religion: Melting Pot, for now

Everything is transient.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 10, 2009, 12:54:52 am »

After a mighty struggle, I have finally shed the last remnants of my Catholic up-bringing, and to accept that I'm a Pagan.
I have started to read up on the different Pagan religions, but I have to admit there are sooooooo many theologies, I'm feeling overwhelmed and lost. I don't have time to read up on every one!

I know this is a very personal thing, but was wondering those of you who are experienced could help point me in the right direction.

<snip>

I put Celtic/Shaman in my bio, but which Celtic sect, and how do I know what dieties I should I attempt to contact (or expected to be contacted by), and how will I know.
I have to giggle as I have known several people who termed themselves recovering Catholics, although they never seemed to completely shed Catholicism.  So, I think congrats!?  Smiley

As for your questions...
You have quite a list there.  In exploring on this board and jumping off onto different links I have learned a bunch in the last couple of months.  I still can't say exactly where I fit, although I do have a better idea where I don't fit.  Also, I have come to better terms with not fitting with my Christian upbringing. 

So, I am trying on different flavors of paganism for right now.  Quite frankly, I had no idea there were so many different options.  I have found that there are several (Kemetic and Hellenistic) that I would not have thought to explore if I hadn't been rabbit-trailing off after a mention of a particular deity or other.  Kind of like Alice and the White Rabbit, but I'm trying to keep good (mental) notes and definitely not eating any 'shrooms. Wink

Personally, I have learned things about religion in general that I had never considered, f.ex. solitary v. group v. ecclectic practices v. recon v. hard polytheism v. soft polytheism v. pantheism.

I guess what I am saying is that it seems unlikely that someone will have the perfect answer to where you fit.  If you feel you are interested in Celtic religion, then go explore it.  Check into any groups that are near you physically as well as read online or buy books. 

I know I haven't really given you any answers, sorry for that.  It seems that for many of us there is a lot to be said for the journey, not just the destination.  Hey, if you start into something and its it all wrong, you can change, right?

Time to shed my skin, again...

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
    "You ask a glass of water." -Douglas Adams

Is the glass half-empty or half-full?  Well, since you can't add anything to it, without displacing some gas, liquid or solid, I would say it is completely full.  - Me
pentacookie
Last Login:September 12, 2009, 10:17:30 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 10, 2009, 11:36:17 pm »

I have a list of things that are important/pertain to me:

1/2 Irish, 1/4 French, 1/4 Native American (not sure exactly what tribe, Quebec area) decent.
Very, very strong reverence for nature. I feel a spiritual connection when I'm outdoors.
I love animals, especially dogs, wolves and snakes.
I'm not opposed to hunting, but I am opposed to killing for sport.
Not really into Magick or spells or elaborate ritual (yet?) but not against them.
I love Native American Flute music.
I seem to have an affinity for Celtic knot stuff.
I like to meditate (nude if possible, ...OK I'm a nudist as well, I think modesty is a silly concept).
I'm drawn to night (because of the peace and tranquility)
I like to look at the stars and moon.
I like to drink beer and (dare I say it) smoke ganja (I really seem to meditate and think more clearly)
I'm NOT an alcoholic or junkie. I hate being really drunk or totally wasted, just slightly buzzed. Stronger substances have their purposes, but are only appropriate for DIRE circumstances ONLY.
I believe in some sort of creator(s), and lesser deities, (God/Goddess) that oversee things and help us.
I believe in some form of reward for good
I like the concept of balance, Yin-Yang, the cyclical aspects of things.
I'm very calm, level headed, intelligent, have a good sense of humor (silly, Monty Pythonish)

Thank you,
Mark (Mon through Friday, 9:00am-5:30pm)
Tamaska (all other hours) 

Hiya!

As I'm sure you realize, no one can help you choose your spiritual path, so I won't presume to try, but I can pass on some advice that helped me find my way.

First off, you're on the right track.  You are able to list your beliefs and know what is important to you.  So at least you're not still in that confusing "WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!" stage.  As you learn more, continue to listen to yourself, and remind yourself what is important to you.

Second, study.  You don't have to try to learn the ins and outs of every single pagan religion in the world; that's a daunting and damn near impossible task.  However, you can start reading up on specific topics that interest you, such as shamanism, Celtic legend, or anything else that catches your fancy.  As you learn about these branches of your spirituality, you will probably come across other things you'd like to study, or decide you want to focus more closely on one area of study.  You may never be able to slap an accurate label on your personal brand of religion, and that's okay.  Having a strong faith without a name is better than trying to squish your beliefs into one umbrella term.

Finally, you say you don't have time to read up on every pagan religion, and as I said, don't feel pressured to be an expert on everything.  But also realize that you DO have time; you have your entire life to pursue your spiritual goals.  Don't feel like there's a deadline, or that you have to have all (or even any!) of the answers within a specific amount of time.  Don't rush.  Don't stress.  Just learn and experiment, and trust me, you will enjoy the ride.

Good luck!
Shelbe7
Last Login:September 12, 2009, 07:35:56 am

Religion: Neo Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 11, 2009, 01:52:29 pm »

I understand where you are coming from. I had the same issue when I started too. What I did was go to Witches Voice and they have a great list of pagan religons with a brief explanation of each. It was easier to narrow down what did not feel right to me. The ones I was still left with I researched further until I found the right path for me. Also meditation is a great way to guide you as well. Open your mind, heart and most important your ears and allow the Goddess to talk to you.

It can be a difficult journey but one well worth the effort. Never fear, you will find the right path for you. You do not have to rush it.

Hope this helps.

Blessed Be!
Shelbe

Blessed Be

Shelbe
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 09:37:09 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: September 11, 2009, 04:11:58 pm »

Just a reminder, Shelbe7; don't forget to quote - here's where you can find TC's quoting guidelines.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Browen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 04, 2010, 09:21:31 pm

Religion: Pagan
TCN ID: BrandyNFerrell

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 11, 2009, 09:49:00 pm »

I have been where you are, and boy did it stink. What I have come to realize is that I don't need a "title". It does make it a little easier to explain to outsiders, but I found that my set of beliefs don't fit perfectly with any one particular pagan path.  I'm techincally still "untitled". I lean more towards Celtic, but sometimes feel drawn to Greek dieties or things like that.  I say do what makes you happy. If you find a path that fits you well, then by all means, follow it. But don't let it bother you to fall under the general name of "pagan". I agree with the others, study, study, study. The Witch's Voice is a great place to learn; so is this forum. I haven't been here long, but this group has been particularly helpful. Happy learning.

Browen

We are what we think...
All that we are, arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts
We make our world
- Buddha
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 13, 2009, 09:29:49 pm »

Well, you can start by reading a Livejournal post I did for seekers: http://trekkieturtle.livejournal.com/2009/08/23/

I'm planning a whole series of these articles. But big topics to think of as you're seeking are:

- Do I like to follow established paths, or would I prefer to make my own?
- What cultures am I interested in?
- How do I feel about deity? One god? Many gods?
- Do I want to practice with a group or separately?
- How much time am I willing to devote to spirituality?
- What am I willing to sacrifice for training/learning?
- What do I feel about magic?
- What other topics interest me? Divination? Herbalism?
- What paths interest me?

For a lot of preliminary research, the net is a great resource. Read the articles here at the Cauldron site. Check out Witchvox and the Pagan & Wiccan site at About.com. Go to your local public library and check out mythology books. Go out into nature and spend some time thinking about yourself and where you'd like to go.

Ultimately, this is YOUR journey and YOU are in the driver's seat. Explore concepts that fascinate you. Try a path on for size and see if you like it. Make contact with local pagans. Get recommendations for reading lists. Try your own simple rituals in whatever style you'd like. Talk to the Gods and make offerings. Things will start to come together.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 13, 2009, 10:57:22 pm »

First and foremost, I want to say congratulations on becoming a "Recovering Catholic" and accepting what you feel is right in your heart. For that you deserve a big hurruah!

Secondly, I have to agree with everyone who said we can't help you choose your path. That is a very personal thing and it has to be absolutely right for you. That being said, I can give you my advice.

Paganism is a HUGE topic to research. What I did was look close to home. Take your ancestory into account and look into it. You said you have some Irish and Native American in you? Check out the Celtic paths and some Native American paths. Perhaps a form of Celtic Shamanism? Some type of Anglo-Saxon tradition?  You can also look back and see what you agreed with in your former religion. Find a path that follows that kind've wave-length.

Other than that, the best advice I can give you is the same thing Karen (dragonfaerie, I hope you don't mind me calling you Karen Smiley) said. Define your beliefs first, before you go labelling yourself. What you believe is far more important than a label for your beliefs.

Good luck!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)