The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 13, 2019, 09:34:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2019, 09:34:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: When Others Pray For You?  (Read 26021 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #105: May 14, 2007, 04:10:27 pm »

Aid is not 'providing'.  Aid is help.  Big difference IMO.  The aid from the gods should be sought before the magic commences. This was what I meant by calling on your gods for aid.  Calling on them to aid you in your decisions, to make sure you are making the right decisions...before commencing with the magic.

OK, I think there was a communication breakdown in the very beginning of all this, then.  If I read Purplewitch's post correctly, it looked like she was calling on her goddess to aid her in her working, to add extra oomph to the magic, not just to help her make the right decision.  During the magic, not before.  "Help me do this," not, "Help me decide what to do."  I assumed your answer and all of the discussion that followed to be in the same context.  (If I have misinterpreted Purplewitch's post, I hope she'll correct me.)

Your comments do make a lot more sense taken in the context of asking for help making decisions rather than asking for the Gods to provide more...  concrete?...  help.  I would still say that sometimes the answer will still be silence, because sometimes They're going to make you stand on your own two feet and make your own decisions.  But at least I can understand what you're saying a little better in this context.  In this context, it really doesn't make as much sense to ask if you don't expect some sort of an answer (even if that answer is "no"), IMHO.

It's just...  that context seems to be different from the one in which the original comment was made.  Hence, confusion.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Goth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 20, 2007, 11:40:36 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #106: May 14, 2007, 04:13:03 pm »

thanks Star Smiley
now if someone would just come shift furniture for me so I had more time.... Wink

If I lived nearer...I'd be there Smiley

I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot *hugs*
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #107: May 14, 2007, 04:13:50 pm »

Aid is not 'providing'.  Aid is help.  Big difference IMO.  The aid from the gods should be sought before the magic commences. This was what I meant by calling on your gods for aid.  Calling on them to aid you in your decisions, to make sure you are making the right decisions...before commencing with the magic.

Calling on them for aid in deciding the right/best course of action in a particular situation isn't the same thing as calling on them to aid in 'doing' something about it.

As i'm interpreting what you said ( - which may or may not be your intended interpretation) - what you just described seems to be calling on their aid as to what magic to do and then doing the magic without their assistance.

From a religious witch PoV, there's no reason not to ask for their help in doing the magic as well as in deciding what magic to do.
Not a necessity, and no, I don't invoke her in all magic, but that's another topic Wink which i'll get to eventually.

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #108: May 14, 2007, 04:15:07 pm »

If I lived nearer...I'd be there Smiley

I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot *hugs*

no worries Smiley
I'll take all the help i can get with the furniture!

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #109: May 14, 2007, 04:18:08 pm »

OK, I think there was a communication breakdown in the very beginning of all this, then.  If I read Purplewitch's post correctly, it looked like she was calling on her goddess to aid her in her working, to add extra oomph to the magic, not just to help her make the right decision.  During the magic, not before.  "Help me do this," not, "Help me decide what to do."  
Must.. go... lol

but, yes, that was what I was saying. FWIW the 'what to do' was a separate thing, I was talking about the actual working that came after that part Smiley

I still say the baseball bat would have been more fun... *grumbles*

Goth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 20, 2007, 11:40:36 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #110: May 14, 2007, 04:20:22 pm »

OK, I think there was a communication breakdown in the very beginning of all this, then.  If I read Purplewitch's post correctly, it looked like she was calling on her goddess to aid her in her working, to add extra oomph to the magic, not just to help her make the right decision.  During the magic, not before.  "Help me do this," not, "Help me decide what to do."  I assumed your answer and all of the discussion that followed to be in the same context.  (If I have misinterpreted Purplewitch's post, I hope she'll correct me.)

Your comments do make a lot more sense taken in the context of asking for help making decisions rather than asking for the Gods to provide more...  concrete?...  help.  I would still say that sometimes the answer will still be silence, because sometimes They're going to make you stand on your own two feet and make your own decisions.  But at least I can understand what you're saying a little better in this context.  In this context, it really doesn't make as much sense to ask if you don't expect some sort of an answer (even if that answer is "no"), IMHO.

It's just...  that context seems to be different from the one in which the original comment was made.  Hence, confusion.  Wink

No problem.  Sometimes it's hard to get our point across effectively...especially in cyberspace.  The written word can often be misconstrued.

I hope we can continue...on the right foot...from now on *grins*
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 17, 2019, 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #111: May 14, 2007, 06:30:05 pm »

Well, if I wasn't 100% sure of getting results...I wouldn't focus on the goal.  Isn't that the whole idea?  You don't craft magic hoping it will work.

Magic and prayer are separate things for me. Magic is something I do for myself (even if I call on my deities for aid). Prayer is when I call on the Gods to do something -- but no matter how much faith I have in their existence, I don't expect them to always give me what I want/desire any more than I would expect my parents or my friends to always do so.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
feral
Apprentice
Last Login:April 11, 2009, 07:26:55 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #112: May 19, 2007, 03:14:01 am »

I was just wondering how people felt about when people say they're praying for you when you don't ask for it.

Ya know, some people's prayers feel like nothing more than meaningless words, and others feel like spellwork whether they are or not (I think some people who pray are praying... and some are casting without knowing it). But basically, if someone has basically good intentions toward me, as long as they aren't trying to interfere in my life, I'm more than happy to let that in. But anything else can't come see me as far as I'm concerned. Someone can pray til their head hurts for me to find their religion or lord or such and I don't think it matters.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)