The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 16, 2019, 12:25:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2019, 12:25:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: When Others Pray For You?  (Read 25707 times)
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 07, 2007, 12:17:22 pm »

And I think that's scarily true for me too, and too big a can of worms for me to open right now, but, if I had to say how often in the last couple of years I actually 'prayed' - as opposed to 'conversing' with my goddess.... well, in honesty, once. And at that point in that situation, yes, I was out of options and yes it was a huge big whiny 'mom!! Help me (well... not me exactly but.. yeah...) please!' kind of one.  Embarrassed

Oh, I've noticed that too, within myself. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I feel so desperate in a situation that I have no control over, that I'm more or less crying to every god(ess) I know and some I don't know all that well to help. Not usually for me, but once for my friend, who is in a situation that had me hysterical for weeks. I prayed, begged, cried, screamed...I felt like I was at he end of my rope, helpless.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: May 07, 2007, 01:09:46 pm »

I'm sorry, I was creating a generalized response to the thread as a whole and did not realize that a quote was necessary.  I'll try to make sure I don't make the same mistake again.

There's no problem with making a general response to the thread as a whole as long as you say something like "This is to everybody" at the beginning of your post. The reason we're so sticky on the whole quote issue is we moved here from software that would automatically track messages. All we have here is the quote button to be able to keep track of who responded to what post where.

Thanks for understanding.  Smiley

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 07, 2007, 01:29:56 pm »

Oh, I've noticed that too, within myself. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I feel so desperate in a situation that I have no control over, that I'm more or less crying to every god(ess) I know and some I don't know all that well to help. Not usually for me, but once for my friend, who is in a situation that had me hysterical for weeks. I prayed, begged, cried, screamed...I felt like I was at he end of my rope, helpless.

I tend to have more "conversations" with my goddess too, but that's the way that I prayed even when I was still part of the Christian church.  Though in my opinion the best prayers for me are actually meditations where I'm not doing any of the talking.  I figure if my goddess is actually my goddess She probably already knows what i'd ask anyways, so I just have to listen for the answer. 

Ana

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 07, 2007, 01:58:09 pm »

I tend to have more "conversations" with my goddess too, but that's the way that I prayed even when I was still part of the Christian church.  Though in my opinion the best prayers for me are actually meditations where I'm not doing any of the talking.  I figure if my goddess is actually my goddess She probably already knows what i'd ask anyways, so I just have to listen for the answer. 

Smiley A lot of times my "prayers" are in the form of emotional thought bubbles going back and forth between me and the gods. No actual words used. Morrigu explained something to me yesterday that defies explanation...in a way that defies explanation. That seems to happen quite often.

juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 07, 2007, 02:43:27 pm »

I think prayer is something completely different than magic. Magic is using your force of will to change reality. Prayer is asking a deity to change reality for you if he/she wants to...

That's how I feel about it as well, so being prayed at/on isn't much of an issue. The closest I come to Christian type prayer is asking Sekhmet to assist me with my working.

However, as most folks I know are Pagans of one sort or another, it doesn't come up much. If people did begin to declare they were going to pray for me on a regular basis I would find that a tactless assumption, very rude and minorly irritating, even if they did mean well.
dragonfly
Last Login:May 16, 2007, 03:10:13 pm

Religion: n/a

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 07, 2007, 05:13:57 pm »

I would have to agree that although I may not personally like what they are doing, most of the time they mean well.  That is unless you have someone like my grandmother who not only prays for me but decides to baptize my children while she was babysitting without my consent of course.  So it doesn't really bother me unless someone takes it to far and actually forces their views on someone else or their children.  What one person believes is right may not be what is write for another.  Of course there are some people that you will never be able to convince that they areen't doing the right thing.  Those people in their own eyes are never wrong.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: May 07, 2007, 05:18:39 pm »

I would have to agree that although I may not personally like what they are doing, most of the time they mean well.  That is unless you have someone like my grandmother who not only prays for me but decides to baptize my children while she was babysitting without my consent of course.  So it doesn't really bother me unless someone takes it to far and actually forces their views on someone else or their children.  What one person believes is right may not be what is write for another.  Of course there are some people that you will never be able to convince that they areen't doing the right thing.  Those people in their own eyes are never wrong.

Welcome to the Cauldron!

(btw, can you please use the quote function?  if it's to the original post, just quote that one.  Thanks).

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 07, 2007, 05:25:09 pm »

Welcome Smiley

That is unless you have someone like my grandmother who not only prays for me but decides to baptize my children while she was babysitting without my consent of course. 

And that is, not only way too far, but one instance where the guilty party would have both me and mine to deal with... despite the fact that we come at certain thing from very different places. Luckily I don't think we have anyone who would... especially since annoying (to put it politely) one of us is something most people try to avoid. Both of us at once? I don't think anyone in the family is THAT stupid (although evidence suggests they might be) Wink

Ana
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: May 07, 2007, 05:28:09 pm »

You know, the funny thing about baptism is that doesn't actually bother me as much.  It would piss me off, of course, but I see it kind of like they're grasping at straws.  I was baptized when I was a baby, but obviously it didn't keep me from arriving where I am today.  My mother wanted me to baptize my son, but of course I told her no.  I'm not willing to make that oath and mean it, so therefore I will not make that oath.  I'm getting over the "I'm praying for you" thing, but I will still pray/send energy/light candles for those who ask it of me.  I think many Christians feel that they are doing the right thing because their religion tells them that they are the ONLY way.  I don't see it quite so much in other religions.  I've heard Islam is the same, but I don't know many muslims.

Ana

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: May 07, 2007, 08:13:40 pm »

My husband is a Mennonite 'escapee', and his family had been praying for him, in focussed prayer circles, for a few years before we met.  It hadn't brought him back, but when I taught him to shield he lost a lot of his self doubt and conflict.  He had been drifting, refusing to speak to his family, unable to settle down.

This is interesting.  It gave me a new perspective on some things - cool.

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: May 07, 2007, 08:26:49 pm »

You know, the funny thing about baptism is that doesn't actually bother me as much.  

I should clarify, that it wasn't the act of baptism, itself, but the person performing the act without permission tht I was mostly referring to...

I'm not sure if that makes it clearer or muddier lol

Ana
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: May 07, 2007, 08:32:08 pm »

I should clarify, that it wasn't the act of baptism, itself, but the person performing the act without permission tht I was mostly referring to...

I'm not sure if that makes it clearer or muddier lol

Yeah, I know.  I'd be livid if one of my relatives did that without my permission.  In my opinion it's unethical as well as just showing obvious disrespect and disregard for your feelings and beliefs. 

Ana

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #27: May 07, 2007, 08:44:29 pm »

Yeah, I know.  I'd be livid if one of my relatives did that without my permission.  In my opinion it's unethical as well as just showing obvious disrespect and disregard for your feelings and beliefs. 

Exactly, it just takes all the other 'without permission' things and adds an extra level.

And actually, it's probably not me someone that stupid would have to worry about, and yes, I am evil enough to giggle at what he would do to that someone.
Okay, going away now Cheesy

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: May 09, 2007, 11:03:33 pm »

/snip/ ...but I was wondering what everyone else's opinion was.

I'd rather they didn't.  The only exception that I make to this is if I specifically request their assitance.  So far that hasn't happened.  I'm in the camp that views other peoples prayers as a method of raising and casting energy.  I end up feeling anything from a mild pressure/discomfort all the way to severe anxiety depending on the amount of 'prayer' cast my direction and how vulnerable I feel/am at that moment.

I suppose my attitude would be different if prayer wasn't used so frequently as a 'spiritual' weapon against the 'unbelievers'.   "I'll pray for you." to often means "I'll ask my God to intercede in your life because I don't like your choices."  To be perfectly blunt, that is a rude and arrogant stance and I feel perfectly justified with putting up a mirror and reflecting the 'prayer' back to the instigator.  Personally, I'd much rather invert the frequency and force feed it to such an arrogant, self-righteous blowhard but I really don't want to be responsible for the fallout on that. So, I use a passive form of defense.  There has only been one occasion in my life where I needed to take the offensive and I really didn't like who I had to become to do so.

I had an occasion last month where I was taking a class for state licensing that included having a photo taken to submit with the filing of the paperwork.  As it happened, the individual operating the computer setup was unfamiliar with graphic editing.  I was asked if I knew anything about it and, since I was friendly with the instructor, I offered to take a look.  In the course of working things out the computer operator said, "You'll be in my prayers tonight."  I suppressed a flinch and simply responded, "Oh, that won't be necessary."  A little while later her daughter asked me what the inscription on my ring meant.  I translated the Gaelic for her and noticed she didn't ask about the pentacle ring on the next finger.  Ho hum...

I've found that simply deflecting someones need to pray for me with a simple "That won't be necessary." seems to work for most people.  So far no one's pressed the matter. 

I got *god bless you!* by a teacher at the school the other day... /snip/ ...I just said uh.. thanks.  You too.

My response has always been, "Gods, I hope not.  I've been trying to fly under the radar."

That is unless you have someone like my grandmother who not only prays for me but decides to baptize my children while she was babysitting without my consent of course.

Had that been done to my children - oh, man, the Wild Hunt couldn't have held me back.  In fact I think I would have been leading the Hunt.  At the very least she would never have been left alone with my children again.  I would quite probably have had a word with the officiating priest as well and perhaps have even called in his superiors.  I mean, what priest would perform a baptism without the parents present or at the very least their consent?

My mother wanted me to baptize my son, but of course I told her no.  I'm not willing to make that oath and mean it, so therefore I will not make that oath.

This is something that I've been wondering about for a couple of years.  If you are baptised as a baby, as most are, is the oath binding?  The individual so baptised is incapable of voicing their consent or understanding what it means.  Christianity/Catholicism holds that this rite, if I remember correctly, is to wash the sin from the individual and thereby adopt them into their faith and then into their Heaven when the individual dies.  What happens when a baptised individual walks away from Christianity as many pagans have?  Is the oath broken or is there more to it?

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #29: May 10, 2007, 11:23:45 am »

General Note:

The discussion about Baptism has been split off into its own thread.  It can be found here:
Baptism and Pagans

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)