The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 13, 2019, 09:11:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2019, 09:11:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: When Others Pray For You?  (Read 26020 times)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #30: May 10, 2007, 11:40:26 am »

My response has always been, "Gods, I hope not.  I've been trying to fly under the radar."
Can I steal that one?

Had that been done to my children - oh, man, the Wild Hunt couldn't have held me back.  In fact I think I would have been leading the Hunt.  At the very least she would never have been left alone with my children again. 

Definitely. I am just very grateful that none of the family are overly...religious (isn't exactly the word I wanted but...) or inclined to do that. Enough fur flies over generational differences in parenting without adding another dimension to it lol

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: May 10, 2007, 12:12:54 pm »

Can I steal that one?

Please be my guest.  It gets the point across and usually leaves the individual casting the blessing chuckling if not bemused.

Quote from: Purplewitch
Definitely. I am just very grateful that none of the family are overly...religious (isn't exactly the word I wanted but...) or inclined to do that. Enough fur flies over generational differences in parenting without adding another dimension to it lol

Fortunately I don't have the problem of others overstepping bounds in this case.  There aren't any to be bothered with.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
searching4center
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 10, 2007, 02:55:01 pm

Religion: Pagan/Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: May 10, 2007, 01:13:39 pm »

Christians are required by their Bilbe to "recruit" and teach others about their religion.  If they are sincere to their religion and honestly try to follow their beliefs.  I respect that! 
When christians "politely" ask me to church, and then say they will be praying for me, I respect that.  I feel they want me to find the same joy in their religion that they have found.  However, I don't know many people that truly follow the beliefs they proclaim to have.  I welcome ALL "sincere prayers"  that are sent my way!  And I figure if the prayers are insincere or judgemental, that either their God or Mine will rectify the matter. 

When you are talking to the Gods...  Be respectful!  The Gods will hear you!  (Especially if you said it from your heart, not your mouth)
BB ~Norma
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #33: May 10, 2007, 01:55:11 pm »

Please be my guest.  It gets the point across and usually leaves the individual casting the blessing chuckling if not bemused.

Thanks Smiley
If our 'resident' recruiters ever stop by again I'll remember it, but it's been a long while since they stopped, I just see them pass by almost every day. They're nice guys, and polite Smiley

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #34: May 10, 2007, 02:03:49 pm »

BB ~Norma

Welcome Smiley

Christians are required by their Bilbe to "recruit" and teach others about their religion.  If they are sincere to their religion and honestly try to follow their beliefs.  

They may be required to do so, common courtesy requests they do it politely, as long as they're polite and doing it to adults I have no problem with it. Attempting proselytization on children is another kettle of fish, and, well, don't try it on mine Wink
Too many I've run into aren't polite about it unfortunately.

I know some religions require proselytization, but it's an issue I have strong opnions on. (Which means I need to be quiet now Wink )

Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #35: May 10, 2007, 02:13:28 pm »

I got *god bless you!* by a teacher at the school the other day, and I couldn't figure out if it's because my son likes to tell others what he has recently learned about our faith, or because I brought the paints to the classroom, but all the same, I just said uh.. thanks.  You too.

Yeah, I usually ignore it when someone says it to me (especially when they are saying it to be mean, like when I was protesting in support of a local strip club, and some fundies reeeeeallllly didn't want me to do so), but recently a coworker lost her husband, and since she's a devout christian (and doesn't know what I am - I am not *out* at work because I just really don't care to be. I wouldn't lie if asked, but since no one asks, well,...), she answers every bit of support with "god bless you." I can't ignore that, so I just hem and haw and say thanks, because, well,  she needs the support.   Undecided
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #36: May 10, 2007, 03:14:40 pm »

Christians are required by their Bilbe to "recruit" and teach others about their religion.  If they are sincere to their religion and honestly try to follow their beliefs.  I respect that! 
When christians "politely" ask me to church, and then say they will be praying for me, I respect that.  I feel they want me to find the same joy in their religion that they have found.  However, I don't know many people that truly follow the beliefs they proclaim to have.  I welcome ALL "sincere prayers"  that are sent my way!  And I figure if the prayers are insincere or judgemental, that either their God or Mine will rectify the matter. 

When you are talking to the Gods...  Be respectful!  The Gods will hear you!  (Especially if you said it from your heart, not your mouth)
BB ~Norma

Usually what I say when invited to someone else's church is that I am a member of a small denomination that meets sporadically and I just wouldn't feel right worshiping anywhere else.  I feel needed where I am.  There are so few members that it really makes a difference if I come or not. 

Because of my loyalties, I just wouldn't feel right.   Wink

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: May 10, 2007, 06:58:32 pm »

Christians are required by their Bilbe to "recruit" and teach others about their religion.

Oh, believe me I understand.  The problem is that many people simply don't hear the word, "No."  If I end up with someone knocking on my door and wanting to share with me the Word I have the right to say, "No, thank you." and simply close the door.  I've yet to come across one of these folks who will simply leave it at that.  They continue to push.  When it gets to that point I feel I have the right to defend myself and push back.

Now, lest anyone start thinking I'm bashing Christians, that's not the case.  This happens in many groups.  Another one that cames to mind is getting hit on while at your local night scene.  I worked in a coffee roasting company down the street from several clubs while in college.  I was hit on by so many gay men that I began to understand how women felt when they simply wanted to go out dancing with their friends.  I got tired of hearing how much I looked like Freddie Mercury.  Some of these guys simply refused to hear the word, "No."

Another group is the telemarketers.  They're just as bad and most completely lack any kind of phone etiquette. It's gotten to the point where I hardly answer my phone anymore.

So while the Christians may be directed by their holy scriptures to Witness to non-believers they need to understand the word, "No."  Essentially, "Your rights end where my nose begins.  Push past that point and I'll push back."

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: May 10, 2007, 08:08:41 pm »

Usually what I say when invited to someone else's church is that I am a member of a small denomination that meets sporadically and I just wouldn't feel right worshiping anywhere else.  I feel needed where I am.  There are so few members that it really makes a difference if I come or not. 

Because of my loyalties, I just wouldn't feel right.   Wink

I've told people a number of things before.  When a group of people came to my house to "invite me" to their church (never met or seen these people before) I was getting my mail and they wanted to come join my church.  I told them politely that I already had a place of worship.  They asked me, "Oh really?  Where?", kind of rudely, and I was in a bad mood, so I just looked at him straight in the eye and said, "I'm a privately practicing pagan.  I don't go to church, so please don't ask me again."  He looked shocked, with his mouth wide open... they didn't come back though, so I got what I wanted.  I've also told Mormon missionaries that came to my door that I couldn't go to their church because I worship the Goddess, and they don't allow her in their buildings.  Again, it shut them up and those particular ones didn't come back again.  Maybe I'm spiteful, but mostly I just don't feel like being bothered.

Ana

Tirah
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 04, 2008, 08:46:29 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: May 10, 2007, 10:47:07 pm »

I've also told Mormon missionaries that came to my door that I couldn't go to their church because I worship the Goddess, and they don't allow her in their buildings.  Again, it shut them up and those particular ones didn't come back again.

I once did something similar to some Jehovah Witnesses who came to my house years ago.  I had just finished with my morning devotionals and was feeling a bit playful so when they asked if they can come in and talk to me about God.  I said "sure come on in.  Tell me all about your god and I'll tell you about mine!"  I opened the door wide and from the doorway you could see the pentagram plaque above my fireplace and all my candles and incense burning.  They shook their head no and without another word they nearly ran away from my door.  Ever since then no Jehovah Witness had ever came to my door.  I even watched them walking around our neighborhood, going to my neighbors' houses then rush past mine.  Now, I know how much we all hate how people jump to the "satanist" conclusion but sometimes it works to our advantage!

Why conform to society when you can reform society?
---Tirah Dragonsong

Discovering My Path: http://tirah.livejournal.com
Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: May 11, 2007, 07:39:09 am »

I've also told Mormon missionaries that came to my door that I couldn't go to their church because I worship the Goddess, and they don't allow her in their buildings.  Again, it shut them up and those particular ones didn't come back again.  Maybe I'm spiteful, but mostly I just don't feel like being bothered.

I guess I've just been lucky.  Everyone who's ever come to my door has been exceedingly polite, and has left just as politely when I said "No, thank you" to them.  The Mormons even asked if I had any chores they could help with!

I have friends with good stories, though-  One who would routinely put on "Hells Bells" by AC/DC at high volume when he saw the JWs approaching, and one who got an ... interesting... reaction when she came to the door.  She had been baking bread in her nightgown, and came to the door in a long white dress, covered in flour and holding a large knife!  I don't think they bothered her again  Grin
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #41: May 11, 2007, 10:48:29 am »

I guess I've just been lucky.  Everyone who's ever come to my door has been exceedingly polite, and has left just as politely when I said "No, thank you" to them.  The Mormons even asked if I had any chores they could help with!

I have friends with good stories, though-  One who would routinely put on "Hells Bells" by AC/DC at high volume when he saw the JWs approaching, and one who got an ... interesting... reaction when she came to the door.  She had been baking bread in her nightgown, and came to the door in a long white dress, covered in flour and holding a large knife!  I don't think they bothered her again  Grin

This is going to sound like stereotyping but I don't mean it that way, this is just my personal experience Smiley

Where I used to live, it was always JWs coming around and they really didn't know how to take no for an answer, (Maybe because I was literally around the corner from their Hall...) here though, it's usually mormons and they are exceedingly polite and take no as an answer very well. As I said, just my experience, YMMV.

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: May 11, 2007, 01:17:14 pm »

I think prayer is something completely different than magic. Magic is using your force of will to change reality. Prayer is asking a deity to change reality for you if he/she wants to. This, however, doesn't really affect your basic question. Smiley

Except for Panthiests, who ARE god.  Cheesy

So when you hear me talking to myself, I'm actually praying. Tongue

I'll think more on this thread and perhaps come back.  Lunch break is over.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #43: May 11, 2007, 02:13:36 pm »

This is going to sound like stereotyping but I don't mean it that way, this is just my personal experience Smiley

Where I used to live, it was always JWs coming around and they really didn't know how to take no for an answer, (Maybe because I was literally around the corner from their Hall...) here though, it's usually mormons and they are exceedingly polite and take no as an answer very well. As I said, just my experience, YMMV.

I have never met an impolite or pushy JW in my area - but the Mormon contingent is a bit rabid. I am always polite if I open the door to whomever is trying to convert me, but I have had multiple incidents of the Mormon crews trying to actually open my door. They knock, jiggle door handle, knock and jiggle some more. I am stupified by this. I often wonder if they would actually walk in if my door were unlocked.

And then the Set kid in me wants to leave the door unlocked and let them come in - to me butt nekkid and holding a butcher knife. Or something. There are a few scenarios in my head that would work.  Grin
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #44: May 11, 2007, 02:27:25 pm »

Wow.  I never had any offer to help with chores.  But otherwise, yeah, I guess I've been lucky too.  JW's and Mormons both, as long as I'm polite to them they're polite to me, and leave after I say "no, thank you".  *shrug* 

I think it's a function of where I live, for me at least.  On political maps, our state is a sea of red...  But my home county is a little oasis of blue (well, more purpley, I guess) in the middle of it.  The college brings in a lot of diversity and liberal viewpoints, and even people who don't like that tend to be less vocal and pushy about their objections here than they are in the surrounding area.  My guess is that proselytizers tend to be less prevalent and less vocal as well as sort of an extension of that.  (In the past 10 years, my experience with door-to-door proselytizers is precisely three pairs of Mormons and one JW, with at least a year and often more than that between "visitors".)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)