The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 28, 2020, 11:01:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2020, 11:01:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why did your deity choose you?  (Read 28160 times)
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 08, 2009, 09:23:34 pm »

I've been thinking a lot about why I got so thoroughly "thwapped" by Wesir.  My question is, for the other thwappees on this board...why do you think you deity took an interest in you? 

I have a few theories about why deities might do such a thing:

-They see something in you that makes you well suited to do a certain type of service for them.

-The opposite:  They see something in you that is lacking, and they feel like they can teach you something that will help you become stronger in that area. 

-There is some common "personality trait".  This sounds  a lot like my first reason, but it's not quite the same. This has more to do with "getting along" with a particular entity, rather than having to necessarily do anything for them.

-They've always been there.  You just didn't notice.  Maybe they made you, or had some hand in the process of you coming into existence (this is sort of the K.O. way of looking at things).

If none of the above seem to fit for anyone, I'd welcome other theories. 

I don't think Wesir has given me any specific assignments.  At least, I haven't heard his voice screaming in my head "You must do X for me!"  But I have found myself wanting to do something interesting.  I have had this very strong urge to take water to cemeteries, and pour out offerings near the headstones that appear neglected.  I actually did this for the first time yesterday.  I gave priority to the ones where the names have mostly or completely worn down...or the ones where no name was ever placed at all.  There is this one spot in Columbia cemetery in Boulder, where there are three rough, red stones in a row together.  It's easy to tell that someone went up to the mountains and carried them down.  They have been crudely carved into something roughly headstone-shaped, but there are no inscriptions.  It's possible that the person who put those headstones down couldn't afford anything else, but wanted some marker there so they could just remember where their loved ones were buried. 

I was surprised what happened when I first poured out that water.  I got the strong sense that a lot of beings perked up their ears and paid attention.  It was like I'd unlocked something, or woke someone up.  That might sound frightening to a lot of people, but there was definitely no sense of any hostility.  Mostly I got the sense that everybody around me was just very...curious?  That's not quite the right word, but it will have to do for now.    I felt keenly aware of my surroundings but a little bit dizzy. 

I'm not saying that my patron took an interest in me just so I could take bottled water to cemeteries, but it definitely seems like an important thing for me to be doing right now.

Okay, I think I figured out at least a small chunk of the "why me" question just by writing about this.  I'd love to hear how other people have answered that question for themselves!

Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 09, 2009, 11:22:43 am »

My question is, for the other thwappees on this board...why do you think you deity took an interest in you? 

I fit in with your fourth option: They’ve always been there.  I do believe They created me, I believed so long before I even heard of the Kemetic Orthodoxy (or even thought They were Egyptian gods).  Just as I can see my physical and behavioral traits coming from both my mother’s and father’s sides of the family, I am able to see the gods’ influence in me, too.  Believing that They were responsible for my soul creation makes me make sense. 

This is not true for all of the gods in my life, only two.  The Others in my life I feel are around for a mixture of the rest of your options.

Because I am who I am, because of the way my Parents made me, I am well suited to do certain types of service, so They might tap me for a task or mission.  And because of my wonderfully beautiful and sparkling personality  Grin I do feel that I “get along” with certain deities without having to necessarily do anything for Them.  There is something to be said about simply “hanging out” with a deity that makes your day go kind of nice.

And yes, I also believe that some gods are in my life because They can help me to overcome challenges or to develop strength in areas where I am deficient.  Also sometimes Gods come into my life because I am in a particular relationship regarding one of Their children.  So there is your “none of the above”. Smiley

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 12, 2009, 10:07:27 pm »

I've been thinking a lot about why I got so thoroughly "thwapped" by Wesir.  My question is, for the other thwappees on this board...why do you think you deity took an interest in you?

More and more, I feel that the gods that work with me do so because we have similarities, or understand eachother in some way shape or form. I work (right now) most closely with Anpu and Setekh. Both of which I can fully relate to. Before I knew anything about Anpu, I was called a "Guide of the Lost" which Anpu is known for being a guide. Not to mention we both come from "broken" home type situations (depending on which era you're looking at his mythology, mind you). As for Setekh/Set, we both have come from similar backgrounds. I feel like Set always got the short end of the stick, people hate him for no reason. I have similar issues, or at least, have had them in the past. Not to mention, my red hair, and constant need for change probably helps Tongue

Aside from that, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other reasons why they have chosen me. Unlike Anpu, Set did request I get a statue of him, which I imagine is a good thing, and a sign that he wants me to stick around. I know I've been far more calm and balanced since he's been hanging around. So that's definitely a good thing.

Sorry for the ramble.. I'm a little out of it Tongue
-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 16, 2009, 11:53:45 am »

My thwap from Wepwawet was basically, "You do My work. Wanna do it for Me?" Pretty clear, that. We get along too, and He seems to have an interest in Thelemites, but the most basic part of it is that his Work aligns well with my understanding of mine.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: September 16, 2009, 07:29:55 pm »

why do you think you deity took an interest in you?

I don't know.   Undecided  She hasn't told me.

I think it's like the others have said.  I sort of do Her work anyway -- or one aspect of it.  I'm not a poet or a smith or a healer.  But I do work in the area of social justice.  Actually, at the moment, I'm working for a health advocacy organization (focusing on access to care for underserved children and adolescents), so maybe I fall into the "healer" category for now.   Cheesy

OTOH, I think She has been in my life a long time.  Much earlier than I realized.  So maybe there's some other kind of affinity, besides the kind of work I do.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 17, 2009, 12:55:39 am »

My question is, for the other thwappees on this board...why do you think you deity took an interest in you? 

For me, I know why my spirit guides came to me, but not so much my deities. Coyote came to me because I needed to know how to survive the chaos that was my childhood and adolescence without being broken, how to avoid the traps and bounty hunters. Bear came to me because, well, I am Bear. I look like a bear, I act like a bear, Bear teaches me things about plants, sniffing out nourishment that's buried deep, and catching salmon with a flip of my hand (which apparently is illegal in most states & almost gave my dad a heart attack the first time I did it when we went fishing together). Seal has been getting more familiar to me, and as much as I am Bear on the land, I am Seal in the water.

As far as the Gods go... Persephone and Hades have been with me since I was a child, and I see Them as somewhat parental. My life has given me a lot of experience with death. Persephone also shares the herbal teachings with Bear, and there is a shamanic aspect to my worship of Her. Ariadne came to me because I heard Her voice... and it seems like I always knew Dionysus because even when I'm in one of my alcoholic binge phases alcohol unlocks things for me, and I always heard His voice & felt His touch underlying the purely chemical effects of booze.

And the Vodou? The call to greater service of the lwa is immensely strong sometimes but I just can't give myself to them in this life - and I know they won't tell me why they want me unless I make the commitment. I have developed some suspicions about the lwa. I think if I underwent the initiations and did the work... it sounds conceited and pompous, but I get a weird feeling that they somehow want a spokesperson, a public figure that doesn't have any socio-economical stigma attached, someone who would have the ability to blend the charismatic spiritualism of Vodou with the historian/librarian aspects of eclectic Paganism and the relatively harmless public profile of mainstream Wicca. And I don't want to become that person which is a very small part of why I remain a student of Vodou and not an initiate.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #6: September 17, 2009, 01:19:49 pm »

Hah! Good question!
If I ever find out, I'll let you know.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 18, 2009, 11:46:09 pm »

I have no friggen clue. I WISH I knew why. Wishful thinking leads me to believe Dionysos has always been there. More practical reasoning might be when I had my first interest in Him. But I have reason to believe that perhaps He's been around since adolescence, who has kept pulling me forward through all the crap I went through as a child and a teenager. Because those I have told what happened to me (and this abuse occurred over a long period of time from several different people) were kind of amazed I hadn't offed myself or resigned to becoming some sort of humanity-hating hermit. I don't know for sure if this was a case of "divine intervention", but looking back on it now, I wonder... I also think its partially-wishful thinking that because for some reason people don't like me, I'm Other, and Dionysos is Other, so we're like two peas in a pod. Cheesy Tongue

I've also talked to people who do devotional divination work with Dionysos, and have asked what His role is in my life, or at least something similar. I've gotten the response that I'm supposed to do Something with Him, so I need to start doing something to get on that path! Well, thats the jist of it, anyways.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
skullhappy
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 01:23:58 pm

Religion: Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 13, 2009, 08:55:41 am »

Smiley

Very good question. I have often wondered the same thing, basically. I think, without knowing the final outcome of my journey, that She chose me because I needed Her. I come from a broken home and a mother who didn't want to be a mother, and as a conseqence I had a very rough childhood. I needed to survive that, which I did, and also need to steer the ship of my soul to calmer waters.

Sometimes I have my doubts. I think "maybe I'm fooling myself here with all this Goddess talk", and then something will happen that re inforces my basic beliefs in Her. The doubting is part of my basic personality, and has fueled much study into other religions and cultures, but She has always been there for me when I need Her. That is why She 'chose' me: I am a child of the Universe who's just trying to live the best life I can, and I need a protective loving Mother to help me along.
samham73
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 21, 2011, 12:13:39 pm
Spain Spain

Religion: Celtic shamanism/Norse Paganism

"not many are shamans, but shamanic practitioners"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 03, 2009, 11:37:39 am »

It seems quite common to beleive that they have always been there and it seems a good answer. I believe that the deitys havnt just always been there for me, but also for my hole family for thousands of years. I also believe that some gods and goddess` chose me because of my background in past lives and because of my personality.  Smiley
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 07, 2009, 08:09:21 pm »

No earthly clue. I am a small part Irish, but beyond that... are my writing skills intrinsic to me, or did She give me that gift? Same with my musical skills. More importantly, do I care? These things are crucial to me and my personality. Whether they come from me or Her doesn't matter. I use them to do Her work as well as my own.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Adare
Master Member
Last Login:April 22, 2012, 07:10:16 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 07, 2009, 09:02:35 pm »

I've been thinking a lot about why I got so thoroughly "thwapped" by Wesir.  My question is, for the other thwappees on this board...why do you think you deity took an interest in you?  

If none of the above seem to fit for anyone, I'd welcome other theories.  

I have an other for you. Smiley Though it also falls under the first three. When I started down my path, I had a really hard time accepting spirituality since I had turned away from Christianity years before. I liked the runes, but couldn't really accept that these 'myths' about the gods of the world could be real, and after months of searching hadn't connected with anything or one. Prolly my mindset as much as anything else.

Hubby and I were working with a trad gardnarian coven, and (on suggestion from a friend who was well along her path) after a full moon circle, I didn't ground the energy. I went home and threw the energy in an intense request, asking for a deity to 'contact' me, as it were, one that I could also accept. Ginormus mental blocks to deal with at the time. I had an intense dream, but why I remembered the dream was part of it involved holding a dog in my arms, and it bit me (not hard) cause all the other dogs were barking. In the morning searched for the elements of the dream and came up with Hecate. The more I found out about her, the more she 'fit' what I could accept. And she's been guiding me since.

I've been thwapped by Odin, though that falls under the 1st three as I wasn't seeking him, or seeking at all.  Smiley

Great question!!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 09:04:42 pm by Adare, Reason: typo! » Logged

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
 -Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 07, 2009, 11:16:14 pm »

I was chosen for service for Ma'at because of your second reason: I am utterly lacking in the whole cosmic harmony thing. I have always been a vindictive bitch, pardon the language, which is completely not in character with the Egyptian deity of truth, justice, and harmony. So, she came on over and thwapped me between the eyes a few years ago. She wants me on the straight and narrow path, which I find extremely difficult.

The other deity that thwapped me was Sekhmet. I think she chose me because I'm well suited to her. I am a hot and fiery person, ruled by emotions, unforgiving when wronged, and loyal to a fault. She saw in me what she has in her--end of story.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Lifewish
Journeyman
Last Login:October 06, 2011, 11:27:39 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 07, 2009, 11:47:03 pm »

I was thwapped by Seshat, in an "Over here, you idiot!  You belong here!" way.  I have been fascinated by all things Egyptian for as long as I can remember, so I believe the gods have always been in my life, waiting for me to notice.  Maybe She got tired of waiting and decided I needed to be hit over the head.

After Seshat got my attention, others--Ma'at, Ptah, Nefertem, Sekhmet, Sobek, and Bast--have made themselves known in my life and worship.  There is nothing I have been asked to do for them yet, so I think that some may be present because of our our interests tend the same way, and some as ideals and examples to live up to.

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 08, 2009, 01:04:31 am »

I've been thinking a lot about why I got so thoroughly "thwapped" by Wesir.  My question is, for the other thwappees on this board...why do you think you deity took an interest in you?  

I have a few theories about why deities might do such a thing:

-They see something in you that makes you well suited to do a certain type of service for them.

-The opposite:  They see something in you that is lacking, and they feel like they can teach you something that will help you become stronger in that area.  

-There is some common "personality trait".  This sounds  a lot like my first reason, but it's not quite the same. This has more to do with "getting along" with a particular entity, rather than having to necessarily do anything for them.

-They've always been there.  You just didn't notice.  Maybe they made you, or had some hand in the process of you coming into existence (this is sort of the K.O. way of looking at things).
Not exactly a "thwapee" here - that term makes me think of someone called into very intensive service of a deity, which is not the case for me.  (At least not so far.)  I do have a patron deity.  I'm not really sure anymore if I approached Dionysos or he approached me - I sought him out, but only after several experiences that pointed me in his direction.  I have had strong indications that he is pleased that I've come around and that a deeper relationship is possible, when and if I'm ready for it.

I've been thinking about this question ever since it was first posted.  My first answer was "I have no freaking idea."  I am so not what I'd imagine to be his type.  

But thinking about it, it could very well be a combination of the options you posted.

First, let me explain that I've spent most of my adult life taking medication for depression.  I did not like what it did to me, so about two years ago now, I stopped taking it under the supervision of my doctor.  

The reason I recognized Dionysos when things started pointing me in his direction is because he was a very strong presence in my life in my teen years.  Not blatantly - I was Christian at the time, then when I turned to paganism it was a very soft polytheistic variety - but he was manifest in many of the things that I cared passionately about and in a lot of the attitudes and beliefs that I held.

Then I got sick.  And I got medicated.  I grew terribly apathetic and lost sight of a lot of those things that were once very important.  I went nearly a decade without creating a single piece of art. I lost interest in music, poetry, everything that fascinated me.  I'd make half hearted attempts at spiritual practice, but they never went anywhere.  I lost that sense of experimentation that made me his.  I assumed that this was just growing up.  I didn't like it.

It wasn't long after the meds were completely out of my system that he made his reappearance.  Or that I was able to see him again - I don't think he actually went anywhere.  I imagine he'd be the last deity to abandon the mentally ill.  

So, anyway, I'm pretty sure of option #4.  Possibly option #3 - there was a personality match from the start, and/or option #2 - that personality got completely lost and he wants to help me reclaim it.  As for #1 - I'm still pretty broken.  He hasn't requested any service of me other than putting the pieces of myself back together.

(And please no one misinterpret this post - I'm a big fan of psychiatric meds whenever they're appropriate!!!  I just happen to have been mis-prescribed, or I suspect, mis-diagnosed.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:07:21 am by Thorn, Reason: punctuation » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)