The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 24, 2020, 05:56:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 05:56:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient fiber  (Read 4171 times)
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 11, 2009, 06:03:57 pm »

If fiber lust is 30,000 years old I am doomed!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32800617/ns/technology_and_science-science/

AntlerandHerb.com

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: September 11, 2009, 06:29:34 pm »

If fiber lust is 30,000 years old I am doomed!

You don't want to know the type of mental image the above statement gave me.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 11, 2009, 06:51:42 pm »

You don't want to know the type of mental image the above statement gave me.

Oh, I can imagine.  Grin

AntlerandHerb.com
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 11, 2009, 11:20:09 pm »

I think my first mental image upon reading the subject was a similar one to Mel's.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 12, 2009, 09:37:15 am »

Hypothesis:

What we know from this article: The fibres found were linen, made from wild flax, and they were dyed.  The fibres found are about 28,000 years old, plus or minus.  Based upon the total find, the site was a center of production of colorful fibre, and probably cloth, along with fur and leather goods.

What I'd guess: Given that this site strongly indicates production of larger amounts of fibre, the technology has to be considerably older than the 28,000 years of the site age.  That there is evidence of manufacture of vibrant cloth on the site supports this.  That the cloth was linen encourages me to believe that the fibre lust we suffer today (linen and wool being my own personal lusts, with silk and fine cotton next) was well entrenched in the human psyche by this time.

Conclusion: Fibre lust has to be no less than 30,000 years a part of our human way of life.

You should see my collection!  And I certainly don't have anywhere near enough yarn, and I could definitely use a few dress lengths of linen and twill.  *nodnodnod*

Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 14, 2009, 04:15:02 pm »

Hypothesis:

What we know from this article: The fibres found were linen, made from wild flax, and they were dyed.  The fibres found are about 28,000 years old, plus or minus.  Based upon the total find, the site was a center of production of colorful fibre, and probably cloth, along with fur and leather goods.

What I'd guess: Given that this site strongly indicates production of larger amounts of fibre, the technology has to be considerably older than the 28,000 years of the site age.  That there is evidence of manufacture of vibrant cloth on the site supports this.  That the cloth was linen encourages me to believe that the fibre lust we suffer today (linen and wool being my own personal lusts, with silk and fine cotton next) was well entrenched in the human psyche by this time.

Conclusion: Fibre lust has to be no less than 30,000 years a part of our human way of life.

You should see my collection!  And I certainly don't have anywhere near enough yarn, and I could definitely use a few dress lengths of linen and twill.  *nodnodnod*

Glad to know I'm not alone!

AntlerandHerb.com
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 12, 2010, 04:31:43 am »

Hypothesis:

Too bad linen is such a pain to spin.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 12, 2010, 12:53:03 pm »

Too bad linen is such a pain to spin.

I kinda enjoy the little bit I've done, but then wet spinning kind of appeals to me.  There are other fibers (tencel, silk...I'm looking at you) that make me want to tear my hair out, but flax is (for the most part) my friend.

Brina
Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 12, 2010, 02:02:17 pm »

I kinda enjoy the little bit I've done, but then wet spinning kind of appeals to me.  There are other fibers (tencel, silk...I'm looking at you) that make me want to tear my hair out, but flax is (for the most part) my friend.

Brina

My new ren faire costume is linen - and it feels great to wear.  I'm becoming a convert!

AntlerandHerb.com
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 12, 2010, 02:10:14 pm »

My new ren faire costume is linen - and it feels great to wear.  I'm becoming a convert!

I love wearing linen too, though I'm actually not crazy about linen knitted stuff.  I mostly like it in woven cloth form.  And I adore the way it softens with age and washing.

Brina
Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 12, 2010, 02:12:49 pm »

I love wearing linen too, though I'm actually not crazy about linen knitted stuff.  I mostly like it in woven cloth form.  And I adore the way it softens with age and washing.

Brina

Yeah - this is woven.  I never thought of knitting it, but I don't really like knitted cotton either.

AntlerandHerb.com
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: July 12, 2010, 02:17:13 pm »

Yeah - this is woven.  I never thought of knitting it, but I don't really like knitted cotton either.

I like knit cotton blends, but it doesn't sub 1-1 with wool/wool blends.  Which is usually the biggest problem I've seen - anything where droop is bad, no cotton! Cheesy  (like the multiple knit cotton bikinis I've seen .. *shudder*

Haven't tried linen, but I'm planning to try the knitpicks Cotlin soon - cotton linen blend.  Very curious. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Nimue
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 12, 2010, 02:24:50 pm »

Brina

Silk is not hard for me, once I get the drafting right.  Angora though...I need a lighter spindle, it keeps slipping apart on me.
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 12, 2010, 02:47:55 pm »

Silk is not hard for me, once I get the drafting right.

I don't draft.  I pre-draft.  I've also only ever used silk hankies, which are a different critter from carded fiber, of course.  It's just so easy to draft wool...

Brina
Nimue
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 12, 2010, 02:50:46 pm »

I don't draft.  I pre-draft.  I've also only ever used silk hankies, which are a different critter from carded fiber, of course.  It's just so easy to draft wool...

Brina

Ah, I have never tried hankies.  I have done roving, and carded recycled sari silk.  I embroider with silk too, that has been quite an experience.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)