The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 03, 2022, 10:31:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2022, 10:31:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Paths and roles - which do you follow?  (Read 21699 times)
Gobae
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 11, 2008, 02:37:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: May 31, 2007, 08:52:51 am »

Teacher would be an aspect of any role since passing on knowledge was critical.

Yes, it could; but there are plenty of people who can't teach regardless of how knowledgeable they are on a topic.  Then there are those people who can teach anything just because they have that skill, drive and passion.

Hunter would come under the warrior role (in truth, all adult Celts likely hunted).

No, not at all.  While killing is involved in both, and there are other similarities, a Warrior is fighting to protect others (and their own life at the least) or perhaps fighting for a goal or point of honor.  This is unlike a hunter who trying to provide food, or help restore/maintain a balance in nature. 

Very few warriors have the intent to cull as many humans in a city as they can because they (the city dwellers) are starving, or plan on eating those they've killed.

Advisor would come under Druid or Brehon (judge).  Both gave adice[sic] to the populace on laws (as did filid, in later Celtic culture, especially after the Romans decimated the Druids at Mona).   

Yes, certainly it did in the past.  But would that still be the case today?  We keep hearing over and over again (from other orders and amongst ourselves) terms that describe Druids as priest/esses.  Well, a priest/ess is merely someone who is authorized and capable of performing the religious rites of a group.  So, ARE today's Druids still law givers and advisers?  Or have these functions split off?

Edited to correct ubb codes
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 10:24:16 am by Gobae » Logged

Gobae - The Blacksmith
Ancient Celtic Clans

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #31: May 31, 2007, 08:58:21 am »

Just a side note, Gobae...  I thank you for quoting, but could you please use the Quote/Reply function (top-right hand corner when you're reading a post) to do so?  That gives us the link-back to the post you're quoting, which is as important as the quote itself.

Thanks!  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: May 31, 2007, 09:22:52 am »

That gives us the link-back to the post you're quoting, which is as important as the quote itself.

It's actually more important from Lyric's and my POV.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Gobae
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: May 31, 2007, 10:23:41 am »

Just a side note, Gobae...  I thank you for quoting, but could you please use the Quote/Reply function (top-right hand corner when you're reading a post) to do so?  That gives us the link-back to the post you're quoting, which is as important as the quote itself.

Thanks!  Smiley

Yeah, I did that, but it got cut down to a regular quote as I was chopping up the reply.  I'll reinsert the info now. 

Done.  How's that?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 10:25:14 am by Gobae » Logged

Gobae - The Blacksmith
Ancient Celtic Clans
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #34: May 31, 2007, 10:31:25 am »

Yeah, I did that, but it got cut down to a regular quote as I was chopping up the reply.  I'll reinsert the info now. 

Done.  How's that?

Much better.  Thank you!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
SeekingtheNorthWind
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 18, 2009, 08:21:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Recon (Irish)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: June 30, 2007, 12:29:02 am »

(If someone wants to retitle this thread, feel free!)

Some people follow different paths or adopt different roles from Celtic culture: outsider, warrior, bard, healer, priest, etc.  Is this something that should be part of RCR?  Which paths do people here follow?  What does this mean?  Does it relate to deities and spiritual practice?  How?

As a student of English and the medieval period, I see myself as on the fili path. I guess for me it is about the importance of words and communication. In Irish culture at least (I'm not as familiar with the other Celtic cultures, my apologies), the poets were also a repository of history and culture. They were the ones who recited the great stories and poems of the people and they also had the important power of satire. I'm hardly up to that standard, but I feel in my own small way, I'm following along that same path, something I feel even more so when I have to sit down and try to understand an ancient Welsh or Irish text for my studies and find its cultural meaning.
Glas Cailleach
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 22, 2008, 08:27:02 am
Australia Australia

Religion: bit of This, bit of That

'Be different like us' - 'Hmm no.. I have a life'

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: August 12, 2007, 01:18:41 pm »

(If someone wants to retitle this thread, feel free!)

Some people follow different paths or adopt different roles from Celtic culture: outsider, warrior, bard, healer, priest, etc.  Is this something that should be part of RCR?  Which paths do people here follow?  What does this mean?  Does it relate to deities and spiritual practice?  How?

Hmmm well I wouldnt really know... I feel drawn to Morrigan and I am extremely protective of certain thigns in my life (friends and family and the wildlife round here)... I have training in Japanese sword fighting, Im learning the staff and also Ill be commencing traditional archery in the next 6 months... I suppose thats warrior?
But then again Im extremely placid and spend alot of time in nature (hours and hours) thinking and observing and doing alot of study and research into the medicinal studies of herbs... so that would be healer? or ovate considering I enjoy learning about divination aswell?

Personally I dont think I have a specific role as I believe I am too young to have one, I think I must learn alot of things before I can make a statement of who I am indefinately.

Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: August 13, 2007, 02:25:19 am »

One thing that has often come up over the years, when I've spoken of being on a Warrior Path, is folks asking, "So what all paths are there?"  What they want is a comprehensive list - many of them envision it having some particular spiritually-significant number of items, and/or assume it's some bit of Ancient Wisdom.  As in, "These are the twelve Spiritual Paths known to the ancient <fill in pet culture to romanticize>, to which one might be called."  While they don't mind some overlap, they certainly expect these paths to be distinct in context of the same frame.  (Basically, they want the Game Handbook, with a tidy set of character classes, and maybe a further set of "prestige classes" for those who in previous editions were multi-class/cross-class characters.  Not saying they're treating Paganism like a D&D game in the sense of how seriously they take it, but they do have an expectation, often subconscious, that it's laid out as neatly as D&D.)

Good points, but also, I think people just want some options - they want to know what they can do and what talents they can use to honor their path and their gods. The "warrior" path is all anyone ever seems to talk about, and many (and I'm not accusing this of anyone here mind you Wink ) stretch themselves thin trying to justify the use of that title, either because it's "cool" or because they think that's the only choice.

It must be easier for Hellenic Recons, I think - the Olympians have so many specific realms of expertise that it's easy to say, "my way of life/choice of profession is relevant to X deity, and so it is relevant to my path." Celtic deities don't have such clear-cut functions.

You also make a good point in that it's okay to not have a specific, exclusive path - to simply be a member of the community, a common person. I'm inspired by my politics to say that simply being a citizen is more than enough contribution to a community. It's the common people who make up a nation or tribe. Not its leaders, not its heroes, not its scholars - all that they do should be in service to the common member of the community, the way I see it.

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
Pogue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 29, 2007, 05:33:22 pm

Religion: exploring Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: August 13, 2007, 03:17:44 am »

For me, who is still seeking and not sure where I belong. I would have to go with healer. I have been in the medical field for a long long time. Not just in healing the physical but the emotional as well. Sometimes to heal all that is needed is someone to listen.

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
                                   H.G.Wells
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 27, 2022, 03:01:18 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: August 14, 2007, 12:35:54 am »

The "warrior" path is all anyone ever seems to talk about, and many (and I'm not accusing this of anyone here mind you Wink ) stretch themselves thin trying to justify the use of that title, either because it's "cool" or because they think that's the only choice.
Heh... I know what you mean.  I can tell "uphill both ways" stories of the days when the Warrior's Path was definitely un-cool ('cause Pagans are supposed to be pacifists, ya know?); I never imagined, then, that I'd miss the days when I got the "are you sure you're a Real PaganTM?" fishy looks instead of a chorus of eager me-too's.  (I, too, am not talking about TC - while we could pull together a pretty good Warrior Chorus, it'd be of folks who know what that means and aren't claiming it lightly.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #40: August 14, 2007, 06:44:38 pm »

The "warrior" path is all anyone ever seems to talk about, and many (and I'm not accusing this of anyone here mind you Wink ) stretch themselves thin trying to justify the use of that title, either because it's "cool" or because they think that's the only choice.

Saying you're on a warrior path sounds all sexy... and for some folks, that's the whole appeal. Other folks need that sort of strong guidance and discipline, my husband among them. Perhaps the warrior archetype is just naturally more popular during times of heightened awareness of violence? I can't say the world's more violent now than it was... but I do think Westerners are more attuned to that violence than in years past.

Me, I'm on more of an intellectual, crafty sort of path. My main danger is making sure I don't slip so far into the books that I forget to look out the window. Or that I take on so many projects that I don't finish anything. What's the sense of collecting craft kits and project sheets if I never actually make anything?

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: August 17, 2007, 05:55:32 pm »

Heh... I know what you mean.  I can tell "uphill both ways" stories of the days when the Warrior's Path was definitely un-cool ('cause Pagans are supposed to be pacifists, ya know?); I never imagined, then, that I'd miss the days when I got the "are you sure you're a Real PaganTM?" fishy looks instead of a chorus of eager me-too's. 

Heh, that must have been before my time! It could be a generational thing, in part - outside of anti-war rallies, I've never met anyone under 35 who thought it was cool to be pacifist.

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #42: August 18, 2007, 11:51:10 am »

Heh, that must have been before my time! It could be a generational thing, in part - outside of anti-war rallies, I've never met anyone under 35 who thought it was cool to be pacifist.

I'll be 30 in February. I think it's cool to be pacifist, especially since I am one.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Gobae
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: August 18, 2007, 10:53:10 pm »

Yeah, they've probably all been killed off.

Gobae - The Blacksmith
Ancient Celtic Clans
Gobae
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: August 18, 2007, 10:56:15 pm »

I'll be 30 in February. I think it's cool to be pacifist, especially since I am one.

Karen

Oops, guess I didn't read far enough.  There's still one left.  My bad.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, end up plowing for those who didn't" - Anonymous

Gobae - The Blacksmith
Ancient Celtic Clans

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)