The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 23, 2020, 10:59:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2020, 10:59:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cooking with Alcohol.  (Read 2260 times)
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 17, 2009, 06:55:06 am »

I'm planning on making a cake for the fall equinox ritual Saturday, the recipe calls for 2 tbsp of Jack Daniels in the cake itself (this isn't a concern).  But the glaze for the cake calls for 3 tbsps too. 

The glaze isn't heated other then melt the butter first and then stir in the confectioners' sugar, JD and vanilla extract.  My worry is the alcohol content.  I was told that as long as it was cooked, then there was no worries, but since the glaze isn't "cooked" I'm not sure I want to use it.  Is there something I could substitute for the alcohol in the glaze that would work good?

Thanks Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 17, 2009, 07:13:59 am »

I'm planning on making a cake for the fall equinox ritual Saturday, the recipe calls for 2 tbsp of Jack Daniels in the cake itself (this isn't a concern).  But the glaze for the cake calls for 3 tbsps too. 

The glaze isn't heated other then melt the butter first and then stir in the confectioners' sugar, JD and vanilla extract.  My worry is the alcohol content.  I was told that as long as it was cooked, then there was no worries, but since the glaze isn't "cooked" I'm not sure I want to use it.  Is there something I could substitute for the alcohol in the glaze that would work good?

Thanks Smiley

3 Tbls of Jack Daniels is only a shot and a half.  I'm assuming you'll be making the cake early, too, which means that there'll be time for the alcohol to evaporate out of the glaze, too.  An ounce and a half of whiskey isn't going to contribute much more alcohol per serving than vanilla extract would.

If you're still concerned, you could warm the whiskey in the butter to reduce the alcohol, but I wouldn't bother.

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #2: September 17, 2009, 08:56:08 am »

Thanks Smiley

What Mattie said.  If you are concerned about someone feeling the effects of the alcohol, consider that with no evaporation at all, the person would have to eat the entire cake to get 3 T of liquor.  If you are really worried about it, I guess you could consider using rum flavoring.  I don't know how good a substitute that would be in a cake containing Jack Daniels, though.

Sperran

Sperran
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 17, 2009, 10:03:34 am »

What Mattie said.  If you are concerned about someone feeling the effects of the alcohol, consider that with no evaporation at all, the person would have to eat the entire cake to get 3 T of liquor.  If you are really worried about it, I guess you could consider using rum flavoring.  I don't know how good a substitute that would be in a cake containing Jack Daniels, though.

Sperran

Sperran

Just as a comment, when I was looking up butterbeer recipes, they recommended using butterscotch schnapps because per tablespoon, the alcohol content was lower than the butterscotch flavoring sold in the cake aisle.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 17, 2009, 10:14:23 am »

To everyone;
Thanks. Smiley I didn't think it would hurt anything but was just wondering. 

I never realized that vanilla extract had alcohol at all. Interesting. 

Can't wait till Saturday. I love fall. Smiley

Dragonfly
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 17, 2009, 10:56:38 am »

Thanks Smiley

You could always cook down the JD.  It would get rid of most of the alchohol and concentrate the flavour.  However I normally trust the recipe to have thought of such issues.  Now if you are deviating from the recipe in any way, then other adjustments may need to be made.  I made a mistake once when making Bourbon Baked Beans.  The adjustment I made was doing it in the crockpot, so the alchohol couldn't escape...very strong.  You could also make a tiny amount, taste it and see if you should adjust for full size.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)