The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 25, 2020, 02:45:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2020, 02:45:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: To which Greek deity do you have a deeper personal relationship?
Aphrodite - 10 (6.9%)
Apollon - 11 (7.6%)
Ares - 3 (2.1%)
Artemis - 7 (4.9%)
Athene - 14 (9.7%)
Demeter - 4 (2.8%)
Dionysos - 11 (7.6%)
Eros - 3 (2.1%)
Gaia - 5 (3.5%)
Hekate - 20 (13.9%)
Hephaistos - 0 (0%)
Hera - 6 (4.2%)
Hermes - 16 (11.1%)
Hestia - 4 (2.8%)
Kybele/Rhea - 3 (2.1%)
Poseidon - 3 (2.1%)
Zeus - 5 (3.5%)
another one - 12 (8.3%)
no one in particular - 0 (0%)
I don't honor/work with Greek deities at all - 7 (4.9%)
Total Voters: 68

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: To which Greek deity do you have a deeper personal relationship?  (Read 15413 times)
Lorraine
Journeyman
Last Login:March 17, 2018, 09:39:57 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: polytheist but drawn to more than one pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 21, 2009, 09:15:13 am »

Just because I'm curious... If you work with/honor several of them the question is to which one or couple of do you have a deeper personal relationship.

I voted Apollon.  However, Hermes has also been at the forefront of my mind quite a lot this year.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 21, 2009, 12:00:35 pm »

And the cthonic deities are represented in Hellenistai's list; they just get put together in a group rather than each having his/her own folder for discussion.  Smiley
I left the groups out because I wanted to have a list not too long.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 21, 2009, 02:12:56 pm »

Since I am Hellenic and worship all the Greek Deities, I may have had a harder time than most of those who took the poll.  However, I managed to narrow it down to Hermes, Dionysus and Hekate.

And Perzephone (the one with a 'z') is right.  Hades and Persephone (the one with an 's') are important deities and both played a key role in the most prominent mystery religion in antiquity.

I worship the Greek Deities too, but first and foremost to me is Hades.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member
Last Login:November 04, 2010, 03:13:23 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 02, 2009, 11:08:41 pm »

Just because I'm curious... If you work with/honor several of them the question is to which one or couple of do you have a deeper personal relationship.

My guess would be that Apollon gets the most...
I would have to say Apollo because of his association with music and the arts. These arw things near and dear to my heart. The second would have to be either Dionysos and/or Artemis.

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." Abraham Lincoln

Praise be to Apollon, Lord of music and creativity!
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 02, 2009, 11:27:21 pm »

I honour all of them, but I would say that I feel the strongest connection with Aphrodite and Dionysos, as well as Hera and Demeter.
darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 05, 2009, 05:26:59 pm »

I chose Hecate as I have a better connection with her but I am fond of Athena and Gaia as well.

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
semperfemme
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 10, 2010, 10:57:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist Reconstructionism

Ogen van Verschuldigd

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: November 05, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »

Gosh, I was dumb and completely didn't read the entire question. The gods I have the deepest relationships with are Hestia, Hermes, Dionysus, and Zeus.

Does anyone else feel as if some gods move "in and out" of their life?

For example, when I worked in live theater, my life was very Dionysian and filled with many lessons from him (I went through a huge party phase and came out a bit changed from that, now I'm almost straight edge), when I finally had to come to grips with my powerlessness in the face of things I could not control, Zeus stepped in (which was hard for me to accept as I've always had a problem with male authority). While I still hold all of the gods in high regard and try to devote time to each, it seems as if some become more present then others during different times.

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. "- Malcolm X
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: November 05, 2009, 08:36:54 pm »

Does anyone else feel as if some gods move "in and out" of their life?

Yes, when I was in high school I was pretty close to Apollo and Athena.  Today, Hermes and Hekate seem to be the primary influences on my life right now.  Dionysus seems to come and go.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Adare
Master Member
Last Login:April 22, 2012, 07:10:16 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: November 10, 2009, 07:12:51 pm »

Hecate, shocking  Grin  Gaia as well, and a brief brush with Kybele about a year ago (guess that wouldn't count as a close, personal relationship though).

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
 -Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
Christina89
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 11, 2010, 02:21:18 am

Religion: I'm back to searching...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: November 24, 2009, 12:36:32 am »

It's Poseidon al the way for me.

Last month, or even earlier this month, I'd have checked Demeter as well. The past few weeks have led me to question my association with her and I realized today that it was assumed.

I don't know if this is a bad thing but, I think I only held her in my thoughts because I was recognizing her as Poseidon's usual consort...not because I felt any connection.

Undecided
lcb17645
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 17, 2009, 07:51:24 pm

Religion: a bit witchy

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: November 29, 2009, 07:43:01 pm »

Hestia, as Goddess of the hearth, has been very important to me. I was drawn to her when I was a stay at home. Now that I am working, (and a haphazard type of retail schedule at that) I feel as if I have been torn from my moorings. I did try a "year and a day" commitment to Hera, but found (not really a surprise) that we did not suit each other.
Utusitusi
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 04, 2011, 03:46:02 am
Belgium Belgium

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu

Blog entries (0)

Utusitusi

Ignore
« Reply #26: December 02, 2009, 07:24:36 am »

Hestia, as Goddess of the hearth, has been very important to me.
For me too. I feel closer to Hestia now that I'm actively looking for my own hearth and home instead of being a guest in other people's homes. Once I own my own place, I will honour her and the Agathos Daimon very specifically.

My other choice was Hecate. She goes before all other Gods for me as she's been my touchstone throughout my pagan seeking. I've never been thwapped by her but she's always felt 'there' to me.

Adare
Master Member
Last Login:April 22, 2012, 07:10:16 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: December 04, 2009, 01:09:31 pm »

My other choice was Hecate. She goes before all other Gods for me as she's been my touchstone throughout my pagan seeking. I've never been thwapped by her but she's always felt 'there' to me.

Hecate seems to be rather interested in the Neo-Pagan movement. When I was initially seeking, she was the one who answered. And she's been there ever since.

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
 -Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: December 05, 2009, 02:58:14 pm »

Hecate seems to be rather interested in the Neo-Pagan movement

I've often wondered about that as I've found Thoth to be the same as well. What does everybody else think?

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: December 05, 2009, 08:36:25 pm »

I've often wondered about that as I've found Thoth to be the same as well. What does everybody else think?

Personally, with respect to Hekate, I think it's at least in part a bunch of people going "OMG A WITCH GODDESS!!!!!!!" and then making her out to be the spooky crone you always read about. Not everyone who worships her, certainly, but a significant chunk.

The rest? I dunno, my experience with Hekate is limited to a very brief dream a few years ago.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.