The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 25, 2020, 03:17:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2020, 03:17:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: To which Greek deity do you have a deeper personal relationship?
Aphrodite - 10 (6.9%)
Apollon - 11 (7.6%)
Ares - 3 (2.1%)
Artemis - 7 (4.9%)
Athene - 14 (9.7%)
Demeter - 4 (2.8%)
Dionysos - 11 (7.6%)
Eros - 3 (2.1%)
Gaia - 5 (3.5%)
Hekate - 20 (13.9%)
Hephaistos - 0 (0%)
Hera - 6 (4.2%)
Hermes - 16 (11.1%)
Hestia - 4 (2.8%)
Kybele/Rhea - 3 (2.1%)
Poseidon - 3 (2.1%)
Zeus - 5 (3.5%)
another one - 12 (8.3%)
no one in particular - 0 (0%)
I don't honor/work with Greek deities at all - 7 (4.9%)
Total Voters: 68

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: To which Greek deity do you have a deeper personal relationship?  (Read 15414 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: December 06, 2009, 07:11:23 am »

Personally, with respect to Hekate, I think it's at least in part a bunch of people going "OMG A WITCH GODDESS!!!!!!!" and then making her out to be the spooky crone you always read about. Not everyone who worships her, certainly, but a significant chunk.
<nod> If I was suddenly getting a whole bunch of "phone calls" from total strangers, but strangers who had some sort of common ground with each other, I'd be pretty durned interested in that common ground.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: December 06, 2009, 05:11:08 pm »

<nod> If I was suddenly getting a whole bunch of "phone calls" from total strangers, but strangers who had some sort of common ground with each other, I'd be pretty durned interested in that common ground.

Sunflower

Well, there's that. But what I actually meant was that I think a lot of doesn't so much actually come from her as it is manufactured by the people that see "witches" or "magic" in her description and don't really bother to do any research beyond the Wicca 101 books put out by a certain popular publisher.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #32: December 06, 2009, 05:19:35 pm »

Well, there's that. But what I actually meant was that I think a lot of doesn't so much actually come from her as it is manufactured by the people that see "witches" or "magic" in her description and don't really bother to do any research beyond the Wicca 101 books put out by a certain popular publisher.

I agree. There's a common "shiny" mentality with the new or the particularly ignorant that just sees "Hekate" and "witchy" in the same sentence and runs with it, regardless of the history and context.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Adare
Master Member
Last Login:April 22, 2012, 07:10:16 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: December 06, 2009, 07:50:04 pm »

I suppose there's an element of that, but I don't think it's the case all around. A lot of people (per the poll) connect with her, and TC'er's tend to be less fluffy (the people you describe I would consider fluffy if they didn't get beyond the 101 books). On the forum it seems a lot of people here connect with her as the Greek maiden, not the Roman crone, just based on a quick search. That could make a good thread.  Smiley

I connect with the Archaic/Classical Hecate who was portrayed more like Artemis, especially Hecate Phosphoros and Propolos. Not the crone/"witch" Hecate.

Sunflower

That's a good point! I hadn't thought of it that way. Hesiod describes her as a goddess who is interested in the affairs of people, so that might make her even more inclined to respond to the "phone calls" once people were interested in her again.

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
 -Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #34: December 06, 2009, 07:52:42 pm »

I suppose there's an element of that, but I don't think it's the case all around. A lot of people (per the poll) connect with her, and TC'er's tend to be less fluffy (the people you describe I would consider fluffy if they didn't get beyond the 101 books). On the forum it seems a lot of people here connect with her as the Greek maiden, not the Roman crone, just based on a quick search. That could make a good thread.  Smiley

TC is a different ball game all around; I (and I believe fiamma, as well) was talking about pagans in general, not those of the TC variety.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Adare
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: December 06, 2009, 08:04:01 pm »

TC is a different ball game all around; I (and I believe fiamma, as well) was talking about pagans in general, not those of the TC variety.

Fair enough, it did take forever to find a good statue of her that wasn't neo-crone-witch, or Roman based.

-Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: December 06, 2009, 11:20:22 pm »

Yah, this.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: December 07, 2009, 02:27:28 pm »

Clarification (which I should have done in the first place):  I was responding both to you, and to what Adare said in this post.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
theperfumer
Apprentice
Last Login:May 16, 2011, 01:14:50 am

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

magickalrealism

Ignore
« Reply #38: December 08, 2009, 03:02:37 am »

I am dedicated to Eros, but I'm no reconstructionist. It's much more conservative than you might think such a relationship would demand (he's sort of a father figure for me) and it's still in-process.

I've also interacted closely with Hecate, Pluto, Persephone, Psyche, Iris, Morpheus and likely many others.

"I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been TERRIBLE last words." - Christopher Eccleston
darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: December 08, 2009, 05:57:20 pm »

I've noticed this on other forums some people also don't get past the ghost and demon parts in some book descriptions.

Fair enough, it did take forever to find a good statue of her that wasn't neo-crone-witch, or Roman based.

Lucky you I'm still looking though I'm starting to think it would be easier to make one myself

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
Adare
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: December 08, 2009, 06:22:24 pm »

Lucky you I'm still looking though I'm starting to think it would be easier to make one myself

The one I ended up with was her as a maiden, running, with torches. It's based (if I remember correctly) on some of the pottery, the scene of her leading Persephone back up from Hades.
http://www.goddessgift.net/images/HEC%20with%20Torch-front-lrg.jpg

If you go to all the Hecate images, it's the 4th one down http://www.goddessgift.net/page54.html. I also love the one of her with Cybele seated, but haven't found that one that's of good quality.

Good luck with your search  Smiley

-Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #41: December 08, 2009, 06:59:08 pm »

My guess would be that Apollon gets the most...

Why, because he's awesome?

<< Voted for Apollon.
Winter_Witch
Apprentice
Last Login:March 01, 2010, 01:29:59 pm

Religion: Wiccan

I Believe

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: January 10, 2010, 12:02:11 pm »

Since I am Hellenic and worship all the Greek Deities, I may have had a harder time than most of those who took the poll.  However, I managed to narrow it down to Hermes, Dionysus and Hekate.

And Perzephone (the one with a 'z') is right.  Hades and Persephone (the one with an 's') are important deities and both played a key role in the most prominent mystery religion in antiquity.

It's so nice to meet a fellow Hellenic Pagan!  Even though I honor nearly all of the Greeks, my two closest are Hekate and Pan.  After that comes Athene. 
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #43: January 10, 2010, 12:28:29 pm »

Just because I'm curious... If you work with/honor several of them the question is to which one or couple of do you have a deeper personal relationship.

My guess would be that Apollon gets the most...

Yeah yeah, everyone likes the jock. Wink

Dionysus has been with me the longest. Then Athena showed up, and Pan claimed me this past summer. I work more closely with the Olympians than any other gods, but I don't consider myself Hellenic, because I'm a very scattered, eclectic person. Smiley

Of the rest of the Greek pantheon, I have friendly relations with Hera, Demeter, and Persephone. I've never liked Artemis for several reasons - partly I never identified with her, and partly she seems opposite to Athena. Same goes for her twin - Apollo and Dionysus have been seen at opposite ends of a spectrum, for good reason. Artemis has popped up once in meditation, mostly to snark at me, and then run off. Aphrodite I've never seen any reason to contact before, but I've been using her in spellcraft recently and strangely, it seems to be a good fit.

Not a fan of Hekate, but she's my friend's patron so we tolerate each other. (I'm also feeling pulls from the Morrighan, who's giving me Hekate-ish vibes.) Hermes too is a patron of my friend, so I try to be nice to him. Not a fan of Ares, and I'm pretty neutral on the rest of the gang.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #44: January 10, 2010, 07:11:32 pm »

I voted Hera, because She's the only one from the Greek pantheon I'm close to. I acknowledge Zeus sometimes along with Her, but that's it (I don't have a personal relationship with Him).

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.