The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 04:31:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 04:31:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2009  (Read 5156 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Topic Start: September 21, 2009, 07:38:52 am »

OK, guys.  You know what this is about--or if you don't, you can find out here.  It doesn't start until November 1, of course, but with the Season 4 goals thread going up I'm betting many of us are starting to think in that direction.  (Plus, it's not much more than a month away!  Eeep!)

Who's participating this year?  Mind linking to your profile at NaNo?  What's your project this year?  Do you have a personal goal besides the standard 50K wordcount?  Is this your first year, and if not, how have you done in the past?  All the usual questions.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: September 21, 2009, 07:48:13 am »

Who's participating this year?  Mind linking to your profile at NaNo?  What's your project this year?  Do you have a personal goal besides the standard 50K wordcount?  Is this your first year, and if not, how have you done in the past?  All the usual questions.  Smiley

I'm in, as my post may have implied.  I'm starcr over at NaNo.  This is my fourth year (third consecutive).  My first two years were sort of disasters, although the attempts served their own sort of purposes.  Last year I made 50K words, but my draft wasn't finished at that point.

This year my project has a working title of "Nia With a Reverse Ring", and it's going in a different direction than I'm used to.  I usually write straight-up fantasy, and that's originally what I thought this would be.  The more I looked at the concept, though, the less reason there was for it to be fantasy.  So it's turning into sort of a horror/thriller kind of thing.  It's about a young woman investigating the death of a little girl and the disappearance of the girl's grandmother years and years ago, and the effect that this investigation has on her life and so on and so forth.  I'm a little apprehensive because this is not my genre, and I've seen what happens when authors write things in genres they aren't that familiar with.  I'm thinking, though, that even if it's an utter failure in that regard, it will be useful in practicing writing certain bits that I will need elsewhere.  (For instance, figuring out how to write an investigation could be useful in any genre.)  And, hey, as with last year I'm not expecting it to be any good at all, so anything I get out of it is a bonus.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 21, 2009, 11:41:04 am »

I don't know if I'm participating this year or not. The past few years I've planned to participate and then life got in the way and I never got started writing. I've officially done NaNo (that is, i started writing) four years, from 04-07; my only win was in 06. I'm forced to go back to my old account, coldrevolution, because this year Autumn Lynwood is being glitchy and refuses to let me log in, and the board staff hasn't been able to help (which is the reason why I have two accounts, because I had this problem with the other account last year. Gah.)

If I do participate, I'm probably going to work on one of my fanfiction ideas- likely Down the Rabbit Hole, my Alice fanfic. It starts in November of 1875- Alice is 17, turning 18 in May- and is preparing to be presented and engage in her first Season in society. With that comes a great deal of nervousness and stress, and she once again escapes into Wonderland, only to learn that just because it's a dreamworld doesn't make it any less real. I'd really like to participate this year, but who knows.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 21, 2009, 11:50:02 am »

OK, guys.  You know what this is about--or if you don't, you can find out here.  It doesn't start until November 1, of course, but with the Season 4 goals thread going up I'm betting many of us are starting to think in that direction.  (Plus, it's not much more than a month away!  Eeep!)

I will try to.  Last year was a complete failure (I only managed a few paragraphs)  The year before that I managed to get less than half the basic goal.  This year I would be happy to get 1/4 (or 12.5k) the way through.

This time around, I am writing a parody of the zombie sub-genre but with koalas under mind control instead of the undead (I think Shad and Nigel might know what I'm talking about because I got this idea from a side conversation I had with them).  It's not really my usual genre either (I mostly write about vampires and sorcerers), but there will be blood and gore along with a romantic subplot (things that are in everything I write).

Oh, and I go by my pen name J.B._Drake there.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: September 21, 2009, 01:11:30 pm »

I participated the year before last and got about half way through.  I'm signing up this year, but I'm not sure what name I'll be using - I can't remember the one I used before.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 21, 2009, 01:17:05 pm »

Doing it. My word count goal for the entire year is 200K, and there's no way I'll make that without doing Nano. That, and I'm crazy.  Cheesy

I am aiming for 50K. I've done Nano two years now: the first time I got 12.5K, and the second I reached 25.5K. I'm hoping it will double again.

I'm working on The Jade Star of Athering, which is the direct sequel to my first novel, Bellica. I have a ton of research to do for it and no time to do it in. *panics a little*

My user name there is MaitresseKatje.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 21, 2009, 01:30:57 pm »

I just signed up, so I guess I'm doing it.  I haven't fleshed out the profile, but when I do I can post it here.  My project is undecided at this moment.  I'd like to work on some of the things I started in my creative writing group.  My personal goal is just to reach 50k words, lol.  I will be amazed that I could write that much in one month.  This is my first year participating. 

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #7: September 21, 2009, 03:27:42 pm »

I participated the year before last and got about half way through.  I'm signing up this year, but I'm not sure what name I'll be using - I can't remember the one I used before.

Absent

Apparently I'm still registered as Lightningwalker, although it takes me to the 2008 pages.  I'm assuming that this will change November 1st, or do I need to re-register? 

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: September 21, 2009, 03:56:49 pm »

Apparently I'm still registered as Lightningwalker, although it takes me to the 2008 pages.  I'm assuming that this will change November 1st, or do I need to re-register? 

Absent

Normally they wipe the message board and start it over again around October 1st.  I don't think you would need to re-register just log in and you will be taken to a wiped profile page.  This is my third year doing it and I still don't remember how it works Tongue

Wait...mine still says that I registered in May 2007 so you will probably be safe.

My Spiritual Blog
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 21, 2009, 06:51:36 pm »

Squeeeeee!!!!  NaNo's coming! Squeeeeee!!!!  Cheesy

I started doing NaNo two years ago- thanks to a discussion about it here on TC.  Two for two on hitting 50K.

I'm definitely in again this year (profile link is below in my sig). This year's project is still slightly up in the air.  I had a plan for a story, but the outline's not coming together as I'd hoped.  At the moment, I'm back at the drawing board. Genre will most likely be either horror or fantasy.  Beyond that, who knows? 

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 03, 2009, 08:41:43 pm »

I'm doing it this year. It's a good excuse to get that Star Trek fanfic written that I've been meaning to write (based on an original fan film project).

I'm terpette on NaNo. I've sent Writing Buddy requests to a few of you already. =)

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 12, 2009, 07:36:07 pm »

:: wanders in ::

I'm pellarhos, this is my third year. Last year was an epic fail, due to a whole slew of problems, and weirdly I've decided that I want to continue working on the same project, a sort of novellette called Persephone, a kind of Beauty and the Beast/Persephone myth/dream story.

I aim to finish it this year: since I'm aiming just for the standard 50K and this is going to be a short thing anyway, and I'm unemployed and otherwise have a rather wide swath of time this November (for once), I really don't have any excuses, do I?  Tongue

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 21, 2009, 04:36:33 pm »

Who's participating this year?  Mind linking to your profile at NaNo?  What's your project this year?  Do you have a personal goal besides the standard 50K wordcount?  Is this your first year, and if not, how have you done in the past?  All the usual questions.  Smiley

I'll be participating this year- though I never follow the rules and have yet to even reach the 25,000 mark. Tongue But I'm under Rosalyn_Phillips for anyone who wants to read. I always love getting feedback. Smiley

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 22, 2009, 08:34:52 pm »

Bumping this thread because, well, I want to check with ya'll and see how everyone is doing! I read a few others' progress on their blogs, and I see some folks wordcounts on their NaNo profiles, but... how's it going everyone? (Star, I know you have pretty much hit a home run.  Cool)

I've made good progress until this week, when I missed three days. Week Three is always rough, but this year was really rough. I'm squeaking out of it, but I'm still behind.  Undecided

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: November 22, 2009, 08:58:47 pm »

Bumping this thread because, well, I want to check with ya'll and see how everyone is doing! I read a few others' progress on their blogs, and I see some folks wordcounts on their NaNo profiles, but... how's it going everyone? (Star, I know you have pretty much hit a home run.  Cool)

I've made good progress until this week, when I missed three days. Week Three is always rough, but this year was really rough. I'm squeaking out of it, but I'm still behind.  Undecided

I'm a little bit under 9K from my goal of 12.5K.  I either didn't have much time or little motivation to write.

My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)