The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 01, 2021, 04:34:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 01, 2021, 04:34:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Front porch application in Shelton leads to Wiccan church questions  (Read 11960 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: September 24, 2009, 12:48:46 pm »

Actually, when you talk about house churches (as compared to previously set up and dedicated church buildings), neighbors DO complain about traffic and bring complaints when the regular attendees number more than a very few.  Neighborhoods do complain when 1st Baptist, having the parking set up for a medium church, becomes a megachurch and the parking starts spilling into people's lawns (LYric and Randall, I think I heard this one from you guys)

O/T, but this is the reason why I refuse to drive on Sundays.  There are three churches within a few blocks of my building and only one (the Catholic) seems to have a parking lot (that apparently doesn't accommodate everyone in the congregation) so if I drove, I would never be able to find a good parking spot.  I think I blame it on the neighborhood planning commission -- this area was built up starting in the 1890's before there were cars (the churches themselves date to the first decade of the 20th Century).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 24, 2009, 01:39:09 pm »

O/T, but this is the reason why I refuse to drive on Sundays.  There are three churches within a few blocks of my building and only one (the Catholic) seems to have a parking lot (that apparently doesn't accommodate everyone in the congregation) so if I drove, I would never be able to find a good parking spot.  I think I blame it on the neighborhood planning commission -- this area was built up starting in the 1890's before there were cars (the churches themselves date to the first decade of the 20th Century).

That's going to be true for most older areas.  They didn't plan on parking because nobody owned cars. You were expected to walk or take street car to church if it was in an urban area.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: September 24, 2009, 03:51:45 pm »

As a person rasied Baptist may I point out that we get Baptised in Water?   If your spinkler causes any complaints remind them of that.

Somehow I don't think the guy driving the Beemer convertible would have appreciated that distinction.  Grin

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 24, 2009, 04:43:13 pm »

Somehow I don't think the guy driving the Beemer convertible would have appreciated that distinction.  Grin

Did he get wet?   Grin

AntlerandHerb.com
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: September 24, 2009, 05:00:10 pm »

Did he get wet?   Grin

More than likely it was the inside of the car.  We are talking about a convertible here so if it had the top down... Grin

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 24, 2009, 05:16:22 pm »

Somehow I don't think the guy driving the Beemer convertible would have appreciated that distinction. 

Maybe he's one of those who stays away from water.  Sometimes it happens to those who were under water with a long winded preacher conducting the Baptism.

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: September 24, 2009, 06:15:55 pm »

Did he get wet?   Grin

He didn't very much, but his car did. Smiley

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: September 24, 2009, 06:17:02 pm »

More than likely it was the inside of the car.  We are talking about a convertible here so if it had the top down... Grin

And he said some very unchristianlike things. I just pointed to the BIG ASS FUCKING SIGN that was 10 feet away that said NO PARKING AT ANY TIME.

Then I went back to gardening.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: September 24, 2009, 06:19:56 pm »

My dachshunds knew what to do when I opened the back door and told them, "Go bark at the Baptists."
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  That's adorable!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: September 24, 2009, 06:41:17 pm »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  That's adorable!

Sunflower

My mother (former SB) was mortified the first time she saw me do it. Then she saw how those people parked and completely understood. And I have to admit seven standard dachshunds hitting a back fence is pretty impressive. They barked like they meant it.  Grin

Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #25: September 25, 2009, 12:00:59 am »

My mother (former SB) was mortified the first time she saw me do it. Then she saw how those people parked and completely understood. And I have to admit seven standard dachshunds hitting a back fence is pretty impressive. They barked like they meant it.  Grin

That's because doxies are big dogs stuck in little bodies - and they know it. I mean, c'mon, what's an annoyed Baptist in comparison to the badgers that doxies were bred to hunt down?

Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 25, 2009, 04:57:13 pm »

He didn't very much, but his car did. Smiley

Most excellent.

AntlerandHerb.com
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #27: October 03, 2009, 07:52:19 pm »

It seems more appropriate to me to let the porch through without putting up much fuss over it specifically, but to concentrate on complaints about the property's use.

I've read the original article, and I agree. If there are issues with parking/noise, etc, then the property owner should be working with the neighbors to minimize it. The Baltimore ADF group uses a private home for their meeting space (and someone lives in an apartment on the property). The house is in an older section of Baltimore city so it does have a yard but the property isn't large, and they've had issues with the neighbors and parking and have maps on their website instructing people where the "no park" zones are.

I realize folks might not want to seem "discriminatory" by saying they don't want a church next-door, but if there are legitimate issues they should be addressed and compromised. No one wants to live in a neighborhood where there's loud drumming circles at all hours of the night, cigarette butts on the ground, and nowhere to park at the full moon.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: October 03, 2009, 08:10:04 pm »

I've read the original article, and I agree. If there are issues with parking/noise, etc, then the property owner should be working with the neighbors to minimize it. The Baltimore ADF group uses a private home for their meeting space (and someone lives in an apartment on the property). The house is in an older section of Baltimore city so it does have a yard but the property isn't large, and they've had issues with the neighbors and parking and have maps on their website instructing people where the "no park" zones are.

I realize folks might not want to seem "discriminatory" by saying they don't want a church next-door, but if there are legitimate issues they should be addressed and compromised. No one wants to live in a neighborhood where there's loud drumming circles at all hours of the night, cigarette butts on the ground, and nowhere to park at the full moon.

Karen

grumble, gruble. unless the Grove lost it,  Cedar Light owns the property which was originially a multi-family house. they rent one of the sections out to help pay for the site.
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #29: October 03, 2009, 08:20:19 pm »

grumble, gruble. unless the Grove lost it,  Cedar Light owns the property which was originially a multi-family house. they rent one of the sections out to help pay for the site.

CedarLight does own the property. And while I haven't been able to go out to one of their holiday rituals, they don't seem like the type of place to have 100 destructive people tearing up the neighborhood... but 15 or 20 extra cars in the neighborhood, even if it's only 8 times a year, can be a bit much depending on where you live. And as far as I know, that neighborhood is completely zoned residential and not any sort of mixed-use. I have friends that live less than a mile away from the Grove.

I can understand the parking issues whole-heartedly. While I live in Baltimore county and not the city, my neighborhood is old rowhouses. Many of us have parking pads off the back alley, but you can only fit one car in it. Two if you're lucky. Most houses have at least two cars now, many of which are SUVs or pickups. Parking is at such a premium on my street that I never have parties and rarely have people over at all. I'm lucky to get a parking space on my block, much less in front of my house, if I come home later than 7pm. And it was worse before my asshat next-door neighbors moved out with their 5 big cars!

I figure if we, as a group of religions, are going to continue to use private homes as our worship spaces then we have to be willing to be very good neighbors as well. If someone wants to be an intolerant asshat after being informed about what goes on and involved in the planning for parking and late-night noise, that's one thing. But if we're not willing to work with the neighbors to make sure that everyone has access to their driveways and no one is disturbed by late-night porch talkers or finds cigarette butts on their lawn, then we're being just as intolerant and obnoxious, IMO.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)