The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 31, 2020, 12:50:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2020, 12:50:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Rise" of Atheism and Paganism  (Read 11807 times)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #30: May 09, 2007, 01:53:27 pm »

it's just I reserved the right to change my mind
I think many of us reserve the right to change our minds, re-evaluate, redefine, rather than staying stuck in the same place. Especially when we run into things, experiences or ideas that say 'hey, you, what about me, where do I fit in?', which is sometimes irritating lol

The common misperception, and argument with people who disagree, is that the other person isn't "smart enough" or is "too blind" to understand your viewpoint, because if they were "smart enough" or "could see", they would think the same way you do. Well, that's not always  the case. It's usually that people can understand the value of it, without actually wanting to think the same way you do.
Come live in my house for a week, debate on this subject is an art form here.

No matter how special you think you are, I'm sure I've heard what you believe, and could understand it.
I think even if you (the general you here) have heard every single opinion and theory that is out there, you still need to be certain which theory/opinion a particular person is voicing.

Some days, I wish I could get himself to come come here, and see if his theory is as far out in left field as he thinks it is. (he won't because he doesn't have time and he thinks of TC as part of 'my' space in our lives - if that makes sense lol) Actually, I need to go visit the old board and hunt up a thread....

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #31: May 09, 2007, 01:53:51 pm »

Some people hold beliefs that explicitly deny the "one deity is behind all this and we just percieve him/her/it in different ways" angle.  I, for example, am a hard polytheist.  

I do think that there is a factual right and wrong about the way the universe and divinity and things like that work.  I think there is a high probability that there is a way that things are, and that means some people are right and some people are wrong.
I go with what I believe to be correct, but in the end I can't prove it.

I'm not at all sure I can phrase this coherently but I'm going to try... I'm a polytheist, as far as what *I* believe. But, I also have a hypothesis-in-theory (or just a stray train of thought) that IF there was/is an Actual Ultimate Truth (whatever it might be - sorry Everfool Wink ) that we (generally) can't or don't yet understand, we, as a species, would/do by nature put our own interpretations and perceptions on it anyway so that we could have some understanding of it. And maybe no-one is actually right, and maybe we'll all be blown to smithereens one day for being wrong, but in the meantime, I'll stick with what I believe.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2020, 07:39:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: May 09, 2007, 09:54:35 pm »

Hate to burst your "I'm so special and unique nobody could possibly understand me and everyone is blind to my wonderfully different approach to life!" bubble, but I've heard just about everything in the past thirteen years in the Pagan community and studying comparative religion. No matter how special you think you are, I'm sure I've heard what you believe, and could understand it.
Funny, I don't recall saying that you couldn't understand it, just that you'd have to find out what it was first.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)