The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 12:52:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 12:52:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Down to Basics: Ritual Scripts  (Read 5098 times)
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am
United States United States

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 04, 2009, 04:22:50 pm »

Hrm, well, here's an example.  It's a bit personal, but it will do for something that I did pretty much from scratch.

Thanks for sharing this, and congratulations!  Cheesy

You mentioned impurity of the soul; is this also an Egyptian concept?  The only thing I can think of is impurity of the heart and the negative confession, but I haven't come across anything that has to do with soul purity.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: October 04, 2009, 04:43:45 pm »

You mentioned impurity of the soul; is this also an Egyptian concept?  The only thing I can think of is impurity of the heart and the negative confession, but I haven't come across anything that has to do with soul purity.

Anything can be cleansed; anything can get dirty. Wink

I didn't consider it as "impurity of the soul" in this case so much as "damnit, I've got crap all over it".  The text I adapted has in it the phrase "that evil impurity which I have done" which can be cleansed from the ka; I changed that to "impurity which has been done" because my issue was a legacy of ... questionable parenting and inherited trauma, so it wasn't something I did per se so much as accumulated wounding I have.

I believe the ka to be something that one passes from parent to child, and if one chases it back far enough one gets it from the Creator eventually (I have texts for this belief too, heh), so trauma from an abusive great-grandparent that has repercussions down the generations would be a trauma to the ka.  (And that's what I was dealing with.)

Bastemhet
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 04, 2009, 05:07:42 pm »

Anything can be cleansed; anything can get dirty. Wink

I didn't consider it as "impurity of the soul" in this case so much as "damnit, I've got crap all over it".  The text I adapted has in it the phrase "that evil impurity which I have done" which can be cleansed from the ka; I changed that to "impurity which has been done" because my issue was a legacy of ... questionable parenting and inherited trauma, so it wasn't something I did per se so much as accumulated wounding I have.

I believe the ka to be something that one passes from parent to child, and if one chases it back far enough one gets it from the Creator eventually (I have texts for this belief too, heh), so trauma from an abusive great-grandparent that has repercussions down the generations would be a trauma to the ka.  (And that's what I was dealing with.)

This is very interesting!  I think my favorite part about learning about all this is going from the primary beliefs and extending it to modern, personal contexts.  I can empathise with what you said here, in some aspects. 

You also brought up and cleared a confusion I had for the translation for ka.  I have heard it translated as both body double and life force.  Your understanding lines up with the second interpretation, but does the first one also still hold stock?  Would that just be the way the ka was depicted, even though we are not to literally understand it as a closed form?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: October 04, 2009, 06:31:14 pm »

You also brought up and cleared a confusion I had for the translation for ka.  I have heard it translated as both body double and life force.  Your understanding lines up with the second interpretation, but does the first one also still hold stock?  Would that just be the way the ka was depicted, even though we are not to literally understand it as a closed form?

This is not a simple question.

The ka is portrayed in some royal art as a duplicate or double, sometimes smaller than the king.  In other figures, the ka is portrayed as the ka hieroglyph (a pair of arms) or a figure with the glyph on its head.  The personal nature of the ka is ... well, we have strong suggestion that it existed for kings, and less so for ordinary people, so the question of whether the ka is individual in any way may be depending on ritual role.  (And technically temples to deceased kings are, I believe, to the kau of the kings, not the mortal selves, in any case.)

The evidence we have is that the ka was at least semi-impersonal and familial, but also, depending on one's perspective, individuation, and similar things, addressable as an internal double, a living self.

This is Egypt!  There is no one simple answer! Wink

Bastemhet
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: October 04, 2009, 06:51:21 pm »

This is Egypt!  There is no one simple answer! Wink

Definitely more enriching than frustrating!

This might be more OT than anything else I've posted.  I also just remembered how it was described in another book that I like, and will probably post another topic to see whether the idea he puts forth clicks for anyone else.  I hope you might join the discussion.  Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)