The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 21, 2021, 11:07:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2021, 11:07:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 6 Year Old Kicked Out Of School  (Read 15041 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #30: October 16, 2009, 09:36:58 am »

Last  year  I would  get  phone calls from my  sons teacher  right  from the  classroom asking me to come  over there and make  my son sit at his desk, 3 or 4 times a day. I finally had to tell her  that SHE  had to get  control  over  him and STOP  letting him  be  in control. DO NOT  ask him to sit at his desk TELL him to sit at his desk, END OF STORY.

Given that example, I do have a moment of "Oh!" that might help.

See, I know a lot of schools who would get scared that if they enforced behavior with a student, that the student didn't like in certain ways, that they'd be getting the parent in there in a huge fuss (and possibly threatening legal action) for mistreating their child. So, for example, the district policy might be that the teacher can ask the student to sit down, but can't insist beyond a certain point: if the child doesn't behave, then they'd have to escalate it to have the administrator deal with it.

You, obviously, are fine with having them insist - but they may still be worried that you'd throw a fit about it until it's happened enough, and you've given them *positive* feedback enough that it's exactly what you'd prefer. (i.e. saying "Child said you insisted he sit down at his desk. Thanks! That's exactly what we and his support team think he needs to hear.". Or they may not be sure how to handle "It's fine to make my kid sit down" from you, combined with another parent in the classroom who would be throwing fits if their kid was spoken harshly to. (Really hard thing to do, honestly, especially with younger kids who aren't reliable reporters of what's going on in the classroom always)

That is  no way to  have to live   while  you are at work\school, no adult  or  child  should  be subjected to  lock down drills, and  having to scope out the  safest place in the room "just  in case" .

As Mandrina said, school violence has been around for a long time. I work in a school that is extremely safe by any meaningful record - but it's also a school where students are under extremely high academic pressure (which has its own risks.) But honestly, I'd much rather do the drills, and talk about why we're doing them, (just like we do fire drills and tornado drills) than assume it's all going to be okay. One of the reasons for doing drills is that it reminds kids that we take school safety seriously - and there's some evidence that it means kids who hear about a possible threat or someone reaching the point of despair are more likely to tell an adult.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)