The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 19, 2020, 05:40:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2020, 05:40:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Project  (Read 7245 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 08, 2007, 08:01:13 pm »

My english teacher assigned us a project on a social issue, so I picked the conflict between Wicca and Christianity because that was the only thing I could think of that I remotely cared about (I care about this one a lot, but I didn't know if it was a good idea). Anyway, we had this substitute teacher who kept asking me what my project was on and I kept evading her (she has a reputation for being an extreme Southern Baptist), so when I finally told her, she asked me point blank if I was Wiccan. I'm a horrible liar, so of course I had to say yes. To my surprise, a girl that went to a Catholic prep school before transferring admitted to having gone through a 'witch phase' when she was nine (SRW and everything).

I go to a small performing/visual arts school, so I shouldn't be too surprised by the not-negative reaction I got.

To the other teens, do people at your schools know about your paganism? What were their reactions? Did you find that the lack of secrecy was helpful in the long run?

I know Wiccans (and pagans in general) can be extremely secretive about their religions, but if seems to me that that secretiveness is partly the reason why so many Christians are agaisnt us. The substitute was shocked that we *aren't* devil worshippers and seemed to genuinely respect Wicca once she understood what it was not. I'm not saying we should shout our faiths, but shouldn't we try to educate people every chance we get, like I'm going to try to do with this project?

(I know the topic of secrecy has come up many times, but I want to hear what people my age specifically have to say.)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 08, 2007, 08:49:52 pm »

To the other teens, do people at your schools know about your paganism? What were their reactions? Did you find that the lack of secrecy was helpful in the long run?

I don't really feel it's most peoples business what your religion is, now then in a valid discussion on religion I do a cursory overview of my beliefs, but other then that I live in a policy of if some one needs to know, they will know if not then they won't.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 09, 2007, 02:57:21 pm »

My english teacher assigned us a project on a social issue, so I picked the conflict between Wicca and Christianity because that was the only thing I could think of that I remotely cared about (I care about this one a lot, but I didn't know if it was a good idea). Anyway, we had this substitute teacher who kept asking me what my project was on and I kept evading her (she has a reputation for being an extreme Southern Baptist), so when I finally told her, she asked me point blank if I was Wiccan. I'm a horrible liar, so of course I had to say yes. To my surprise, a girl that went to a Catholic prep school before transferring admitted to having gone through a 'witch phase' when she was nine (SRW and everything).

I go to a small performing/visual arts school, so I shouldn't be too surprised by the not-negative reaction I got.

I know Wiccans (and pagans in general) can be extremely secretive about their religions, but if seems to me that that secretiveness is partly the reason why so many Christians are agaisnt us. The substitute was shocked that we *aren't* devil worshippers and seemed to genuinely respect Wicca once she understood what it was not. I'm not saying we should shout our faiths, but shouldn't we try to educate people every chance we get, like I'm going to try to do with this project?

(I know the topic of secrecy has come up many times, but I want to hear what people my age specifically have to say.)

If someone asks then I will tell, otherwise I keep it to myself. Therefore a few people know and I think most everyone else who is not exremely dense has figured it out. I have had some negative reactions (I lost my ride into school) but otherwise everyone seems to be fine with it. Basically I don't feel that my spirituality is anyone elses business, but I am not going to be secretive about such an integral part of me. Does this make sense?

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 09, 2007, 09:28:17 pm »

If someone asks then I will tell, otherwise I keep it to myself.
... Basically I don't feel that my spirituality is anyone elses business, but I am not going to be secretive about such an integral part of me. Does this make sense?

Yes, it does. I was going to do the paper from an objective POV, but when asked, I had to tell the truth.

But don't you think the Pagan tendency to be quiet about beliefs in modern times has led to some of the problems we have? Like I said before, the substitute was shocked that we *aren't* devil worshippers and accepted it after that.

Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 10, 2007, 06:44:27 am »

Yes, it does. I was going to do the paper from an objective POV, but when asked, I had to tell the truth.

But don't you think the Pagan tendency to be quiet about beliefs in modern times has led to some of the problems we have? Like I said before, the substitute was shocked that we *aren't* devil worshippers and accepted it after that.

Perhaps, personally I have had little problem with discrimination/dislike. This is probably because people have gotten a chance to get to know me properly before they find out what my religion is, and because I do not treat it as excessively important when answering such a question. I feel that if I were not so quiet about my beliefs then I would probably receive more problems, however, I can imagine where the opposite could be the case and I definitely understand where you are coming from on this.

[Edited to add: Also there is the fact that saying I am Eroist generally simply generates puzzled looks Cheesy ! Whereas the name Wiccan is far better known (Eroism having only one follower is obviously not a common religion Tongue .]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 06:46:29 am by Kasmira » Logged

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 10, 2007, 10:58:17 pm »

(Eroism having only one follower is obviously not a common religion Tongue .]

Interesting. So what *is* Eroism?

Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 11, 2007, 07:12:21 am »

Interesting. So what *is* Eroism?

Eroism is the belief in Beauty, not beauty as in the opposite of ugly, but Beauty as in the pervading magick that is found in everything. Eroism does not have an afterlife, our spirits break down into the soil again just as our bodies do and new organisms grow out of this life (eg. grass on the grave). Basically once you have those two things the most important part is not the end (finding the *perfect* religious setup for you) but the journey (learning and searching), so the core beliefs of Eroism are that you spend your life learning and searching and keep an open mind, and that you strive to see the Beauty in EVERYTHING even those things that you feel cannot possibly be Beautiful.

Pretty much I gave Eroism a name in order to not have to keep writing out "my religious path" or something of that sort and I have/will have a website mostly to collect my thoughts and to provide somewhere that people at the cauldron can look if they get confused about what I am on about with regard to my spirituality. In order for this to work I should really get my website up Tongue .

I hope this makes some sense!

Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 11, 2007, 09:16:35 pm »

I hope this makes some sense!

It makes a lot of sense, thanks.

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 19, 2007, 03:15:43 pm »

I'm not really, very open with my religion.

I don't lie about what I believe, but at the same time I don't jump out and say "Hi, I'm pagan. You can call me..."

My religion is what I believe, not who I am.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: May 19, 2007, 03:42:27 pm »

I'm not really, very open with my religion.

I don't lie about what I believe, but at the same time I don't jump out and say "Hi, I'm pagan. You can call me..."

Mirockinstar, can you please use the quote function?  Thank you.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 19, 2007, 03:44:51 pm »

For me it is entirely the opposite, my spirituality IS who I am, the essence of me. And that is why I generally don't talk about/expose it to people (except for some weird reason with random people I don't know and will never meet online Undecided ). What I mean by I don't tell unless asked is not that if someone asks me if I am going to church this Sunday I take this as a cue to explain I don't go to church, I am an Eroist, but rather if someone truly wants to know and I trust/am connected with them on a deep enough level then I will explain my spirituality. Now I really get the feeling that I am not making any sense Cheesy , sorry!

AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 19, 2007, 03:56:29 pm »

Mirockinstar, can you please use the quote function?  Thank you.

I'm sorry, I meant it as a general statement. I'm not sure why I needed a quote...
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: May 19, 2007, 04:10:45 pm »

I'm sorry, I meant it as a general statement. I'm not sure why I needed a quote...

it looked to me like a response to the first post.  Responses to first posts require quotes.

If I was wrong, please make comments like "to ALL" at the front of the post for posts to all.  Thanks.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 19, 2007, 04:15:04 pm »

it looked to me like a response to the first post.  Responses to first posts require quotes.

If I was wrong, please make comments like "to ALL" at the front of the post for posts to all.  Thanks.

Okay, I'm sorry for making things difficult for ya'll...
Mithril
Adept Member
France France

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: June 10, 2007, 04:26:39 pm »

My teacher ended up giving me a 92 on the project, which I didn't deserve, but I think sacrificing my grade to that extent was worth educating my class about it.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)