The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 16, 2021, 07:53:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 07:53:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hellenic Marriage  (Read 19139 times)
zoe
Apprentice
Last Login:December 18, 2009, 03:27:48 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic reconstructionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: October 27, 2009, 07:32:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure we incorporated in the county that Hayward, CA is in.

I'm also pretty sure I don't have a copy of the original paperwork. It's something I'd have mailed to somebody like Kyrene or Dennis when I dropped out.

Peter

I got a copy of the original paperwork from the state, and there is no mention of Alameda County.  Drew was listed as the initial agent of service with an SF address.  (Now, after Drew left CA there was an agent of service in Hayward, so that could be how you got that city in your head.)

Dennis left Hellenion 63 days ago, and we need our legal and financial records he has (aka "our property")

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: October 27, 2009, 07:38:12 pm »

I'm fairly sure he came back at least once. If you can get somebody to search the Prutaneis archives, subject line is probably going to start with "FLASH"

Oh yeah. IIRC, two or three times. I remember the exasperation over this guy.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: October 27, 2009, 07:41:16 pm »

PS Gee, now I know to come over here when I have old timer questions like "Who did Drew send the letter with the copy rights for "Old Stones New Temples" to?", or "what is the county of jurisdiction?"

The OSNT stuff was sent to me. Smiley

Actually, I'm the one that asked Drew about it when he left. I know I forwarded everything I had on (to Julia maybe? Not sure) when I left the group a few years ago.

We also archive his newsletter on ecauldron. That was something Randall and Drew and I set up when he was shutting his site down.

zoe
Apprentice
Last Login:December 18, 2009, 03:27:48 pm

Religion: Hellenic reconstructionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: October 27, 2009, 10:01:47 pm »

The OSNT stuff was sent to me. Smiley

Actually, I'm the one that asked Drew about it when he left. I know I forwarded everything I had on (to Julia maybe? Not sure) when I left the group a few years ago.

We also archive his newsletter on ecauldron. That was something Randall and Drew and I set up when he was shutting his site down.

Dennis said you sent everything to him in a big box, but he never opened it.  He finally opened it when the current Grammateus went to make files for all the members, and we realized we didn't have have join forms for anyone in your era!  (Yet Nicole sent us the CD we think you made for Hellenion).   That letter is one of the things we want back!

(don't get me wrong, it's not slowing us down a bit, we are moving forward well and few people are not dwelling on the issue)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: October 27, 2009, 10:06:32 pm »

Dennis said you sent everything to him in a big box, but he never opened it.  He finally opened it when the current Grammateus went to make files for all the members, and we realized we didn't have have join forms for anyone in your era!  (Yet Nicole sent us the CD we think you made for Hellenion).   That letter is one of the things we want back!

(don't get me wrong, it's not slowing us down a bit, we are moving forward well and few people are not dwelling on the issue)

Aha...so that's who I sent it too. LOL

The memory...it's not worth a shit. Smiley

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #35: October 28, 2009, 07:53:51 am »

YEARS ago one of their members got on Hellenic_Recon (I am rather sure it was that list) and started screaming at any of us who dared to suggest homosexual anything had a history in Athens.  Apparently the whole man-teen love thing is a vicious rumor circulated by Christians to discredit the glory of ancient Hellas.  And anyone who went along with those LIES was on the side of the Christian smear campaign.   

And capital letters are a form of Roman oppression.  ::nods sagely::

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: October 28, 2009, 09:43:12 am »

And capital letters are a form of Roman oppression.  ::nods sagely::

Zoe will probably miss that one. LOL

Zoe,

We had a poster come in one time and refuse to type with capitals at the start of his sentences because they exemplified oppression by the Romans.

Over the years, TC has seen its share of weirdos, but I think that one is in the Top 5 on the "creative weirdness" list.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #37: October 28, 2009, 10:03:47 am »

Zoe will probably miss that one. LOL

Whoops.  I meant to drop a link or something for explanation and completely forgot.  It's been that kind of day.  Sad  Sorry, Zoe!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: October 28, 2009, 01:53:53 pm »

Whoops.  I meant to drop a link or something for explanation and completely forgot.  It's been that kind of day.  Sad  Sorry, Zoe!

Here it is Smiley

http://www.ecauldron.net/mb/index.php?webtag=TCMAIN&msg=2409.64

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #39: December 04, 2009, 10:25:51 pm »

I went over to their forum and saw that immediately. I was also less than impressed with the start page talking about the "hysterical" Greek Orthodox Church

To be fair, I think the actions the the Greek Orthodox Church condones is hysterical (as in crazy, rather than funny). They are very anti-polytheism, to the point of burning down houses, destroying places where polytheists go, and assaulting people.

Back to the topic.. I don't agree with YSEE's stance on most things, most importantly their stance on homosexual marriage. Times have changed, and not everything that was ancient was right. Does that mean women now no longer have rights to vote? We need to be married off?

I'm also wondering now how many of YSEE's members are gay, since women's rights stuck around, probably due to the amount of female members.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: December 04, 2009, 10:51:18 pm »

Back to the topic.. I don't agree with YSEE's stance on most things, most importantly their stance on homosexual marriage. Times have changed, and not everything that was ancient was right. Does that mean women now no longer have rights to vote? We need to be married off?

I'm also wondering now how many of YSEE's members are gay, since women's rights stuck around, probably due to the amount of female members.

Seriously. "Traditional" Hellenic marriage is just the transfer of guardianship of a woman from her father to her new husband, a tradition that the YSEE conveniently doesn't adhere to. What bothers me the most is this idea of a religious ceremony to mark the marriage, since ancient Athenian marriages consisted of an oral contract between the father and husband, and the transfer of the bride to the new husband's household. Honouring gods associated with marriage was preferably done at the appropriate times, but it wasn't obligatory. The idea of clergy officiating over a wedding would have been a very foreign concept.

Marriage is a very weak social institution to begin with, especially in ancient Greece where men often went to prostitutes to satisfy the needs marriage didn't fill. I think it should be a private matter who co-habitates and builds a family with whom, not a religious one.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: December 04, 2009, 11:04:34 pm »

To be fair, I think the actions the the Greek Orthodox Church condones is hysterical (as in crazy, rather than funny). They are very anti-polytheism, to the point of burning down houses, destroying places where polytheists go, and assaulting people.

And I'll say here what I always say and that is one works within the system of government to help force change.

Driving the Christians into the sea (which is literally what one Greek nationalistic group proposed as a stated goal on their website) isn't going to help change a damn thing. It might make them feel better for saying it, but it's not in the least bit helpful.

I see the Greek Orthodox church as incredibly predatory and far too involved in governing the country of Greece, but setting out to meet that church head on is a very stupid way of dealing with them.

Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: October 14, 2010, 11:26:22 am »

I just wanted to share a video relevant to this issue. A man is being interviewed about the Greek gods, but on the left side of the screen, there is a ceremony going on that looks like a marriage. Interestingly, the couple is walking around in circles like in a Greek Orthodox ceremony, which was not a feature of ancient Greek marriages, as far as I know. Ancient Hellenic marriages were about the transfer of the bride into her new husband's household, a feast to celebrate this occasion, and the subsequent consummation of the marriage on a special couch/bed (and of course, the contract between the husband and the wife's father would have already been taken care of).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VToTAoInpaQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VToTAoInpaQ</a>

I think it is just evidence of modern culture seeping into what is supposed to be ancient practice, and people not recognizing the difference.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)