The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 23, 2018, 05:19:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2018, 05:19:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Samhain  (Read 3784 times)
alah01
Apprentice
Last Login:September 23, 2010, 01:41:23 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Solitary Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 25, 2009, 09:43:47 pm »

Hi. I am just REALLY excited for Samhain this year and was just wondering what everyone is planning for it this year.

Any rituals?
   Special feast?
Anything at all. just curious what everyone else may do for Samhain. Grin

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 25, 2009, 11:42:23 pm »

Hi. I am just REALLY excited for Samhain this year and was just wondering what everyone is planning for it this year.

Any rituals?
   Special feast?

I have what amounts to a Dia de los Muertos party every year (this year on 11/7).  Big altar, lots of Mexican food, etc. all shared with friends and family.  I do a personal, private ritual involving a libation to land spirits after the first hard frost, which happens anytime between the end of October through November.

Brina
Bronwyn29
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 22, 2010, 05:18:57 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Everyone knows that bunnies dont lay eggs

Blog entries (0)

Teri Tate

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 26, 2009, 10:29:33 am »

Any rituals?
   Special feast?

My husband and I are really excited too! its our favorite holiday. We will do the same thing as last year and put an orange or red candle in each window, leave empty chairs at the table for our ancestors to sit, and have a big dinner full of our passed loved ones favorite foods. We will dress up our alter with pictures of his mom, who died when he was seven, and pics of my grandmother who died this year.We will also take our 10 month old trick or treating.

folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 26, 2009, 11:40:01 am »

Any rituals?
   Special feast?

We're doing our Samhain bonfire with the kiddos on Saturday after trick or treat.  We'll build a big fire, have pumpkin donuts and cider and party all night....well, until 10 or so anyway. Wink  Then after the little ones are in bed, I'll do my little ritual.  We're having a dumb supper at some point - maybe Sunday?  I don't know, I tend to not get too caught up on the actual date of our celebrations.  We're spending this week doing lots of fun stuff - crafts, baking, getting little skulls airbrushed on our fingernails Smiley , decorating, drumming, listening to music.  I love this time of year!
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 26, 2009, 03:00:24 pm »

Any rituals?
   Special feast?

I'm going back to the group I trained with as a guest (after hiving off about 18 months), which I'm very much looking forward to. The specifics of what we do are one of the things we keep private, because we want people new to the ritual to experience it without preconceptions, but the ritual focuses on remembering loved ones and our ancestors, including a feast featuring foods important to those we're remembering or to the cultures we come from.

I usually also do something personal on the night of Nov. 2nd, which is the anniversary (adjusted for my current time zone) of my father's death. (He died just after midnight, early on Nov. 3rd in Boston, and I now live in Minneapolis, an hour back.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 26, 2009, 03:46:32 pm »

Any rituals?
   Special feast?

On Halloween, I plan to watch as many horror movies as I can.  Also I'm planning to give out candy to the trick or treaters. On November 1st,  I'm planning to go to a ritual celebration.  There are going to be raffles and lots of food.  I can't wait.

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
skullhappy
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 01:23:58 pm

Religion: Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 26, 2009, 06:19:44 pm »

Any rituals?
   Special feast?

Well, I can't wait either! I LOVE this time of year so much. We will take our nine year old out trick or treating, then a party the whole town goes to at the school, then trying to get the child to sleep, then I plan on doing a ritual. I went out today to the Halloween Outlet and got six black candles which I will use on my altar. I plan on doing a ceremony for my deceased grand parents, whose deaths, one year apart, really affected me. Of course, I will welcome any ancesters who want to make an appearance, but the ceremony is really honoring my grandparents most of all. I will put a little picture of them on my altar (well, just my grandmother, I don't have any pics of my grandfather  Cry but I am hoping that my intent will make up for that shortcoming, and let the magic happen as it will.
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 26, 2009, 06:42:28 pm »

Any rituals?
   Special feast?

This is my favorite time of year and there's never a shortage of things going on.  My plans aren't all nailed down yet, but I do know that I'm going out to a couple costumed celebrations on the 31st.  On Sunday, I'm planning a dumb supper and a small remembrance ritual for two specific people. I have a feeling the friends I'm visiting will find some other things for us to do as well.  I'd hoped to catch one of Voltaire's shows over the weekend, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Blackdragon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 02:20:53 am

Religion: Stregheria

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 28, 2009, 03:51:52 pm »

Any rituals?
   Special feast?

If we were in a warmer clime we would be burring food for the dead. But as the ground is already freezing, and we are on clay anyways we will be burning paper representations in our fire pit instead.

We will also be taking the 2 year old trick or treating
kodak01
Apprentice
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 03:18:05 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 30, 2009, 12:15:44 am »

Any rituals?
   Special feast?

I'm going to attend regular coven ritual.

also, we will have our first family ritual. We're going to remember our ancestors, give thanks to God and Goddess for providing for us and then we will have our dumb supper.

I'm sort of apprehensive because I'm the only practicing pagan in my family. My husband and daughter are very curious and they're excited about learning more and having this Samhain ritual. I hope I do everything right.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 30, 2009, 01:02:52 am »

Any rituals?
   Special feast?
You could say "special feast," I guess.  

Saturday I'm going to be serving lamb stew to 500 people at an Irish festival.  Don't know why, but the local Irish Cultural Center always schedules its festival the weekend of Halloween.  I've been discouraged from wearing my groovy cool Mrs. Lovett costume while I'm serving.  Can't imagine why.

We probably won't be doing anything for Samhain this year, even though it's usually the only neo-pagan type holiday my family celebrates with any consistancy.  But with Francis' thrilling new medical problems combined with this catering weekend from heck, I just don't see a lot of energy left for celebration.
Lovesdalionking
Master Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:39:44 pm

Religion: Searching Solitary Human Being

You are beautiful, no matter what

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 30, 2009, 09:23:05 pm »

Any rituals?
   Special feast?
I'm going to be volunteering at an animal shelter and I'll be dressed up. ^^

Then I'm just having a party with my fam and friends. ^^ And I'll have some quiet time for myself to light a candle and just celebrate Halloween (or Samhain) that way. Smiley

I also might take some halloweenish quizes online. hehe Tongue
Darkangel1991
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 02:27:39 am

Religion: Agnostic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 02, 2009, 02:05:09 pm »

Any rituals?
   Special feast?

I slowly build up an altar(from nature walks and frugal finds/buys), I carve a pumpkin-lantern and feast with family/friends. I go outside and look for the changes in the Earth. I remember the dead and make new years resolutions. I also do "spring cleaning" in the fall. Out with the old in with the new.
WickedWit
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2013, 10:05:25 pm

Religion: Hellenic Neo-Pagan & UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 02, 2009, 06:57:57 pm »

*pokes her head out of the rabbit hole*

I was really excited for Samhain too (and I had fun, even if I did have to spend the next day recovering)!  Smiley  I'm really involved with the local CUUPS folks, so that's where I spend my Sabbats.  We had a mid sized turn out, mask making (I made mine ahead of time because I knew I would be busy running! LOL), and lots of food for the feasting after the ritual!

WickedWit

"He who cannot draw on three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)