The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 11, 2019, 06:25:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:25:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Tarot decks  (Read 8458 times)
Redheaded GodMama
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 16, 2007, 12:39:45 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 09, 2007, 01:25:29 am »

I read the favorite tarot decks thread w/ great interest.  I've only been reading Tarot about a month but already have come to find it extremely useful and therapuetic.  I tend to look on it as a combination of magic and Jungian therapy. 

My mother has some serious misgivings about divination and has urged me to be careful what I let 'in' so to speak. This seems like good advice, in many things, actually.  She was excited and curious to find out what I was doing w/ Tarot until I mentioned that the deck that really speaks most to me is the Crowley-Thoth deck. 

To be completely honest, I knew nothing about Aleister Crowley before I picked up US Games' 'Complete Tarot' box which comes w/ both a CT and an RW deck plus a book by Susan Levitt and various other doodads.  When my mother heard that I liked the CT deck a lot, she became very agitated becuase of Crowley's... er.. dubious reputation.

What I've found out about my mom, recently, is that she isn't the most thorough research fellow.  After she expressed her misgivings, I did quite a bit of research and though I probably won't become a disciple of Mr. Crowley's, I could find nothing that gave me a bad vibe of any kind concerning his deck.

I've thought about it a lot and talked about it w/ a few people I respect and have continued to use the CT deck.  My rationalization has been that the deck is a tool, it's not a representation of the person nor does it contain the energy of the person who created it.  Furthermore, though again I'm not likely to follow in Mr. Crowley's path, I think a great deal of what my mother read has been exagerrated or misrepresented.

To me, a deck is a tool and I put my own energy into my readings as well as that of any querent I might take on eventually.  I might not necessarily agree with everything it's creator did in his life, but that shouldn't preclude my use of a tool he created if it happens to be what works for me.  I guess my question is, what do others w/ more knowledge and experience feel about this deck?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #1: May 09, 2007, 01:55:08 am »

To me, a deck is a tool and I put my own energy into my readings as well as that of any querent I might take on eventually.  I might not necessarily agree with everything it's creator did in his life, but that shouldn't preclude my use of a tool he created if it happens to be what works for me.  I guess my question is, what do others w/ more knowledge and experience feel about this deck?

There are a few people on TC who use the Thoth as their prime and they'll probably speak up.  I just wanted to address this point.

My view is that, while a deck might reflect its creator's philosophy to a certain extent (more so with Crowley because he changed a couple of card names and their order, less so with most RW inspired decks) it doesn't really 'carry' anything of the creator with it.  You are the one using it, and you are the one who is putting your imprint on the specific, physical, set of cards you use.  Your associations will eventually overcome some of the meanings you are learning now, and the cards will reflect your mind-set.

By that I mean that if you develop an association for a card that is different from the standard the card will show up when that associated meaning is what is needed, rather than when the original meaning would call for it.  Cards 'mold' themselves to their reader because they are, as you say, a tool.  That is why most readers, while they will allow a client to shuffle, will not allow anyone else to actually read with their cards.  It confuses the imprint and for some of us can cause a backlash (in my case, headaches) even when the other person using them is a student or apprentice.

Use the deck that speaks to you.  Crowley himself may not be your cup of tea, but he designed a good set of cards.  They will bear your imprint as long as you are the one reading them.

You can reassure your mother that, except under very specific and intended circumstances, cards don't let anything 'in' in the way of a ouija board.  The communication is from the client to you and back to the client.  The cards focus, and in some cases buffer, the information.  It's not a spirit-dependant medium.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 09, 2007, 11:23:29 am »

I'm on my second Tarot deck right now.  I started using the Gendron Tarot at first, and now I'm currently the Gilded Tarot.  I'm actually saving up to buy a new deck though, the Druid Craft Tarot.  I never really liked any of the "basic" tarot decks like the Ryder Waite, or the Witches Tarot.  The artwork didn't speak to me as much.  I use only a very basic knowledge of what the tarot deck's book says, and most of the time I don't bother reading anything in there at all.  I never use it while doing actual readings, in fact I don't even know where my current book is...  When I do a reading I just say what comes to mind from the clues of each card.  It's my own energy and the energy of the person I'm reading for but I basically beleive that the way it works (in my mind anyways) is that the question gets tossed up into the greater knowledge that we're all a a part of, and then the reader is able to access that knowledge through intuition that is triggered by the cards.  It's like we already know the answer, we just have to "remember" what it is.

Ana

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 09, 2007, 11:45:18 am »

My view is that, while a deck might reflect its creator's philosophy to a certain extent (more so with Crowley because he changed a couple of card names and their order, less so with most RW inspired decks) it doesn't really 'carry' anything of the creator with it. 
I could just say... what Marilyn said. I use a slightly non standard deck with a celtic theme... because it suits me, it works and I like it Wink
(we'll leave all issues with accuracy of the creators interpretations and stuff aside - I like it, and it works for me lol)

You are the one using it, and you are the one who is putting your imprint on the specific, physical, set of cards you use. 
 Cards 'mold' themselves to their reader because they are, as you say, a tool. 

What Marilyn said.

Use the deck that speaks to you.  Crowley himself may not be your cup of tea, but he designed a good set of cards.  They will bear your imprint as long as you are the one reading them.

You can reassure your mother that, except under very specific and intended circumstances, cards don't let anything 'in' in the way of a ouija board.  The communication is from the client to you and back to the client.  The cards focus, and in some cases buffer, the information.  It's not a spirit-dependant medium.

Absent

(Slight Drift warning)
Although cards can get you called names when they hit exactly the right spot Wink
And I still say HE chose the cards, HE wanted to try them, and so he can't blame me if the cards he picked were... accurate to the serious wig-him-out-briefly point.

I did warn him they worked. And yes, once he stopped calling me names, I was evil enough to giggle - inwardly at least - it's not often I get to see that particular look on his face. (Not as if it's the first time he's called me witch anyway, only this time I think he actually meant it lol)
He got over it Smiley

Katherine
Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2007, 02:06:14 pm

Religion: My Own

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 09, 2007, 12:44:45 pm »

I just use a standard deck of playing cards.  The only Tarot deck I have had was a deck I purchased  overseas.  It called to me from the store shelf.  They started scaring me so I throw them away.

The playing cards I use now works fine. 
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: May 09, 2007, 02:24:32 pm »

(Slight Drift warning)
Although cards can get you called names when they hit exactly the right spot Wink

Definitely.  Plus, when the readings include predictions, be prepared to get equally undeserved blame and credit.  People confuse predicting a thing with causing it all the time.  My own brother threatened me over a prediction once (as if I could have 'caused' his wife's aneurysm) but once he calmed down he also remembered I had said she would be fine after the surgery and held onto that while he waited.

Similarly I have had a client come back and give me a percentage because I said a combination of cards could indicate gambling luck and he went from my table to the card tables.

People confuse the reader with the reading all the time.  You can warn them not to, but it's gonna happen and you have to develop some way to deal with it.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 09, 2007, 02:44:44 pm »

People confuse the reader with the reading all the time.  You can warn them not to, but it's gonna happen and you have to develop some way to deal with it.
Absent

One of the reasons I don't usually read for other people.

Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 09, 2007, 02:50:54 pm »

I find I can't read for myself.  I read too much into things and always want to look for things that would give me the answer I want.  I find my best readings are for people I've never met before.

Edited:  I forgot the quote Smiley

Ana

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 09, 2007, 02:55:39 pm »

I find I can't read for myself. 

Usually I only read for myself, getting the answer I want is another matter Wink
I can read for other people... I just don't like to. Maybe I just don't like people too much as a species since that's not the only thing I don't like to do for other people lol

Feels like a new sig ling.... Just because I can doesn't mean I want to do it for you

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #9: May 09, 2007, 04:05:47 pm »

The important question is: Do you feel o.k. with that deck? Does it help you to do readings? Is it understandable for you? If you answer those with 'yes' you shouldn't care about anothers opinion too much.

As a friend of mine said once: 5 witches, 7 opinions Wink

But if you'd like to hear mine:
I have this deck for over 20 years now. It was the gift of my best friend in school. I havn't found another Tarot Deck that worked as good for me as the Thoth Tarot did. (Which is it's name too. I think it is called Crowley Tarot because of the sinister 'charme' this causes. You as well could call it the Harris Deck because its her artwork after all. But that wouldn't sell as well I guess  Grin)

So, yes cards are a tool, so I have to choose the tool that works best for me - if somebody else does not like them, he does not need to use them. Tools come in a lot of shapes  Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #10: May 09, 2007, 04:11:07 pm »

I do read for other people sometimes, but not with them sitting in front of me. I take my time for a reading and often I use my other sets to confirm or to clarify something, so I think that would maybe look strange to somebody else. But since this is mostly family or close friends that's not a problem to read in their absence.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 09, 2007, 04:30:38 pm »

<snippage>I guess my question is, what do others w/ more knowledge and experience feel about this deck?

That was the first deck I ever read with. Didn't take me long to choose a different one. Every single reading I did with the Thoth deck was negative--even the "good" ones had a lot of "bad" behind them, as if waiting in the wings. When I tried a plain ol' Rider-Waite, that stopped. I've never had the same kind of experience with any other deck in my possession (and I have about two dozen, or so), not even "in the reverse" (with all readings being "Good" so to speak).

My two cents, worth what you paid for 'em. :-)

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
V
Journeyman
Last Login:November 27, 2008, 01:10:38 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 09, 2007, 05:32:39 pm »

I find I can't read for myself.  I read too much into things and always want to look for things that would give me the answer I want.  I find my best readings are for people I've never met before.

I soooo agree with you on this one.  Some people claim they can read for themselves, but that is way beyond me right now.

If you stand with one foot in yesterday and the other foot in tomorrow, you'll piss all over today.
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 09, 2007, 06:04:50 pm »

I soooo agree with you on this one.  Some people claim they can read for themselves, but that is way beyond me right now.

As I already said, I read for myself, but rarely. Mostly because I learnt not to ask unless I really want to know. Getting the answer is so not the same thing as getting the answer you would like to get lol
(Especially when you keep getting the same cards until you stop resisting listening. ho hum... not that i would ever do that of course Wink )

Someone a lot wiser than I will ever be once said not to ask the question unless you really want to know the answer.

V
Journeyman
Last Login:November 27, 2008, 01:10:38 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 09, 2007, 07:15:00 pm »

Someone a lot wiser than I will ever be once said not to ask the question unless you really want to know the answer.

Well, that pretty much hits the nail on the head for me, Purplewitch.  Thank you!

I'll bet that explains a game I play sometimes: although I'd never try to fake a pendulum swing during a real reading, I'll occasionally tell my guides to leave it alone so I can TRY to make it answer the way I want it to.  Cheesy  (Just for fun!)

If you stand with one foot in yesterday and the other foot in tomorrow, you'll piss all over today.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)