The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 24, 2021, 01:42:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2021, 01:42:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Special Discussion: Seeker FAQ project  (Read 26505 times)
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 26, 2009, 02:57:28 pm »

Also, "What does 'thwapped' mean?" and the ever-popular, "I haven't been thwapped!  Who do I worship/can I worship anyone/what's the deal?" and possibly "Why haven't I been thwapped?" (Although that one might fit in well with the definition of the word.)

I'm willing to give this topic a try.  I'm actually not doing NaNo this year, but I do hang out with my friends who are doing it while I work on my various other writing projects.  So November might actually be a good month for me to work on this kind of thing.

If that would be helpful.  Mods certainly don't have to use what I write if they don't think it's helpful, but I'll take a crack at it.   Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: October 26, 2009, 03:00:38 pm »

- What kind of things can I do with magic?  (Might fall under "what is magic".)

If it were 5-10 years ago, I would also suggest:

- How do I <insert anything done on either The Craft or Charmed here>

But I'm not sure if the newbies these days would know about those or not.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 26, 2009, 03:02:27 pm »

So.  What do you think is most needed information for new people?  What are the questions we're all sick to death of answering, and yet people NEED answered and answered coherently?

I actually wrote a sort of 'Vodou 101' article - they aren't common questions, but I do see it pop up from time to time.

I think a simple glossary might not be a bad idea, either - explaining things like 'sacrifice', 'consecrate', 'cleansing', 'grounding'. A lot of times I see people answer newbie's questions with terms instead of explanations. To tell someone to 'ground & center' is fine, but what if they have no clue what 'ground & center' means?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #18: October 26, 2009, 03:03:00 pm »

If it were 5-10 years ago, I would also suggest:

- How do I <insert anything done on either The Craft or Charmed here>

I'm still seeing a fair bit of "Don't I need four people, one for each element, to cast a circle?" in newbie discussions online. Not nearly as often as it used to be, but .. oh, one every 2-3 weeks, rather than several times a week.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #19: October 26, 2009, 03:08:19 pm »

And I'll note that I'm happy to give permission to include my Critical Reading and Pagan Books (or, more usefully, maybe do a revision of it that's shorter and more concise) along with whatever else I volunteer to do.

I think that's an excellent idea.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 26, 2009, 03:08:57 pm »

• Is Satan involved anywhere in here?
  • Is sex required anywhere in here?

What is divination for?  When is it appropriate?  What are runes/tarot/entrails/whatnot?

I know that these questions and some of the others brought up are answered in the Teens and Paganism FAQ.  I wonder, is it possible to just keep adding articles to that FAQ?  Either to the pre-existing pdf or as extra pdfs?  Maybe we could rename it so it doesn't exclude non-teens?  Then when a question comes up, we can just link them right to one page with 'all the answers'.  And maybe even make a sticky topic in the 101 folders that links there also.  (I went looking for the FAQ a few days ago and it took me a few mintues to find it, and I knew it existed.)

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 26, 2009, 03:52:50 pm »

that one might fit in well with the definition of the word

I'm still reading before I add any questions, but this makes me think that a pagan glossary could be worthwhile; something covering the words that have particular meanings in pagan contexts. Especially some off the ones that end up being contentious, or have special emotional loading in those contexts. I suspect it would end up being myultiple, common usages for some words, because there is no one neat definition; just a whole raft of different ones that aren't what it means at school or aunt Fanny's.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 26, 2009, 03:56:26 pm »

while also encouraging posters to take care of things on a mundane level instead of assuming it's a curse

Which puts me in mind of - What do you mean by debate and discussion?, What are the rules of polite-but-rigorous discussion and debate? What do people mean by critical thinking and how do I acquire/develop those skills?

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #23: October 26, 2009, 04:02:29 pm »

Either to the pre-existing pdf or as extra pdfs?

As an aside, PDFs are very convenient and have a range of benefits at the production and distribution end of the picture; unfortunately, they have some significant drawbacks at the consumer end (which I'm happy to discuss elsewhere if anyone's particularly interested). I think that the outcome of this project would be of a lot more benefit and would achieve more of its objectives if integrated into the site other ways. A discussion for another day (or thread) though, this one's on too good a roll to diverge yet Smiley

BGMarc at the Pub
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: October 26, 2009, 05:02:24 pm »

- How do I figure out which book is right when they say different things?
- How do I decide what to read?

"Why do some people say this book is great and other people say it sucks?"

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: October 26, 2009, 05:18:10 pm »

I know that these questions and some of the others brought up are answered in the Teens and Paganism FAQ.  I wonder, is it possible to just keep adding articles to that FAQ?  Either to the pre-existing pdf or as extra pdfs?  Maybe we could rename it so it doesn't exclude non-teens?  Then when a question comes up, we can just link them right to one page with 'all the answers'.  And maybe even make a sticky topic in the 101 folders that links there also.  (I went looking for the FAQ a few days ago and it took me a few mintues to find it, and I knew it existed.)

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

A lot of the Teen FAQ is actually not specific to teens.  Some is, but most isn't.  And several of the topics suggested in this thread are included in the Teen FAQ.

It might make sense to consider combining (and renaming) the Pagan Primer and Teen FAQ into a "Seeker's Guide" or something like that, and expanding it with additional topics and deepening the existing material.

If we can come up with a way to reorganize the existing pieces and to make it easy to continue to build on it, I think that would give us the highest quality, most comprehensive, and most user-friendly source of info.

This is a very exciting project.  Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #26: October 26, 2009, 05:26:19 pm »

Even if they don't, there's always going to be some pop culture reference that will need to be clarified, whether it's Charmed, The Wicker Man, Bewitched, Eastwick, etc.  It's the "Is real life like Hollywood?" question. That'll be an easy essay to write... "No. The End."   Cheesy

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #27: October 26, 2009, 05:34:39 pm »

I'm still seeing a fair bit of "Don't I need four people, one for each element, to cast a circle?" in newbie discussions online. Not nearly as often as it used to be, but .. oh, one every 2-3 weeks, rather than several times a week.

Building on this: What's a circle? How do I cast one? Will bad things happen if I don't cast it correctly?  Why are circles cast?  I'm not Wiccan, should I cast a circle? 

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: October 26, 2009, 05:44:09 pm »

I'd like to have the outline together by mid-November, given a choice, and start parceling out essays after that.  So here are some of the questions to get it started.  (I'll lump them into groups after I've got a bunch).

I think there really needs to be a discussion of the various different (major) Pagan religions in this guide -- including some basic info on their beliefs, ethics, etc. Enough info that a seeker can immediately see that they are NOT a version of Wicca or generic Neo-Paganism.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: October 26, 2009, 05:57:31 pm »

I think there really needs to be a discussion of the various different (major) Pagan religions in this guide -- including some basic info on their beliefs, ethics, etc. Enough info that a seeker can immediately see that they are NOT a version of Wicca or generic Neo-Paganism.

And we already have those in the Teen Pagan FAQ so all we would need to do is tweek them so they can be applicable to a larger audience Smiley

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.