The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 15, 2019, 12:32:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2019, 12:32:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Meaningless in ritual  (Read 3489 times)
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 27, 2009, 10:42:26 am »

I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way.

As I read and research more about CR, I feel like something is missing, especially in terms of ritual.  I know that our ancestors had very powerful and moving rituals, but it seems like the only rituals described are simple things like meditating by a candle flame, giving an offering by a river, having dinner at your friends' house, etc.  While those are nice to do, I want something more.  I want to get something out of a ritual...that maybe the wrong attitude, but to stay involved with this religion, I need to feel like I am participating in something meaningful.  And looking at the rituals described in those books...they seem to be difficult to do in the modern world, f'ex I don't have a cow to drive between two bonfires, ya know?  Roll Eyes  

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 27, 2009, 01:50:44 pm »

Also, is it possible to narrow down CR practices into a ritual template?  Is there a step-by-step process for us to follow? 

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: October 27, 2009, 01:58:56 pm »

Also, is it possible to narrow down CR practices into a ritual template?  Is there a step-by-step process for us to follow? 

Some do. I guess.
We had an interesting link here....
http://thunderpaw.com/neocelt/

Though it does not work for me. I'm not on an island and therefore not surrounded by the sea.
(If you do not take it in the broadest sense, that all continents are surrounded by sea, though it's a pretty long way to the east shore from where I live!)

YMMV, but personally I do not believe that a reconstruction is possible.
A re-invention, maybe, but I've got hardly nothing here to reconstruct something.
Folklore and folk magic kept a few things for quite a time, but it is nothing that is helpful for my practice.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 27, 2009, 02:25:01 pm »

ADF is not CR, but does work with Celtic gods and symbols in a pretty structured ritual.  There is the opening of the gates: well, tree, and fire; honoring of the ancestors; offering to the nature spirits and outsiders, followed by the business of honoring the gods.  It might be something worth checking out.  You have to become a member to have access to their full site, but there is quite a bit of free info there too: www.adf.org

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 27, 2009, 02:26:44 pm »

YMMV, but personally I do not believe that a reconstruction is possible.
A re-invention, maybe, but I've got hardly nothing here to reconstruct something.
Folklore and folk magic kept a few things for quite a time, but it is nothing that is helpful for my practice.

I don't think so either.  My practice is to cultivate something that is inspired by the ancients but to fit into a modern world, which seems to be quite a task...

I want something more than give offering for Deity. I want to feel connected.  I want to understand things.  I want to tap into that *something* I've been searching for my whole life.  

darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 27, 2009, 02:33:04 pm »

ADF is not CR, but does work with Celtic gods and symbols in a pretty structured ritual.  There is the opening of the gates: well, tree, and fire; honoring of the ancestors; offering to the nature spirits and outsiders, followed by the business of honoring the gods.  It might be something worth checking out.  You have to become a member to have access to their full site, but there is quite a bit of free info there too: www.adf.org

I've been involved with ADF and am considering rejoining when I have the time.  I'll give it another look. 

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #6: October 27, 2009, 04:10:24 pm »

That page seems really cool.
Can't focus this evening, but added it for later.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Shadowolf
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 21, 2011, 12:05:12 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 27, 2009, 05:57:27 pm »

I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way.

As I read and research more about CR, I feel like something is missing, especially in terms of ritual.  I know that our ancestors had very powerful and moving rituals, but it seems like the only rituals described are simple things like meditating by a candle flame, giving an offering by a river, having dinner at your friends' house, etc.  While those are nice to do, I want something more.  I want to get something out of a ritual...that maybe the wrong attitude, but to stay involved with this religion, I need to feel like I am participating in something meaningful.  And looking at the rituals described in those books...they seem to be difficult to do in the modern world, f'ex I don't have a cow to drive between two bonfires, ya know?  Roll Eyes  

I often have the same feeling.  I am a solitary eclectic with my greatest (right now) leanings toward CR.  I do however do rituals with a coven of Wiccans on occaision.  This may sound strange, but they like my energy and allow me some "adjustments" and it gives me some sense of ritual and unity.   I think the problem is as you stated that we don't live the lifestyle anymore and don't have the benefit of our entire familiy and community following the same path   I have to question if the Ancients had ritual in their everyday lives, maybe the need was fullfilled by celebrating the major holidays or in times of great need ?
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: October 27, 2009, 07:01:02 pm »

This is a ritual that many CRs (and I) participated in for Samhain 2007. Drafted by two founding members of the CR movement, it may answer your question. Which is: yes, there is a template based on these members' own CR work, and a step-by-step process. Whether it will be "meaningful" to you is, of course, dependent on your own experiences with it.

I Stand With Tara Samhain Ritual

I may have more thoughts on this later but I've had a rough day and I can't gel anything together. Hope this gives you some food for thought, though.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Ainwyn
Apprentice
Last Login:February 10, 2011, 03:58:30 pm

Religion: Irish Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 28, 2009, 01:17:10 am »

I know that a lot more CR groups are trying to develop rituals.  It's a fairly young religion, so for a while a lot of the efforts of its leaders went to figuring out just how it worked and what the religion was going to achieve.  That's a lot of work.  But now CR at the point that we can start looking at other aspects of our spirituality.  I'm in two practicing groups online (no one within a hundred or so miles of me is CR, so that's all I can do for now) and one of them has its members perform a ritual every new moon, plus the four main festivals which are still being developed.  And for the other group, I have a day of devotion to Brighid every Sunday.  The Tara Ritual is a good example of CR ritual, and I'm going to see if I can morph it into something I can do by myself on Sunday Smiley
darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 28, 2009, 08:58:40 am »

Thanks for all the advice, guys.  I've been looking through the links and have been getting some ideas.  I'm seriously leaning toward joining ADF again with a more Irish recon focus than an PIE focus like they are supposedly endorsing.

Ainwyn
Apprentice
Last Login:February 10, 2011, 03:58:30 pm

Religion: Irish Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 28, 2009, 10:24:30 am »

Thanks for all the advice, guys.  I've been looking through the links and have been getting some ideas.  I'm seriously leaning toward joining ADF again with a more Irish recon focus than an PIE focus like they are supposedly endorsing.

I meant to post this, sorry.  The group I'm in is Gaol Naofa.  We just had a server change, but most of our website is back up.  www.gaolnaofa.com
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 07, 2009, 08:32:03 pm »

If you rejoin ADF, check out the Clann na Gael kin group. That's where us Irish-leaning folks hang out.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)