The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 01, 2020, 01:17:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2020, 01:17:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cauldrons  (Read 7993 times)
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am
United States United States

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 09, 2007, 02:54:27 pm »

Do you have a cauldron and what do you use it for?

I received a cast-iron cauldron for a Yule present this year, but I'm almost afraid to use it.  I don't want to mess it up.  It's so pretty!

Ana

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 09, 2007, 03:25:40 pm »

I received a cast-iron cauldron for a Yule present this year, but I'm almost afraid to use it.  I don't want to mess it up.  It's so pretty!

Nice present Smiley
I don't have one, maybe one day.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: May 09, 2007, 04:47:06 pm »

Mine is made of copper - and it is totally messed up by now  Undecided
But I use it for Candlemagic mostly, so it does not really matter.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
V
Journeyman
Last Login:November 27, 2008, 01:10:38 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 09, 2007, 05:02:35 pm »

I can't wait to hear how others use theirs--I'll bet the uses are as diverse as the membership on this message board!  Please forgive the length of this, but I love cauldrons!  If it's too long, I'll gladly take a few lashes from a moderator. 

First, you can't mess it up unless you put it away wet and forget about it for months.  Rust can be remedied unless it eats a hole and that takes a long time.

FIRE:  I put fire in mine and scry or burn herbs and magical writtings that need burning, etc.  If your cauldron is big enough, it's a great and safe place to burn candles.  As long as the cauldron is properly seasoned, the wax will peel right out when you're done.

WATER:  Water in a black cauldron is one of the best scrying mirrors I've seen.  I love to take mine outside and "capture" the moon's image in the water.  (Easy way to make blessed water for ritual use.)  Just dry it out and heat it up afterwards in the oven to get it completely dry.

EARTH:  Earth or sand in your cauldron makes a slate for writing on.  You can practice making symbols, figure out sigals, doodle as you think, etc.  This is LOADS of fun for me because I can quickly rub out my work if my husband walks in (as if he would care--there's just something childishly fun and perfect about hiding what I'm doing sometimes.) Wink

If you put salt in cast iron, be sure to clean it out really well with oil and paper towels before storage or it will rust terribly and you'll have to use steel wool, onion, or another remedy.

AIR:  I often think of any act of stirring in the cauldron as reinforcing the concept of Air as in...

If, for example, I'm using my cauldron to gain insight into an issue, I've already given the problem a lot of thought (Air stirring).  I've tried to become as aware as possible of the factors involved--tried to sort out where my logic (Air) ends and my emotions (Water) begin, etc. 

When I'm ready, I might go outside for dirt or potting soil, a few stones or sticks to represent obstacles, a stick to "write" with, and maybe a leaf or a feather for no particular reason.

Back inside, I'd fill my cauldron with Earth of some kind and stick a small candle (Fire) upright in the dirt to light my surface and symbolize my Will.  I'd smooth the dirt surface and place the obstacles as I understand (Water) them at this time and call my Spirit Guides to help me gain greater understanding of my issue.

Here comes the fun part.  I'd use my stick to draw paths around my obstacles until I felt ready to confront them by moving them around, kicking them out of the way, reordering them, etc.  Sometimes I realize that a bunch of issues are actually one issue so several of the obstacles can leave the cauldron.   

If I got stuck and the ideas stopped flowing, I might just shove the stones to the edge and use the center to "stir" by drawing spirals (like walking a labrynth).

If you stand with one foot in yesterday and the other foot in tomorrow, you'll piss all over today.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 09, 2007, 05:15:05 pm »

If it's too long, I'll gladly take a few lashes from a moderator. 

The Cauldron has no length requirements on posts.  As long or as short as does the job is all we care about.

However, if you think something might be a rules violation, can you please ask the moderators FIRST instead of just saying it might break rules in the post? thanks.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 09, 2007, 05:29:20 pm »

As long as the cauldron is properly seasoned...
How does one do this?  I've got a small cast iron cauldron that I'd like to get more use out of, but I should probably season it first.

If, for example, I'm using my cauldron to gain insight into an issue, I've already given the problem a lot of thought (Air stirring).  I've tried to become as aware as possible of the factors involved--tried to sort out where my logic (Air) ends and my emotions (Water) begin, etc. 

When I'm ready, I might go outside for dirt or potting soil, a few stones or sticks to represent obstacles, a stick to "write" with, and maybe a leaf or a feather for no particular reason.

Back inside, I'd fill my cauldron with Earth of some kind and stick a small candle (Fire) upright in the dirt to light my surface and symbolize my Will.  I'd smooth the dirt surface and place the obstacles as I understand (Water) them at this time and call my Spirit Guides to help me gain greater understanding of my issue.

Here comes the fun part.  I'd use my stick to draw paths around my obstacles until I felt ready to confront them by moving them around, kicking them out of the way, reordering them, etc.  Sometimes I realize that a bunch of issues are actually one issue so several of the obstacles can leave the cauldron.   

If I got stuck and the ideas stopped flowing, I might just shove the stones to the edge and use the center to "stir" by drawing spirals (like walking a labrynth).
This sounds like a lot of fun.  I might have to try something similar.

Right now, my cauldron is sitting on my shrine to Brighid, 'cause it's the only thing I could find that seemed to have anything to do with smithing - it being iron and all.  I foresee replacing it with something more to the point, so it'll be available for other uses soon.
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 09, 2007, 05:46:47 pm »

I burn things for magical workings.  Rarely though.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 09, 2007, 06:01:15 pm »

I burn things for magical workings.  Rarely though.

I think rarely is key to why a cauldron would be nice-to-have but is not very high on the list.
Darn it though, it'd do wonders for my image to have one Wink

Actually, i do need something to burn charcoal in... hmm...

V
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 09, 2007, 06:12:41 pm »

However, if you think something might be a rules violation, can you please ask the moderators FIRST instead of just saying it might break rules in the post? thanks.

Thanks.  Will do! Smiley

If you stand with one foot in yesterday and the other foot in tomorrow, you'll piss all over today.
V
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 09, 2007, 06:56:42 pm »

How does one do this?  I've got a small cast iron cauldron that I'd like to get more use out of, but I should probably season it first.

Cast-Iron seasoning prep:  First, you'll want to get off all the rust.  You can use steel wool to scrub.  Many people wouldn't do it, but I've used an S.O.S. pad to scrub it.  You wouldn't want to do this very often, but to salvage a badly rusted pot, you might need to do it once or twice. 

An onion cut in half and rubbed on the rust works well too, but it may not break up all of the rust.  After rubbing on the onion, towel it off with something like newspaper.  Keep rubbing onion and toweling off the yuck until your towel comes off clean.

When the rust is gone, you can wash it in soap and water before you season it. 

To season:  hoist that cauldron and rub her down with a vegetable cooking oil--outside and inside.  More rust or blackness may come off on your towel as you rub.  Keep rubbing and oiling until she's clean enough for your purposes. 

Turn on the oven to about 325 F degrees.  Make sure she's greased well, but not gooey with oil as that will just make her get greasy/sticky.  Bake her for a few hours.  How long depends on how neglected she was.  You can even take her out every couple of hours for another rub-down with oil and paper towels.  She'll just get cleaner and cleaner with each rub-down.  Her surface will get finer and begin to look "sealed."

In somewhere between 3 and 10 hours, she'll be seasoned.  Rub her hot body down with toweling, let her cool, and store her where it's DRY.   From then on, if she's got candle wax in her, scrape it out and rub her clean.  If she's held, say, dirt or water or salad, rinse her well, heat her up, and oil her down.  If she's touched meat, eggs, milk, etc., she'll need to be washed in soap and water and re-seasoned before storing.  With practice, you'll know when to re-season.

juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 09, 2007, 08:47:58 pm »

I have a little cast iron one with three legs, about 5 inches across. I use it in every ritual as the Center or what some call Spirit, the representation of the combination of elements, earth (iron), Fire (well, duh) Air (smoke) and water (shape of Cauldron).

Usually I fill mine about half way with rock salt (to protect the cauldron), and place a few thumb size chunks of firestarter in it. The firestarter stuff is sold at any hardware store, made of usually cedar chips and wax, make to light quickly to get a fireplace log fire going. I use three, maybe small four chunks for a lovely non-smoky fire that burns itself out in about 45 minutes. When the ritual is done, I use rock salt poured over the remants to be sure all is out. I clean the cauldron the next day, after everything is nice and cool. I always put an altar tile under it as well, in my case one I make of a beautiful large slab of agate with a pentacle on it. It's a great hot plate holder.

Occasionally, if really working with one element, I will use dry ice for a "Water" fire (great for scrying), or denatured alcohol (usually steeped in herbs) for a lovely blue "Air" fire. These are trickier and require some practice to keep going and of course with all fire related work I take all precautions necessary, especally if there are cats or small kids or even just clumsy adults around *juniper raises hand*.

The cauldron is the center of the circle, the place of transformation, so I often write things to be begun or ended on flash paper and toss it in the cauldron as part of many rituals. This is so popular it has become a tradition in my family for Yule, we write wishes for the New Year and take turns tossing them in the cauldron. The flash paper does a small explosion as it hits the fire and is a fun theatrical effect. My 5 year old grandson in particular thinks it's the coolest thing ever, he always has LOTS of new wishes for the coming year  Grin

I've been using that little cauldron for, oh 18 years now? It's in still great shape, good 'ol cast iron thing it is. I can't imagine doing a holiday celebration or magical working without the cauldron's flame helping things along.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:53:51 pm by juniperrr, Reason: hit post instead of preview, spelling, coherency » Logged
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 09, 2007, 08:51:12 pm »

I
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:55:03 pm by juniperrr, Reason: Hit Quote instead of Modify. Please delete mistake. » Logged
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 09, 2007, 09:27:49 pm »

I don't have a cauldron, but I use a couple of dif. cast-iron skillets that used to belong to my grandma.

I use mine mainly for burning stuff in, only thing with a skillet is that you have to remember to put a trivit under it cause it can get very hot.
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 09, 2007, 11:16:14 pm »

Cast-Iron seasoning prep: 

Thanks so much for this!  My cauldron is so pretty I didn't want to ruin it.  It's about 6" in diameter with a pentagram on the front and it's just been sitting on top of the mantle on my fireplace since Yule.  Now maybe I can start using it!

Ana

Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: May 09, 2007, 11:34:31 pm »

I actually have two.  One I use for burning things.  The other I use for food items.

Elspeth Sapphire

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)