The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 04:16:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 04:16:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Philosophy in religion?  (Read 5292 times)
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 31, 2009, 03:10:45 am »

What do people here think the legitimate/useful roles are for philosophy within the context of religion? Various ancient and classical Greek and Roman philosophers activly enquired into the nature of the gods and into the role dictated for religion by reason, along with a raft of other religiously-related thinking and practice. So, what are philosophers good for in your religion?

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 02, 2009, 11:22:54 am »

What do people here think the legitimate/useful roles are for philosophy within the context of religion?

I think they are good for those who want to know whys and hows and such.  Questions are often not well addressed by 'bibles', and religious philosophy goes beyond the pendantic tone often found in religious texts.

AntlerandHerb.com
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: November 02, 2009, 11:23:59 am »

What do people here think the legitimate/useful roles are for philosophy within the context of religion? Various ancient and classical Greek and Roman philosophers activly enquired into the nature of the gods and into the role dictated for religion by reason, along with a raft of other religiously-related thinking and practice. So, what are philosophers good for in your religion?

Kindling! Cheesy

actually, FlameKeeping is pretty much on the religion/philosophy line.  With a larger-than-I'd-like dollop of self-help at times.

So I'm not sure the question really applies - since if you get rid of the philosophy, there's not much left!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
samham73
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 21, 2011, 12:13:39 pm
Spain Spain

Religion: Celtic shamanism/Norse Paganism

"not many are shamans, but shamanic practitioners"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 03, 2009, 06:10:01 pm »

Im not entirly sure that philosophy fits well with religion, seem as though philosophy is seen as trying to answer the question "why?" and doing that with rational thoughts. Philosophy seems to be the best friend of science, seems as science could not exist without philosophy or we would live in a world without empathy or in a world without morals. But philosophers arnt very good for religion because they try and find the reason "why?" and with religion you cant justify the answer with proof but only faith. For example: "We cant prove that the gods exist, they`re just there/they just do".
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: November 03, 2009, 09:35:52 pm »

For example: "We cant prove that the gods exist, they`re just there/they just do".

Many philosophers were disagree and would claim that they can prove that God exists.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: November 03, 2009, 11:17:46 pm »

with religion you cant justify the answer with proof but only faith.
<raises eyebrows> Those religions that are not faith-based would be very surprised to hear this.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 04, 2009, 01:21:40 am »

religious philosophy goes beyond the pendantic tone often found in religious texts.

Are there any areas that it goes into that you find more useful than others?

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 04, 2009, 01:30:48 am »

Im not entirly sure that philosophy fits well with religion, seem as though philosophy is seen as trying to answer the question "why?" and doing that with rational thoughts.

It is often the case that philosophy is focused on the whys of a thing and it is always the case that it proceeds along an explicit line of reasoning (that is adequately supported at each linkage). There is also a lot of philosophy that focuses on the whats though: What is it that exists? What do we actually mean when we use certain terms? What sort of proof is needed to support a given claim?

Do you think that this sort of philosophy is as much at odds with religion as that which examines the whys?

...with religion you cant justify the answer with proof but only faith. For example: "We cant prove that the gods exist, they`re just there/they just do".

Do you think that there are any questions posed by religion that can be answered other than via faith?

The sort of questions I have in mind (and which springboards off your example) are ones such as "These gods you believe in, what are they? How do they influence the world? When you say that they exist, what is it you are actually claiming about reality? Are you claiming that there are (for example) twelve supersized, anthropomorphic, physical entities that reside at the top of a famous mountain in Greece?

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 04, 2009, 01:33:10 am »

Many philosophers were disagree and would claim that they can prove that God exists.

It seems to me that the more generally-accepted proofs rely on the listener being a believer (and so accepting some of the premises) or 'cheat' by defining deity to be something other than people's more common, inuitive understandings of the word. Both are quite respectable philosophy IMHO, but should be clearly labelled before being offered to consumers as a bargain Smiley

BGMarc at the Pub
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 04, 2009, 11:36:58 am »

Are there any areas that it goes into that you find more useful than others?

Personally I don't.  I am not really looking for some great meaning or purpose in life, and I realize that I am probably in the minority on this planet.  If I had not been thwapped, I would be an atheist.  My comment was based on growing up Catholic and having had conversations with various priests and Jesuits.  Most educated religious Catholics are very interested in the philosophy related to their religion, and will discuss it avidly.   

AntlerandHerb.com
samham73
Senior Apprentice
Spain Spain

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 05, 2009, 12:07:47 pm »

<raises eyebrows> Those religions that are not faith-based would be very surprised to hear this.

Sunflower

What religions do not have faith?
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: November 05, 2009, 12:18:38 pm »

What religions do not have faith?

There is a difference between having faith and being faith-based.  There are religions where the proper PRACTICE matters far more than the belief, and people in the same religion can be of wildly differing beliefs.  Like, say, Wicca.

samham73
Senior Apprentice
Spain Spain

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 05, 2009, 12:45:32 pm »

There is a difference between having faith and being faith-based.  There are religions where the proper PRACTICE matters far more than the belief, and people in the same religion can be of wildly differing beliefs.  Like, say, Wicca.

So, are you stating that you can be part of a religion and not have faith or believe in the gods in that religion? And that wiccans do not believe in the gods? All you need to do is practise the customs?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: November 05, 2009, 12:48:43 pm »

So, are you stating that you can be part of a religion and not have faith or believe in the gods in that religion? And that wiccans do not believe in the gods? All you need to do is practise the customs?

There is a wide variety of beliefs you can have - what matters is the practices.  (As I understand it, I am not Wiccan - so if I get this wrong, please understand it's ignorance and not malice).  But if you follow the practices correctly, it doesn't MATTER if your view of the gods is soft polytheist and the person next to you is hard polytheist and the person across from you is unitarian.  What matters is that the practices are correct.

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: November 05, 2009, 02:59:46 pm »

So, are you stating that you can be part of a religion and not have faith or believe in the gods in that religion?

I certainly think faith is completely overrated, myself.  I don't have any use for it, which is arguably fine 'cos I don't appear to have any capacity for it either.

It's not necessary for my religion either.  I mean, the ancients were prone to telling the gods, "Look, if you don't fix this thing, the offerings will stop" or "I'll make you a special gift if you do this", all tangible, real-world stuff.  I started faffing around in Egyptiana and tried the basic ritual in the spirit of "I guess I should give this a whirl once, but rituals make me feel like a dork" and discovered that, among other things, it was a functional control on my mental illness issues.  Believing in what works works for me.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.