The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 11:35:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 11:35:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sensational Dancing Horse  (Read 5497 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 09, 2007, 06:50:22 pm »

This is pretty spectacular, though I have to admit I'd hate to be the announcer during a dressage event.

The World Equestrian Games Freestyle Dressage Final performance of Andreas Helgstrand on Blue Hors Matine.

http://www.flixxy.com/world-equestrian-games-freestyle-dressage.htm

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 09, 2007, 06:55:35 pm »

This is pretty spectacular, though I have to admit I'd hate to be the announcer during a dressage event.

The World Equestrian Games Freestyle Dressage Final performance of Andreas Helgstrand on Blue Hors Matine.

that's just... droolworthy....

I like horses, so sue me Smiley

juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 09, 2007, 08:00:13 pm »

This is pretty spectacular, .....  htm

OH my Gawwwwwdddds! What a fantasic finish! The extended trot into a Piaffe into an across the diagonal Passage into a Piaffe pirouette was amazing! It is very, very hard work for the horse to do any of the three and to do them all in a row and with such height and brilliance! Wow!

I think I loved the part in the middle best, where after doing several taxing movements, the rider loosens the reins and his mare just completely relaxes. This is done to prove the horse is happy and enjoying herself as well, actually a very hard thing to do. Especially as the mare was swishing her tail around all over the place, usually a sign of tension.

One Tempe's and two temples were decent, canter pirouettes quiet good, spectacular half passes, trot most notably. And all with only about 6 years of training. WoW!

*sigh* At one point in my horse career I trained an ex-racehorse to do several of the movements. He did the BEST canter half passes, so athletic going sideways was as easy a forward. But his forte was jumping, anything, anywhere, any size, so I did not dwell on dressage as it develops different muscles and eventually takes away from jumping. Love to see a great ride like that,  however, thanks Lyric. I'll be back to see it again and again.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 09, 2007, 08:35:21 pm »

OH my Gawwwwwdddds! What a fantasic finish! The extended trot into a Piaffe into an across

Glad you liked it. Smiley

I watched it and didn't even think it was less fun than watching concrete set. Rather unusual for me while watching dressage.

Really, really nice.

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 09, 2007, 08:49:52 pm »

Seriously awesome - I think I need to watch it again when demon here goes beddy byes - actually even HE liked it Smiley

OT, kinda, but you'll see why you made me think of it lol
 I grew up in a place with less than 2000 people, wild, forgotten, complete middle of nowhere (a rock in the middle of the ocean actually). So all us kids had ponies since there was nothing else to do and plenty of wild places to ride. When I was 10 we got to skip school every afternoon for a week because someone got her ex husband to come tutor us kids for a week for free.

He rode lippizanners (I don't think I can spell) at the Spanish riding school in Vienna Smiley
Bet he felt like he was trying to tame the wild bunch!

juniperrr
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 09, 2007, 09:04:48 pm »

I watched it and didn't even think it was less fun than watching concrete set. Rather unusual for me while watching dressage.

Really, really nice.

Oh yeah, watching dressage is usually something you wish on your enemies, so they may all die of boredom. Even my family wouldn't watch my rides at 3 Day Events when I was competing, which was fine as I didn't really want to be there either! It was the step you had to do to get to the cross country phase.

Important step, you can't jump like a yahoo without solid on-the-ground training, but lower level dressage is sooooooo abysmally dull.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: May 09, 2007, 09:50:59 pm »

Oh yeah, watching dressage is usually something you wish on your enemies, so they may all die of boredom.

Or polo. Another boring ass thing to watch.

I never got the chance to play it, though we did play chest polo at my equestrian camp when I was a teen and it was an absolute ball. I always wanted to play the real thing.

I suspect that it's a case of needing to participate rather than sit and watch a lot of.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 09, 2007, 10:19:15 pm »

That was one of the best dressage performances I've ever seen.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 10, 2007, 06:57:34 am »

OH my Gawwwwwdddds! What a fantasic finish! The extended trot into a Piaffe into an across the diagonal Passage into a Piaffe pirouette was amazing! It is very, very hard work for the horse to do any of the three and to do them all in a row and with such height and brilliance! Wow!

Yeah, it's like shifting gears and flapping your wings into a hover at the same time. Wink

He rode lippizanners (I don't think I can spell) at the Spanish riding school in Vienna Smiley
Bet he felt like he was trying to tame the wild bunch!

That had to be awesome. Smiley

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 10, 2007, 07:46:10 am »

Are the tail flicks in time to the steps part of it?  I keep getting the impression of Jan Bradys ponytail on a horse.   Grin

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 10, 2007, 01:06:56 pm »

Wow!  I wish I had a horse who could do that!  If I did I'd dance with her every day.  That was just beautiful.  It gave me goosebumps.  I'm gonna have to post the link on ly LJ now.

Guen  ~:)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: May 10, 2007, 01:24:14 pm »

Are the tail flicks in time to the steps part of it?  I keep getting the impression of Jan Bradys ponytail on a horse.   Grin

From discussion of the piece elsewhere:

Tail lashing like that is probably a sign that the horse is irritated.  Probably because she knows what she's supposed to be doing and she keeps getting nudged to do it in a ticklish spot.

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 10, 2007, 03:01:56 pm »

Tail lashing like that is probably a sign that the horse is irritated.  Probably because she knows what she's supposed to be doing and she keeps getting nudged to do it in a ticklish spot.

It was so timed, and directional that it gave the vibe of a goofy chick with a ponytail flopping her head to the same side as the direction she was headed in.  Every time there's a direction change, the tail changes.

I remember the lack of warnings about ticklish on a bareback beach ride.  I made the mistake of curling my feet up under a horses belly.   Embarrassed  Embarassing was only a tenth of it.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
juniperrr
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 10, 2007, 07:56:37 pm »

Actually it's no so much ticklish, as a tension release reflex. It begins as reaction to not being sure what to do or not wanting to do what is asked and can become a very hard to break habit. It is a shame because it really took away from the mare's talented performance.

Dressage is a very demanding sport and no one asked the horse if she wanted to do it, probably the reaction developed early in training. However, the mare must enjoy it what she does, you simply can not get such brilliance out of a miserable horse, no matter how gifted.

It is a personality thing, some horses chomp the bit, some jig, some even stick their tongue out the side of their mouths. It can mean the training was rushed in places and made the horse tense and unhappy and it developed into a habit, like fingernail biting in humans. In a dressage test, that tail wringing will cost them many points.

But I am happy to see the trainer did not resort to the detestable practice of having the muscles cut that go to the tail. Some disgusting people will do that to cover the habit and their training mistakes.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 10, 2007, 08:00:35 pm »

It was so timed, and directional that it gave the vibe of a goofy chick with a ponytail flopping her head to the same side as the direction she was headed in.  Every time there's a direction change, the tail changes.

I remember the lack of warnings about ticklish on a bareback beach ride.  I made the mistake of curling my feet up under a horses belly.   Embarrassed  Embarassing was only a tenth of it.

If you watch the Spanish Riding School, you will see very little of the tail action.  This is generally considered a no-no, as the horse is irritated, as stated above.  In this case, they seem to have given some leeway - some horses just swish their tails no matter what.

A cranky horse being groomed will often switch that tail towards your eyes.  Their tail hairs are very coarse (they are used for violin, viola, cello and string bass bows, after all) and can do some damage.

In fact, under a microscope, horse tail and mane hairs are closer to human hairs than any other animal.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)