The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 24, 2020, 06:53:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 06:53:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADMIN: Membership Class Changes  (Read 7463 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: November 01, 2009, 05:47:41 pm »

Regular members should have posting access to all public boards (except admin ones, obviously) -- including the ability to start new topics, etc. That is, if I haven't messed something up.  If there are any bugs, post them here and I will try to fix them within 24 to 36 hours (aka "I don't live online").

All Basic and Companion members have been returned to Regular member status. Full members are still Full members for the time being, but the Full Membership will be phased out as soon as a few private areas are taken care of.

A start of the board reorganization has been made (the Social area), MUCH more over the next week.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 02, 2009, 08:14:05 pm »

Regular members should have posting access to all public boards (except admin ones, obviously) -- including the ability to start new topics, etc. That is, if I haven't messed something up.  If there are any bugs, post them here and I will try to fix them within 24 to 36 hours (aka "I don't live online").

All Basic and Companion members have been returned to Regular member status. Full members are still Full members for the time being, but the Full Membership will be phased out as soon as a few private areas are taken care of.

A start of the board reorganization has been made (the Social area), MUCH more over the next week.

Does this mean that "full" members will lose access to the Cauldron Community private once full membership is phased out?
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: November 02, 2009, 08:48:11 pm »

Does this mean that "full" members will lose access to the Cauldron Community private once full membership is phased out?

We are working on what to do with Cauldron Community.  There will be a new private board for all members where stuff can be posted that people don't want guests to see (or to be available to the entire Internet via a Google search). Originally, I was thinking of using CC for that, but open reflection there are some threads that people might not want jumping from an audience of 300 or so who have proven themselves able to follow rules to an audience of "whoever signs up for an account."

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 02, 2009, 09:13:05 pm »

We are working on what to do with Cauldron Community.  There will be a new private board for all members where stuff can be posted that people don't want guests to see (or to be available to the entire Internet via a Google search). Originally, I was thinking of using CC for that, but open reflection there are some threads that people might not want jumping from an audience of 300 or so who have proven themselves able to follow rules to an audience of "whoever signs up for an account."

Probably to much work, but time register plus number of posts gets an invite from the mods?
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: November 02, 2009, 09:57:12 pm »

Probably to much work, but time register plus number of posts gets an invite from the mods?

Definitely too much work. It really needs to be something SMF can handle automatically -- and it has very limited abilities in this area.  We could easily do number of posts, but then would have no way to block anyone with that number of posts from the private board if they turned out to be a troublemaker there. Sad

Randall
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: November 02, 2009, 10:14:33 pm »

Definitely too much work. It really needs to be something SMF can handle automatically -- and it has very limited abilities in this area.  We could easily do number of posts, but then would have no way to block anyone with that number of posts from the private board if they turned out to be a troublemaker there. Sad

Look at it this way, anyone who causes that much trouble anywhere on TC is going to be shown the door.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Nehet
Adept Member

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 03, 2009, 01:13:45 am »

Would it be good to start a thread on this in CC?
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: November 03, 2009, 08:12:56 am »

Would it be good to start a thread on this in CC?

Someone can if they want, but since the only way to allow "almost everyone" in there would be for me to reread every message in every thread to decide what absolutely has to be deleted before it could be so opened I think using CC as the new private category is unlikely as I lack the time and interest to do that.

Randall
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 04, 2009, 01:37:38 am »

I understand the reasons and am not complaining, but somehow membership suddenly feels a lot less 'special'. Until it was gone, I didn't realise that an important part of my feeling/experience of membership was associated with there being meaningful degrees of membership. Funny the things you learn about yourself Smiley and funny the things you don't realise are important to you until they're gone Sad

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Nehet
Adept Member

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 04, 2009, 02:14:11 am »

I understand the reasons and am not complaining, but somehow membership suddenly feels a lot less 'special'. Until it was gone, I didn't realise that an important part of my feeling/experience of membership was associated with there being meaningful degrees of membership. Funny the things you learn about yourself Smiley and funny the things you don't realise are important to you until they're gone Sad

I don't remember what the requirements were for "Full Membership", but I don't think they were all that difficult to meet.  I remember when I got on here the Kemetic board was only for full members.  So, I was counting the posts until I could ask for full membership...and it wasn't that many posts.  I think I had to make 15 or 20 posts without being an asshat, but I don't remember.  I looked for the thing on how to apply for full membership and it's been deleted already.  But my point is that it wasn't that hard.

I understand what you're saying about membership feeling less "special", without full member status, but I think it was just a label.  I didn't even realize there were so few full members on this board because I didn't pay attention.  I pay attention to the quality of someone's posts. I'll admit that I also pay attention to the number of posts a person has made but that's not necessarily a good indicator of credibility.  I could get high adept status by posting 550 (I think) more posts in one of the random social threads saying things like "it's 12:04 p.m. and I have realized that I have no life."   Tongue 

You have posted some pretty interesting, insightful stuff and that's not something that is going to change if a label goes away.  That goes for any of the other "full" members who post regularly and have contributed something valuable to the discussions.
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 04, 2009, 03:02:14 am »

You're right on all counts Smiley That's what I found so funny. I had no idea what Full Membership entailed or entitled me to and no idea how few people bothered. I didn't even realise it was the sort of thing I'd notice until I read Randall's post.

PS: Thanks for the kind words about my ramblings Smiley

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: November 04, 2009, 07:08:38 am »

I don't remember what the requirements were for "Full Membership", but I don't think they were all that difficult to meet.  

They really weren't.  Two weeks' membership and I think it was 15 posts or more were the quantitative requirements.  There was also a requirement to show by your posts that you could follow the rules and understood (and could deal with) the board culture, but most people didn't seem to have too much of a problem with that.  And even if there was an issue, I don't think we ever permanently turned anyone down; there was always the option of reapplying later after certain conditions had been met.  (Generally, "certain conditions" was essentially "two more weeks using quoting correctly".  Wink  )

It was never intended to be "these people are special, and these others aren't".  It was only really meant as a way to make sure people understood this place (which is, after all, a bit different from many pagan forums) before turning them loose on the board at large.  I think we thought most people would apply, which...  turned out not to be so much the case.

I could get high adept status by posting 550 (I think) more posts

As I recall, Adept is 1K, High Adept is 2500, and then Grand Adept is 5K.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: November 04, 2009, 07:47:54 am »

I understand the reasons and am not complaining, but somehow membership suddenly feels a lot less 'special'. Until it was gone, I didn't realise that an important part of my feeling/experience of membership was associated with there being meaningful degrees of membership.

Full membership was never intended to be special status. It was intended to be the normal membership class for active members of the board. We expected 75% to 85% of our active members to be full members.  It was intended only to confine spammers, true fluffs, and those who just could not adapt to the rules and the board to a handful of boards. Unfortunately, it did not work like this is practice. Far fewer members bothered to apply for full membership than expected. The only membership classes intended to be "special" were the donor classes.

Randall
mead
Apprentice
Last Login:October 11, 2010, 04:06:28 am

Religion: daemonic shamanism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 08, 2009, 03:26:46 am »

Full membership was never intended to be special status. It was intended to be the normal membership class for active members of the board. We expected 75% to 85% of our active members to be full members.  It was intended only to confine spammers, true fluffs, and those who just could not adapt to the rules and the board to a handful of boards. Unfortunately, it did not work like this is practice. Far fewer members bothered to apply for full membership than expected. The only membership classes intended to be "special" were the donor classes.

It was a spam, one post wonder  and troll filter of sorts that is what I surmised.

. As a relatively new member  here I think the reason for the low numbers was in the required member  initiative. . If I remember the directions correctly the member had to  "apply" in a essay form so to speak and submit it to staff who would then vote on weather or not you could be admitted – I think  there was like a 15-20  post /two week -month  membership or something like that – I am pretty close to eligibility  now .

As silly as it may sound that can be sort of intimidating for many. For people like me it was an issue of what to say – The best I could muster was –

“ let me in let me in”

"Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin"

" Then  I will huff and  puff . . ..

I wasn’t sure it would have worked but I had my serious doubts.  I can answer stuff,  if sufficiently  motivated by a burning question   I may even begin a discussion but  out side of the three little pig partial I had no idea where to even begin. a request essay  I am pretty laid back but vocal as far as temperament goes and although I am new here I  am far from new to forums. So those more timid or less familiar are going to have   a lot more hesitation .

For many it may be a fear of rejection , what if you say no. For myself  the basic area  is all I know it is all I have ever participated in so I do not miss the other area because for me it doesn’t  exist .

Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: November 08, 2009, 05:31:54 am »

As a relatively new member  here I think the reason for the low numbers was in the required member  initiative. . If I remember the directions correctly the member had to  "apply" in a essay form so to speak and submit it to staff who would then vote on weather or not you could be admitted – I think  there was like a 15-20  post /two week -month  membership or something like that – I am pretty close to eligibility  now .

the average memeber request we got was "applying for full membership" + (please)/2.

did we ever get an essay? not that i remeber. im certainly not going to check.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)