The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2020, 04:46:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 04:46:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wines for cooking?  (Read 2266 times)
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 02, 2009, 10:34:29 am »

Okay, I am totally unfamiliar with using wines for cooking. 

I'm curious.  I've heard that using cheap wine is fine for cooking but on the other hand I've also heard you should use the better wines for better results. 

So, anyone that uses wines for cooking, could you please share your experiences and tips with me.

Today I am making a lowfat French Onion soup.  It calls for white wine. Smiley I love French Onion soup so I'm hoping it turns out good.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 02, 2009, 10:43:30 am »

I'm curious.  I've heard that using cheap wine is fine for cooking but on the other hand I've also heard you should use the better wines for better results. 

So, anyone that uses wines for cooking, could you please share your experiences and tips with me.

Today I am making a lowfat French Onion soup.  It calls for white wine. Smiley I love French Onion soup so I'm hoping it turns out good.

One of the things to keep in mind is that when you hear "cook with what you'd drink", a lot of that came from when people would buy "cooking wine" in the spice aisle. That stuff is awful. Sad

What I tend to do is use the less expensive stuff to cook with. Walmart carries a decent line of inexpensive wines from Oak Leaf Vineyards that I've used and been happy with. The rule of thumb for me is what KIND of wine I need to add. If I need a sweeter white wine, using a Chablis won't work. A Riesling will be more in keeping with what I'm going for. Ditto the red wines.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: November 02, 2009, 10:44:41 am »

My rule of thumb is that I won't cook with anything I wouldn't drink.  (Partly because the recipe never uses a full bottle, so I want to be able to enjoy what's left!  LOL)  I don't feel a great need to cook with really good wines in general, though.  I tend to go for a bottle somewhere around $8-10.  This isn't fine wine, but there's some very drinkable stuff in that price range, and it's worked pretty well for me in cooking.

My pallette, or however you spell it, is also not very refined though.  I drink stuff in that price range because I know good and damned well that I can't tell a $20 wine from a $200 wine.  No sense in spending my money on a taste difference that I'm not going to appreciate.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: November 02, 2009, 10:46:36 am »

One of the things to keep in mind is that when you hear "cook with what you'd drink", a lot of that came from when people would buy "cooking wine" in the spice aisle. That stuff is awful. Sad

I didn't know that, but it does make the suggestion make more sense.  There is wine I won't drink, though (Sutter Home, J. Roget, Boone's Farm, etc.--the really super-cheap stuff), and like I said I do want to enjoy the rest of the bottle once I'm done cooking, so I still tend to use it as a guideline even if it's a bit dated.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 02, 2009, 10:52:07 am »

Thanks both of you. Smiley  What you're saying makes sense.

My brother used to drink the Boone's Farm because it was cheap and he just wanted to get drunk. 
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: November 02, 2009, 10:55:14 am »

a lot of the super-nuanced stuff - you lose the nuance in cooking ANYWAY.  You should get cheaper end of drinkable, not cheap-OMG stuff.

I tend to cook by smell - if it smells good together, it'll probably taste good together.  If it smells kinda funny, it'll probably taste funny too.

Keep in mind - not ALL alcohol cooks out, but enough does that unless you've got a massive sensitivity issue or something, it doesn't matter.  And if you really want the richness of the flavor of the wine in there, it's best to add just a tiny bit more wine just at the end of cooking to get the full flavor back.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 02, 2009, 11:12:06 am »

I get Vendage in the larger bottles - and always have a dry white and a decent red on my kitchen counter (is use those cap things on them that reseal to keep them good.  But I use a lot of wine.  I could drink Vendage, it's not awful or anything, but as Heartshadow says, nuances are going to be lost.  So what I like to drink is going to be nicer/better/more expensive - but since I use enough and reseal the way I do, my 'cooking wine' doesn't go bad. 

AntlerandHerb.com

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)