The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 16, 2017, 01:38:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:38:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How do you comunicate to the divine?  (Read 4114 times)
samham73
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 21, 2011, 12:13:39 pm
Spain Spain

Religion: Celtic shamanism/Norse Paganism

"not many are shamans, but shamanic practitioners"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 03, 2009, 12:42:43 pm »

I was reading a post a few minutes ago, and this question came to me "how do you comunicate with the gods or the divine?". This intrests me because, the only way I comunicate is by meditating and then sending my astral self to them. Another way I use is summoning their presence to my altar and then comunicated threw meditation or by simply observing nature and figuring out how they are feeling or what there answers are by the way nature acts around me.

I was wondering if anyone else uses any other way to comunicate with the divine? or if any other ways exist to comunicate?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: November 03, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »

I was reading a post a few minutes ago, and this question came to me "how do you comunicate with the gods or the divine?". This intrests me because, the only way I comunicate is by meditating and then sending my astral self to them. Another way I use is summoning their presence to my altar and then comunicated threw meditation or by simply observing nature and figuring out how they are feeling or what there answers are by the way nature acts around me.

I was wondering if anyone else uses any other way to comunicate with the divine? or if any other ways exist to comunicate?

Usually I speak.  If other people are around I'll do it very softly, as though talking to myself, but...  I just talk.  I've never been great at meditation and I've never even tried astral projection.  Talking seems to work just fine, so...  ::shrug::

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Bronwyn29
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 22, 2010, 05:18:57 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Everyone knows that bunnies dont lay eggs

Blog entries (0)

Teri Tate

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 03, 2009, 01:23:11 pm »

Usually I speak.  If other people are around I'll do it very softly, as though talking to myself, but...  I just talk.  I've never been great at meditation and I've never even tried astral projection.  Talking seems to work just fine, so...  ::shrug::

Thats what I do too, just speaking softly, sometimes I use meditation too. It depends on if I have the time to do that.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #3: November 03, 2009, 02:26:14 pm »

I think really loud.  Sometimes you might say shout. Cheesy   Then I pay attention to any thoughts I seem to 'hear' more than think (like that thing where you suddenly hear somebody call your name - it startles you, especially when there is clearly no way for it to have been external).  Once in a while I go for signs, but mostly I refuse to acknowledge any sign that is not clear enough to be completely absurd.

I don't meditate very often, and when I do it's the no-mind variant, not journeys or conversations.  Occasionally I will dream in capital letters, but most communication is on a verbal-but-not  level.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Balakirev
Journeyman
Last Login:November 08, 2009, 10:01:39 pm

Religion: Witch. non-practicing Gardnerian. Shamanistic.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 03, 2009, 03:03:21 pm »

I often use the first of those you indicate, sending myself out to find an appropriate pathway.  It's very easy for me, and I can do it with next to no preparation.  Sometimes it feels as though the divine is present without seeking, though, and I'm just a part within in.  Then there's no traveling, because there's no apparent distance. 

Other methods I've used include meditation on an object, or, occasionally, ceremonial ritual.
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 03, 2009, 03:11:33 pm »

I used to think- I'd focus on them, and then start talking in my head to them. Another form I've tried is writing it down on paper, and then sending it to them (via various methods). However, Kemetic heka seems to focus on the spoken word, so I've gotten into the habit of sitting down and talking to them, using my voice. However, if I need to speak to them asap, and ppl are around, I revert back to the mental talking. Usually, as soon as I start to focus on them, they (or something related to them) shows up, so I don't have to worry about summoning.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 03, 2009, 03:36:42 pm »

I think really loud.  Sometimes you might say shout. Cheesy   

I shouted once - and I just have to say "be careful what you ask for".  I am glad of the final outcome, but the path from there to here was not easy!

AntlerandHerb.com
samham73
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 21, 2011, 12:13:39 pm
Spain Spain

Religion: Celtic shamanism/Norse Paganism

"not many are shamans, but shamanic practitioners"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 03, 2009, 05:00:43 pm »

Wow, thanks guys. I`ll try some of these methods and see if they work for me Smiley
MidSummer RagDolly
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2011, 11:27:44 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 03, 2009, 09:14:18 pm »

I generally just address whom ever it is that I want to speak with: 'Great Mother Goddess...etc' and then either speak out loud or think loudly. Another way is through meditation. I find that when I come out of meditation I always feel fulfilled and reassured.

Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war, love is a growing up. -James Baldwin

Forever and a day <3

Blog:
http://midsummerragdolly.wordpress.com/
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 03, 2009, 10:29:55 pm »

I was wondering if anyone else uses any other way to communicate with the divine? or if any other ways exist to communicate?

For me, the communication isn't done so much by me speaking as by me listening - it's the quiet spaces between the words. I do pray occasionally, but it's usually in thanksgiving.

I have decided that as well as giving thanks, I think I need to give praise as well. It feels weird to me because I don't even compliment people easily or readily, which is something else for me to work on Smiley

Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 03, 2009, 10:58:04 pm »

I have decided that as well as giving thanks, I think I need to give praise as well. It feels weird to me because I don't even compliment people easily or readily, which is something else for me to work on Smiley

It's a lot easier for me to give thanks than praise.  Thanks is about honoring what a deity has done for me.  Praise is about honoring who they are.  It's so easy for me to get lost in my own needs an only honor how a God has met those needs, without acknowledging that the Gods themselves are so much bigger than that.  Maybe I'm afraid of "so much bigger", and afraid that tapping into that would overwhelm me or change me.  Or maybe I'm afraid to change a relationship that's been dependable and reassuring. 

Maybe I just don't handle change well.   Wink

I think it might be a good idea for me to work on that. 

I feel that I commune best the the Gods when I keep silent.  Usually they communicate to me with energies, rather than words.  I try to put words to what they're communicating.  If I've come up with the wrong words, they're usually very good about letting me know. 
Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member
Last Login:November 04, 2010, 03:13:23 am

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 03, 2009, 11:10:34 pm »

Well, being very interested in the mystical arts I tend to lean more towards divination as a means of communication to diety. This is especially useful when communing with Apollon and, more indirectly, Zeus.
Beyond this I also communicate my gratefulness and my needs through sacrifice, voiced prayers, silent prayers with conviction, or other forms of offering. My favorite and dearest forms of offering are those of poetry, music, or other arts.

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." Abraham Lincoln

Praise be to Apollon, Lord of music and creativity!
MidSummer RagDolly
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2011, 11:27:44 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 04, 2009, 08:12:08 am »

My favorite and dearest forms of offering are those of poetry, music, or other arts.

I have found that while I'm no artist my poetry and some of the music I listen to (I am no musician either) have a tendency to make to feel connected. My poetry especially will come out as something meant for the Lady and Lord and I don't even realize sometimes that I'm doing it until i read over what I wrote.

Interesting.

Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war, love is a growing up. -James Baldwin

Forever and a day <3

Blog:
http://midsummerragdolly.wordpress.com/
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 05, 2009, 06:08:04 am »

I mostly just talk to them inside my head or sometimes out loud. If I want an answer I sometimes use my tarot cards especially if I have been having difficulties hearing them normally.
Adare
Master Member
Last Login:April 22, 2012, 07:10:16 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 05, 2009, 09:28:02 am »

I think really loud.  Sometimes you might say shout. Cheesy   Then I pay attention to any thoughts I seem to 'hear' more than think (like that thing where you suddenly hear somebody call your name - it startles you, especially when there is clearly no way for it to have been external).  Once in a while I go for signs, but mostly I refuse to acknowledge any sign that is not clear enough to be completely absurd.

I don't meditate very often, and when I do it's the no-mind variant, not journeys or conversations.  Occasionally I will dream in capital letters, but most communication is on a verbal-but-not  level.

Absent

Hm, I was trying to edit out the not-applicable to make the quote shorter, but there was nothing to take out.. Though I guess instead of 'shouting' I just get very focused  Smiley  I also use tarot, which is nice when I'm dense and need to ask specfic questions.

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
 -Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)