The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 19, 2022, 11:10:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2022, 11:10:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Elementals/Nature Spirits  (Read 2696 times)
Dance2MothersRythm
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 09, 2010, 07:36:02 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 08, 2009, 05:23:02 pm »

Wasn't sure where to stick this so I stuck it here.... Smiley

I'm interested in learning about nature spirits i.e Gnomes, Dryads, Fairies, and Brownies....
there seems to be a wealth of information and opinions on fairies but not much on the others.

lots of websites are kind of iffy and i haven't come across many books on the subject.
If anyone has any information about these creatures or books or links to helpful websites that would be great!! grin
I'd also like to know if there are certain ways to get in touch with these energies?

I'm familiar with the fairies in my house and garden, and I'm aware of what I think is a Gnome type character that hangs around but I'm having trouble connecting with him and the Brownie that hangs out in our yard sometimes.  They both seem like pretty shy little folk but if possible id like to connect with them more...
And the Dryads! I've always felt a strong connection to tress and when I started learning about the different elementals that are out there I was eager to learn all I could about Dryads, but I haven't had much luck with it
Thanks for any help in advance smile
 sorry for the lengthy post....

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Balakirev
Journeyman
Last Login:November 08, 2009, 10:01:39 pm
United States United States

Religion: Witch. non-practicing Gardnerian. Shamanistic.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 08, 2009, 09:52:11 pm »

I'm familiar with the fairies in my house and garden, and I'm aware of what I think is a Gnome type character that hangs around but I'm having trouble connecting with him and the Brownie that hangs out in our yard sometimes.  They both seem like pretty shy little folk but if possible id like to connect with them more...

Have you tried putting out a small welcoming gift, such as a jigger full of whiskey, vodka, or spirits (pardon the pun)?  If you do that regularly, you should find a friend made.  There are many traditions--Slavic, Celtic, etc--that offer such treats to hearth and garden spirits who in turn provide some minor protective benefits, as well as just a nice, clean feeling at the back of your self, like all is fine with the world.  It works.
EtuMalku
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 04, 2010, 01:51:15 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 07, 2009, 10:40:52 pm »

I'm interested in learning about nature spirits i.e Gnomes, Dryads, Fairies, and Brownies....
there seems to be a wealth of information and opinions on fairies but not much on the others.

lots of websites are kind of iffy and i haven't come across many books on the subject.
If anyone has any information about these creatures or books or links to helpful websites that would be great!! grin
I'd also like to know if there are certain ways to get in touch with these energies?

And the Dryads! I've always felt a strong connection to tress and when I started learning about the different elementals that are out there I was eager to learn all I could about Dryads, but I haven't had much luck with it
May I suggest a study in the origin of the words elementals and nature spirits?
Daimon is the word's origin and is Greek for 'Spirit Energies'. Later the Latin word Daemon came to be used as the Higher self / Holy Guardian Angel. Demon and its evil connotations come from the Abrahamic religions and there attempt at eradicating all things pagan.

Ati Me Pete Babka
theperfumer
Apprentice
Last Login:May 16, 2011, 01:14:50 am

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

magickalrealism

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 08, 2009, 03:15:17 am »

Elemental spirits have been a long-running point of curiosity for me, too, and I can't say I've ever really found any really satisfying information online or elsewhere about what they are and how they work. Take that with the grain of salt - I am fifteen years behind in my reading.

One of the things I'm working on myself is a sort of program to become intimately acquainted with the magical elements. When I set out to research them, I found that the place that has the most information is ceremonial magic, particularly the works of Agrippa (long, boring, but lots of helpful lists if you can slog it) and in hermetic works, namely Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon. I do not practice hermetics, but I did borrow from some techniques in Bardon's book such as "breathing" a specific element and breathing it out to get a better understanding of the element itself and what works in it. There is a Wiccan book, out of print, titled Elements of Wisdom by Margie MacArthur that does go over elementals in more detail than I've seen anywhere else, but ultimately you still have to find ways to experience them. I've found that offerings are very important and that interaction is just as important.

I haven't finished working through the elements, though - I got through earth, and it took me about 8 months with daily working. That was more than two years ago, and I have a long way to go to get through the rest.

"I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been TERRIBLE last words." - Christopher Eccleston
Shadowolf
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 21, 2011, 12:05:12 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 09, 2009, 09:28:03 pm »

I am far from an expert, but have a unique situation and my handling of it might be helpfull.   I live near a large nature preserve called "The Bog" It has an early history of savage killings between Natives and white settlers .   Most people find parts of it "creepy" and feel they are being watched by something.   I have gone there to meditate many times, which is difficult with the feeling that someone is looking over your shoulder, especially the first time.   I have tried to express to the energies there, who I am and what is my purpose.  The first few times not much happened except that it was obvious that I was not alone. Later little skittering things started to appear among the leaves on the ground. They are extremely shy and will dart away when you look at them.  I feel before any direct contact is made that they need to learn more about me because they do seem curious.  The last time I was there I was able to go into a deeper meditation and saw the spirits of 2 old Indian men to my right and what seemed to be the shadow of a bear like creature to my left.  The little ones were all circled around me.  I still don't know exactly what they are but i am hoping they will reveal themselves more when they are ready. The 2 Indian spirits are Minsis (Lenape) that lived in the areaand the large shadow I believe is a Manitou that had protected the Minsi people.   I think most of these entities tend to be shy and will only make contact when they feel comfortable
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 31, 2010, 06:39:37 pm »

I'm glad I did a search of recent threads, since I was wanting to ask a very similar type of question. I'd like to resurrect this thread and see if there are additional thoughts or advice since I know many here at TC are familiar with nature spirits.

Dumb question, perhaps - I want to leave out a bit of rum but am not sure if it's appropriate to pour it out onto the ground, or if I need to have it in some sort of cup... if it's the cup, what then? At some point, do I say "Well, it's been XYZ amount of time, I might as well dump it out?"

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 01, 2010, 09:46:56 am »

Dumb question, perhaps - I want to leave out a bit of rum but am not sure if it's appropriate to pour it out onto the ground, or if I need to have it in some sort of cup... if it's the cup, what then? At some point, do I say "Well, it's been XYZ amount of time, I might as well dump it out?"

I'd put it in a cup, or maybe a smaller container, not completely full, just a little, and let it dry.

Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 01, 2010, 02:21:44 pm »

I'd put it in a cup, or maybe a smaller container, not completely full, just a little, and let it dry.

Thanks -- I'll give it a try!  Smiley

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member
Last Login:November 04, 2010, 03:13:23 am

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 12, 2010, 12:30:46 am »

I would like to hear how this turns out!

As far as Dryads go, they are the only ones I have any experience with at all. I have felt the presence of a tree nymph in a tree that I see every day on my way home from work. I have not left any offerings, however, as it is on someone's property. I actually feel a little bad as I have not even identified the type of tree the daimon resides in. I often feel a definite sense of vitality and even sexuality when I pass by that tree. Hopefully I will find some way to offer the dryad something, identify the tree, an possibly find a name for the spirit. Dryads are definitely benevolent spirits most of the time, in any case.

You would definitely be well served to make offerings. Basically anything you feel might make a good gift to a tree spirit perhaps wine, spirits, oil, or unburnt incense. From what I have heard from others who have had experiences with nymphs, it can take a while to become
familiar with spirits like dryads. Also, be mindful of the species of tree they are tied to as dryads are specifically associated with oaks IIRC.   

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." Abraham Lincoln

Praise be to Apollon, Lord of music and creativity!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)