The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 28, 2020, 03:11:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2020, 03:11:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is your Earth based faith limited to Earth?  (Read 11498 times)
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 10, 2009, 10:26:29 am »

On  cycles, there are so many, the life/death/birth mysteries wouldn't go anywhere. Nor would women's mysteries.

Well, now. there is some speculation that women's cycles are directly affected by the pull of the moon. I wonder if long term time in space would have any effect on that....... off to check google......

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #16: November 10, 2009, 10:32:30 am »

Well, now. there is some speculation that women's cycles are directly affected by the pull of the moon. I wonder if long term time in space would have any effect on that....... off to check google......

I won't say it's impossible that they are so affected--but I seriously doubt it's universal.  (My body, for instance, seems to have missed that memo, even before the whole pregnancy/childbirth thing threw my previously like-clockwork cycle off its game.  My cycle's never seemed to correspond to the moon's.)  So this might be something that would affect some women, but I doubt it would affect all in the same way.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 10, 2009, 10:47:58 am »

How would your religion be practiced in the vacuum of space, or say, on the moon or Mars etc? Do you think there will be xxxxxxx-ians practicing off world, and how will it look different than what is on world today?

I would rather not move into space, myself. The thought of space is totally not appealing, and I'd probably only leave if I *had* to. However, after watching a doomsday special on Discovery over the weekend, it makes me sad- so many things are out to get us, and eventually, one day- this planet will cease to exist. Not a question of if, but when. So that does make me wonder what I would do. I have no idea of the Gods' reach and stretch- whether they know of and interact with other planets or races of beings (if you're into believing in alien-esque type things). I myself could continue to practice, but I think I would feel a little less fulfilled- no earth to enjoy, no seasons. No nothing. It's a bit saddening for me to think about, really.

I won't say it's impossible that they are so affected--but I seriously doubt it's universal.  (My body, for instance, seems to have missed that memo, even before the whole pregnancy/childbirth thing threw my previously like-clockwork cycle off its game.  My cycle's never seemed to correspond to the moon's.)  So this might be something that would affect some women, but I doubt it would affect all in the same way.
I have to agree. For most women, the womanly cycle is related to hormones more so than the moon. If your hormones are off, more than likely, so too is your cycle.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 10, 2009, 12:22:18 pm »

I have to agree. For most women, the womanly cycle is related to hormones more so than the moon. If your hormones are off, more than likely, so too is your cycle.

I have never had regular cycles, and my spirituality hasn't suffered because of it.  My periods have always just been sort of...there.  I deal with them, but I don't really ponder them.  I certainly don't feel more connected to Nature or to the Goddesses because of them.   I've been doing some research on whether or not there was any kind of "blood taboo" in Kemetic religion, but that's more of a feminist/academic thing than a spiritual one. 
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 10, 2009, 12:50:19 pm »

I have never had regular cycles, and my spirituality hasn't suffered because of it.  My periods have always just been sort of...there.  I deal with them, but I don't really ponder them.  I certainly don't feel more connected to Nature or to the Goddesses because of them.   I've been doing some research on whether or not there was any kind of "blood taboo" in Kemetic religion, but that's more of a feminist/academic thing than a spiritual one. 
That's like me. If anything, I viewed it as a nuisance, not some blessing from the gods, or a way to connect with the earth. I personally hate it, and would eradicate it if I could. I've heard of the blood taboo, but I have yet to come across it in any books. What I've read online I have mixed feelings about.
-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #20: November 10, 2009, 12:57:00 pm »

How would your religion be practiced in the vacuum of space, or say, on the moon or Mars etc? Do you think there will be xxxxxxx-ians practicing off world, and how will it look different than what is on world today?

The idea of moving into space, or at least traveling around out there (more Star Trek, less actual emigration, for me) appeals to me, but I think my gods would say 'have a nice trip, see you when you get back'.

The deities i follow are very tied to this earth and its denizens.  They have specific ties to earthly animals and earthly responsibilities.  I think of them as part of the place, more or less.

I'm pretty sure I could maintain contact as far as the moon and the sun, since there are legends of them going/living/having spouses there.  Probably they would come to mars for me, in a pinch and if I offered something nice.  Beyond that, I think I would have to either find new gods to approach or go godless.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: November 10, 2009, 01:52:19 pm »

How would your religion be practiced in the vacuum of space, or say, on the moon or Mars etc?

Space exploration, as exciting as I find it in concept, presents deep problems for me personally, though not so much for my religion.

The reason why I'm pagan is because I have a very Earth-based spirituality: I feel connected to the elements (like Rowan, I understand them in large part in an Earthly context), to the biosphere. So the idea of disconnecting from that for any extended period of time is unfathomable to me.

For example, I used to wonder if I could make it on a tour of duty on a submarine. No natural light, no air, just a tin can, for months at a time--No way. Human space travel is that times ten. So Mars is out for me, but I'd eagerly go to the Moon (3 days in each direction, which I could handle).

But my religion envisions deity on a number of levels, micro and macro, so while the more "local" aspects of divinity I'm most familiar with would cease to apply if I left Earth, the broader aspects would no doubt come into stronger focus. And if I were to relocate, say to Mars, I'm sure new local aspects of divinity would manifest. So my religion would still work.

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 10, 2009, 02:50:51 pm »

Reading everyone's replies, I'm beginning to see very clearly that An Seanchas Fior is not earth-based. And of course that makes perfect sense: An Seanchas Fior is all about storymaking, and I feel that our arena of storymaking has already expanded well beyond the Earth and will continue to do so. I think it is humanity's destiny to eventually wind up in space, if only because that is where our stories are taking us.

Then again, I watch Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly and a myriad of other space-based shows/films with unabashed glee, enthusiasm and hope for the future.  Cheesy  These stories of exploring space, and the stories of us traveling through it are really inspiring and appealing to me.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #23: November 10, 2009, 05:31:13 pm »

this is a sort of off shoot of the thread about whether you practice ritual per the calendar or the local seasons.

In light of the recent tourist in space stories, how long will it be before we have pagans in space? (That's pagans, not pigs..... for you that recall the Muppets....)

Teri

while reading this, a strange thought occurred to me. assuming that mars is completely uninhabited and devoid of life above the single ganglion brain stage, would it have a deity(ies) associated with it? how can there be land gods if the land is dead?

holy crap, there's a story in that..... boot microsoft word, boot!

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: November 10, 2009, 05:31:49 pm »

while reading this, a strange thought occurred to me. assuming that mars is completely uninhabited and devoid of life above the single ganglion brain stage, would it have a deity(ies) associated with it? how can there be land gods if the land is dead?

holy crap, there's a story in that..... boot microsoft word, boot!

Well, there's always .. Mars, the god ..... Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: November 11, 2009, 04:02:39 pm »

What if they did?  What if death becomes optional?

I am not sure if I buy into what some of my transhumanist friends posit...that eventually, technology will advance to the point where we can all choose when and if we want to die.  I have friends (very educated, down-to-earth friends) who honestly believe that they will some day have the option of having their minds uploaded somewhere and having their individual, personal consciousness persist indefinitely. 

I'd love to upload.  Depending on what stage of my life it happened at, I wouldn't even care that it may well be suicide (assuming a destructive upload) or just a loose 'copy'.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Pythuna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 12:59:17 pm

Religion: Panentheism

Wherever you go, there you are.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 09, 2010, 02:21:52 pm »

What an interesting thread.

Yes, there are people who never stagnate, who always think, who would be a benefit to humanity for as long as they could keep thinking.  But .. 99%+ of us are not that.  Which is not to say that we're worthless or anything along those lines - we're anything but!  But .. that's an AWFUL lot of people that would be existing in some form.  That's a LOT of people that HAVE stagnated, that don't have any reason to push, to create, to *do* - they'd just *be*.

Survival wouldn't even be a motivation, because we'd be eternal in our computer brains ....

It's interesting to me that you see this as a negative.  One of my big personal goals is to go from "to do" to "just be."  I've always wanted to go into a sensory-deprivation tank and separate myself from my sensory input and "just be."  I'd like "just be" to be my home base and any "to do's" to come out of the "just be" state, if that makes any sense.  To be in a state where time becomes meaningless and to be free to explore and think and experience..... and not have the time constraint of death.  *sigh* Now I'm all wistful.  Smiley

As far as the original topic goes, my religion would have no problem going into space.  "Have panentheism, will travel."  As far as Pele goes, she's clearly demonstrated to me more than once that Kilauea isn't her only kinolau.  The language I use with God is the world around me--coincidences, a certain type of bird in a certain type of tree at a certain moment, patterns, etc.  So the language wouldn't change in space, just the dialect.

Me ka pono~
Pythuna

“The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
-- Albert Einstein
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 10, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »

Then again, I watch Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly and a myriad of other space-based shows/films with unabashed glee, enthusiasm and hope for the future.  Cheesy  These stories of exploring space, and the stories of us traveling through it are really inspiring and appealing to me.

Me too! If I had the ability to go to other planets without decades-long space travel... I would. My Paganism is more gods-based than earth-based - I use the Wheel of the Year festival cycle for convenience more than an actual connection to the seasons - and my home is with humanity, not with Earth. I don't know if my gods would change (though they seemed to make the jump from the Old to the New World just fine, so I suppose space is just a slightly bigger pond) but I adore the idea of finding new gods that humans haven't even conceived of yet.

As far as humans because "unhuman" in space... what little I've read about post/transhumanism has made me a fan. "To be more than human is to be human." I think the hallmark of our species is not that we're naturally strong or fast, or can see in the dark, or become camouflaged. It's our innovation and creativity.  To me, the gifts of sentience and sapience mean that I never stop looking for ways to improve myself and those around me. I think human can be a very encompassing term and that we'll adapt in whatever ways we have to in order to survive the challenges of space and other planets. I doubt this is going to happen any time soon, and it all depends on us not killing ourselves in war or ecological destruction first... but I view the future, and space, optimistically. The music of the spheres is out there in the black, and I'd give anything to hear it.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)