The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 01, 2020, 07:16:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2020, 07:16:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What to Study to Teach?  (Read 3159 times)
Neriandal Freit
Master Member
Last Login:May 22, 2011, 10:34:22 am
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Dancing under the moonlit stars

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 15, 2009, 04:24:27 pm »

Greetings all!

I felt that this could not wait any longer and wanted to start collecting, obtaining and using information as soon as possible! I stand a chance at forming a group at my college (IUPUC!) to try and inform people as to what a pagan is and (Gods willing) to have other religions speak theirs as well. I am going to wait about a year until I do this; however, I'm looking to begin gathering more info on what a pagan is...

No. I'm not a nub Tongue I know many of you have seen me post a thousand times (ok not that much.) however, I'm looking to get more information in case the day comes I'm going to be "attacked" by religion vs. religion scenario!

What am I going to college for and why am I doing this?

To be a (male!) Nurse. I plan on getting my masters and later down the road, PhD in Nursing. On the same token, I find religion to be very important and have read countless things that involve what other families/cultures want done and I will be taking a few classes to "minor" in Religious Studies (although IUPUC or IUPUI does not have a minor for it Sad)  This is just another reason why I am seeking out suggestions, thoughts and book listings on "The history of..." so I can better understand too Cheesy

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 15, 2009, 05:10:12 pm »

I'm not really sure whay you are asking for... Embarrassed

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Adare
Master Member
Last Login:April 22, 2012, 07:10:16 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 15, 2009, 06:29:28 pm »

I felt that this could not wait any longer and wanted to start collecting, obtaining and using information as soon as possible!

This is just another reason why I am seeking out suggestions, thoughts and book listings on "The history of..." so I can better understand too Cheesy

A good start would be to search out threads and articles on the topics you would like more information about. Also, there are tons of book suggestions in the books and other resources section. It seems like anything that would be suggested for a newbie here would be suited to your situation as reference. It might help if you specified what you're looking for  Smiley

A great, accurate overview of Hecate (since she seems to come up a fair bit in general) is Robert Von Rudloff's Hekate in Ancient Greek Religion. Not too long, and very readable. Miranda J. Green's Celtic Mythis (Legendary Past) is a good, basic intro to Celtic mythology and worldview. Very short. Hope that helps  Cheesy

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
 -Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
Neriandal Freit
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 17, 2009, 01:10:06 pm »

I'm not really sure whay you are asking for... Embarrassed

What I felt that I was saying was I am looking for books that are informative, history'esk in nature in order to have a group here at college.
Keziah
Apprentice
Last Login:January 17, 2010, 12:05:04 pm

Religion: Unity

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 20, 2009, 07:29:06 pm »

How ambitious, and what a cool idea! I was part of an Interfaith group at my first college. My primary major was actually Religious Studies (emphasis on comparative), and I maxed out my credit hours on the subject, I love it so much! But I'm not too sure what you're wanting here. Books on the history of...paganism? Of all religions? Are you wanting in-depth, or a good overview? Are you wanting to approach it from the academic/scholarly perspective, or the everyday applications and how it's actually practiced? What about books on comparative religions?

Sorry for all the questions! It's just that if I can get a better feel for the angle you're wanting, I can tackle the shelves of my books we used in my religious studies classes.

No matter how much your heart is aching,
There is beauty in the breaking.
Neriandal Freit
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 20, 2009, 09:17:26 pm »

How ambitious, and what a cool idea! I was part of an Interfaith group at my first college. My primary major was actually Religious Studies (emphasis on comparative), and I maxed out my credit hours on the subject, I love it so much! But I'm not too sure what you're wanting here. Books on the history of...paganism? Of all religions? Are you wanting in-depth, or a good overview? Are you wanting to approach it from the academic/scholarly perspective, or the everyday applications and how it's actually practiced? What about books on comparative religions?

Sorry for all the questions! It's just that if I can get a better feel for the angle you're wanting, I can tackle the shelves of my books we used in my religious studies classes.

No, questions are good.

I'm unsure at time now. My life with college has go an entirely different direction. Ambassdor, student council, "president" of the newspaper and vice-pres. of the nursing club!!
Keziah
Apprentice
Last Login:January 17, 2010, 12:05:04 pm

Religion: Unity

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 20, 2009, 09:28:33 pm »

No, questions are good.

I'm unsure at time now. My life with college has go an entirely different direction. Ambassdor, student council, "president" of the newspaper and vice-pres. of the nursing club!!

Oh, no worries! I know how that goes, plans can change so quickly when in school. If you ever go back to that point where you're needing the sources, just let me know and I can dig out my old book lists or contact some of my old professors for you.

No matter how much your heart is aching,
There is beauty in the breaking.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)