The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2020, 01:31:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 01:31:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Does your tarot deck have a consciousness?  (Read 9388 times)
unbendingwill
Journeyman
Last Login:September 12, 2010, 09:34:04 am
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 17, 2009, 08:00:29 am »

I know this sounds like it should be on the divination board but I'm going to turn it into a philosophical debate I hope.  So to all you tarot heads out there, here we go.  I went to go ask the question of the tarot, what do you really think of me and at first it just gave me overall advice on my current situation.  Then I asked it again and got a little bit more along the lines of my question but still offering advice as if it had occ and couldn't help but give advice. 

I feel that each deck has it's on style and personality as to how it answers you.  When I was asking about my ex situation all of the time alot of the answers I was getting from the deck was that IT didn't want the info to hurt me.  Which shows care and concern and a certain amount of consciousness on the decks part to make that sort of statement.

So my questions are of card ethics and this does the tarot deck have a consciousness of it's own?  And if it does would you care to share your experiences with it showing it's personality, or consciousness towards you in any way?  How many times should on ask the same question of the deck before they should stop?  And feel free to share like I said any experiences you've had with questions like what does the deck think of me or anything along the lines of asking the decks opinion of you, your life, or it's personal opinion of the universe.  I don't think too many people think to ask so if you haven't try it out and get back to me on it because I will be and am fascinated by the subject! Shocked

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 17, 2009, 08:14:21 am »

As far as I can tell, my Tarot decks are just cardboard -- I provide all the consciousness.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: November 17, 2009, 08:21:05 am »

I do find different decks have different personalities, but I think that's something WE put on the cards, not the other way around.  It's how we interact with the pictures, how they speak to us.

That said, I can usually get a pretty good guess how I will interact with cards from simply looking at the pictures - I don't even need to USE them to get a good idea.  So a spirit wouldn't be able to do that.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 17, 2009, 09:19:34 am »

So my questions are of card ethics and this does the tarot deck have a consciousness of it's own?  And if it does would you care to share your experiences with it showing it's personality, or consciousness towards you in any way? 
My decks are just decks of cards, the only consciousness in them is what I put in there.  The artwork and images, and even the size and texture of the cards affect how I read and interpret them, and I certainly do have my favorite decks to work with (some are 'friendlier' than others, some cut to the quick sharper than others).  But it's all me.

How many times should on ask the same question of the deck before they should stop? 

Once. Continuously asking the same question of the same deck using the same spread is like going to fifteen different weather websites hoping that one of them will say it's going to be sunny on Saturday despite all of the forecasts predicting clouds and rain.

I will use different decks with the same question, as I get different interpretations depending on the deck I use.  And at times, different spreads with the same deck.  Sometimes it's good to try for a better perspective on the issue, look at it from multiple directions.  But at some point, you've just got to stop asking, take the advice you've been given, and move on to something else.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 17, 2009, 10:57:00 am »

So my questions are of card ethics and this does the tarot deck have a consciousness of it's own?  And if it does would you care to share your experiences with it showing it's personality, or consciousness towards you in any way?  How many times should on ask the same question of the deck before they should stop?  And feel free to share like I said any experiences you've had with questions like what does the deck think of me or anything along the lines of asking the decks opinion of you, your life, or it's personal opinion of the universe.  I don't think too many people think to ask so if you haven't try it out and get back to me on it because I will be and am fascinated by the subject! Shocked

I don't get a whole lot from my cards. I use quite a few divination techniques, and each one responds differently. My cards like to be elusive, and like to make me think about wth they're telling me. Usually, I can figure things out after a few spreads (sometimes I think I'm just not using the right spread, or asking the right questions). However, as for a personality, I'm not sure that there is one. If there is, I'm not good at describing it Tongue

Now you want personality, my dowsing rods are jerks to me (srsly).

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Adare
Master Member
Last Login:April 22, 2012, 07:10:16 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 17, 2009, 01:58:23 pm »

I do find different decks have different personalities, but I think that's something WE put on the cards, not the other way around.  It's how we interact with the pictures, how they speak to us.

I would agree with this, but I also think it has to do with the artist who created the cards, and in some cases the person they worked with, such as with the Fey Tarot which has an artist who didn't know tarot (Mara Aghem) working with a tarot consultant (R. Minetti ). He-ey, kind of like Rider-Waite and Smith Cheesy

Naturally a lot of their personality is in the cards, and in the interpretations if you use the deck's book for reference. It adds an additional filter on top of what we bring to the cards.

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
 -Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 17, 2009, 02:23:49 pm »

As far as I can tell, my Tarot decks are just cardboard -- I provide all the consciousness.

If this was Face Book, I would click "like" on this.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 17, 2009, 07:53:46 pm »

So my questions are of card ethics and this does the tarot deck have a consciousness of it's own?  And if it does would you care to share your experiences with it showing it's personality, or consciousness towards you in any way?  How many times should on ask the same question of the deck before they should stop? 

Eh, they're cards. Each of my decks has its own unique 'flavor', though. If I or the person I'm reading for want earthy, practical, no-nonsense or beating-around-the-bush advice I pull out my N'Awlins Voodoo deck. If I want things to be a little sinister and have the flavor of the Left Hand Path, then it's the HP Lovecraft deck (it's useful, sometimes, to be one step ahead of everyone else). If I'm doing light, frilly bachelorette party stuff, I have numerous erotic decks.

Honestly, though, my cards are not spiritual entities. It's my perception of each deck - how it feels, how it smells after years of incense and oil and handling, the artwork - that flavors each one's personality and style of reading.

I've learned that when I do readings for other people, if I've read for the same person several times, I get frustrated with them if they do not take the advice offered by the cards or, even if they don't take the cards' advice, make any changes in whatever situation they're involved in, but keep asking the same thing over and over again. It's like the time-honored definition of insanity: when you perform the same actions over and over again expecting different results each time. I actually had to stop reading for other people because my own emotional response started creeping into the readings, with the pronouncements getting more & more dire each time. When I read for myself, I know there are things I need to change - but aren't going to change - and I just don't ask about them. And if the cards bring it up, I ignore it Tongue

Allati
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 15, 2012, 06:51:13 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox and eclectic pagan
TCN ID: Allati

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 17, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »

So my questions are of card ethics and this does the tarot deck have a consciousness of it's own?

That I can tell, mine don't. Gods and Goddesses speak directly through mine, but the cards themselves are just a medium that they manipulate or partially inhabit. I have a non-deity deck, that seems to have more 'personality', but I don't have enough experience with it to really say whether I think it has a conciousness, or a spirit living in it, or whether it's just the energy of the art, of the intention of the makers, or even of my associations of the art.

I do believe spirits can inhabit things, 'netjeri' Kemetic Orthodoxy calls them. Including tarot decks. But I'm not sure if that's the same thing as the cards themselves having conciousness.

How many times should on ask the same question of the deck before they should stop?

Once. If you were genuinely confused, a "I don't understand, can you expand on that?" card/reading can be pulled to follow up, but that's really it, I'd say. And if you do the full follow up reading, rather than just a card (I always do never really do spreads), I'd leave some time to think over the first reading before attempting the second.

It's just, the answer is the answer, generally. Tarot decks aren't parents, to be asked over and over until they give in Tongue That's not really the idea behind divination.

Henytenwepwawet
Caedo
Apprentice
Last Login:February 12, 2011, 04:12:30 pm

Religion: Animist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 17, 2009, 09:10:28 pm »

I feel that each deck has it's on style and personality as to how it answers you.  When I was asking about my ex situation all of the time alot of the answers I was getting from the deck was that IT didn't want the info to hurt me.  Which shows care and concern and a certain amount of consciousness on the decks part to make that sort of statement.

So my questions are of card ethics and this does the tarot deck have a consciousness of it's own?  And if it does would you care to share your experiences with it showing it's personality, or consciousness towards you in any way?

I think inanimate objects have personalities of a sort.  Usually, in my experience, this falls short of sentience and doesn't even begin to approach actual intelligence.  My personal belief is that objects, like people, have an identity that is based on the sum of their past experiences.  The older an object is, or the more intense its "life" has been, the greater its influence will be on its environment.  The nature of its experiences will determine the type of influence it will have...or so I believe.

Speaking specifically of tarot decks, I have one that I bought 10-12 years ago.  From the moment I took it out of the box, I was disappointed with it, so it has languished unused in drawers and on shelves in dank basements and dark closets.  This neglect and disapproval probably hasn't had a positive effect on it, and I would expect it to be (passively) hostile.  If I were to ask it what it thought of me, it would probably have some really nasty things to say. Smiley
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 17, 2009, 09:32:34 pm »

I am with Allati.  I believe that the Gods can speak to me through the Tarot, but I don't think they need a special deck with a specific "consciousness" to do that.  If the Gods are determined to give me signs, they'll use whatever is available.  

At the same time, I have anecdotal stories of decks that "don't like me".  There are friends who laugh every time I ask them for a reading because they know it's going to be a train wreck if I use their deck.  But that might be because I tend to look for bad signs in certain decks, in certain situations, because I've trained myself to see them.  In another situation, I might have a much more positive take on the reading.  

I believe it's possible for cards to have energies about them, especially if someone uses them enough.  But I don't think that's the same thing as them having a mind of their own.  Perhaps if someone uses a deck long enough they become more "attuned" to it, but if there is some "consciousness" in my cards, it's probably an extension of what I put into it. 

How many times should on ask the same question of the deck before they should stop?  And feel free to share like I said any experiences you've had with questions like what does the deck think of me or anything along the lines of asking the decks opinion of you, your life, or it's personal opinion of the universe.  I don't think too many people think to ask so if you haven't try it out and get back to me on it because I will be and am fascinated by the subject! Shocked

For me, the whole premise behind tarot reading is that throwing down cards gives the universe a chance to send me a message.  It's based fundamentally on the idea of synchronicity.  So, while I do not believe that cards have an inherent consciousness of their own, I do believe there is someone trying to tell me something.  It would be rude for me to keep asking the same question again just because I didn't like the answer.  Rude, and not useful. Why do divination if I've got it in my head that I already know the answer?
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 18, 2009, 08:40:21 pm »

For me, the whole premise behind tarot reading is that throwing down cards gives the universe a chance to send me a message.  It's based fundamentally on the idea of synchronicity.  So, while I do not believe that cards have an inherent consciousness of their own, I do believe there is someone trying to tell me something.  It would be rude for me to keep asking the same question again just because I didn't like the answer.  Rude, and not useful. Why do divination if I've got it in my head that I already know the answer?

This.

For me, my deck is a way for me to sort out my own thoughts by applying them.  It actually doesn't really matter what cards come up - when I apply my take on the situation to the cards, I better understand what my take is.  I use them when confused about a situation.  It's more about understanding myself than seeking true answers about the universe.

My deck, however, does seem to generate rather abrupt answers, answers that boil down to the basic idea of "suck it up and stop whining" or "why are you worried, again?" or "You're overthinking.  Stop."  Buuut that might be just my strange sense of humour  Wink .

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 18, 2009, 09:51:37 pm »

So my questions are of card ethics and this does the tarot deck have a consciousness of it's own? 

Yes they have.  Mind called me to it.  It was in a magic store, under a bunch of the same type decks. it's a (Rider-Waite/Colman-Smith) Deck.  It was a 1/2 hour walk to get to the store.

When I didn't like what it showed, after the 2nd or 3rd reading, it would start showing me the Fool, if I took the Fool out it would show me Death, if I persisted it would show me the Tower. I finialy took the hint.

Currently I haven't seen my deck for a couple of years.  This is the longest I've been out of touch with it.

As I told one reader, I know the answers to the questions I would ask.  Tarot knows that, and when I have a question to ask that I don't know the answer to it will turn up.

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
unbendingwill
Journeyman
Last Login:September 12, 2010, 09:34:04 am

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 22, 2009, 02:16:10 pm »

Yes they have.  Mind called me to it.  It was in a magic store, under a bunch of the same type decks. it's a (Rider-Waite/Colman-Smith) Deck.  It was a 1/2 hour walk to get to the store.

When I didn't like what it showed, after the 2nd or 3rd reading, it would start showing me the Fool, if I took the Fool out it would show me Death, if I persisted it would show me the Tower. I finialy took the hint.

Currently I haven't seen my deck for a couple of years.  This is the longest I've been out of touch with it.

As I told one reader, I know the answers to the questions I would ask.  Tarot knows that, and when I have a question to ask that I don't know the answer to it will turn up.
It shows some sort of personality towards you by showing you the fool, then death, then the tower, doesn't that say that there might be some for of consciousness?  Or how about when you don't have a questions but maybe somewhere in the subconscious you do, for it to have the power to tap into that says that it has it's own energies, at least to me it does.  Or how about when you dont' have a question and it still gives you a relative answer that relates to your life?  I've had my deck tell me in not so many words that it doesn't want to hurt me with certian information, which to me says that it has some sort of thought patterns and emotions at least. 

But most of you tend to agree that it does seem to have a personality of it's own.  Nehet even went as far as to say that the deck didn't like him which suggest personality.  And if you can admit that each deck (which I have found to be true) has it's own personality why not consciousness?
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 23, 2009, 12:57:32 am »

It shows some sort of personality towards you by showing you the fool, then death, then the tower, doesn't that say that there might be some for of consciousness?  Or how about when you don't have a questions but maybe somewhere in the subconscious you do, for it to have the power to tap into that says that it has it's own energies, at least to me it does.  Or how about when you dont' have a question and it still gives you a relative answer that relates to your life?  I've had my deck tell me in not so many words that it doesn't want to hurt me with certian information, which to me says that it has some sort of thought patterns and emotions at least. 

But most of you tend to agree that it does seem to have a personality of it's own.  Nehet even went as far as to say that the deck didn't like him which suggest personality.  And if you can admit that each deck (which I have found to be true) has it's own personality why not consciousness?

I believe my deck does have a consciousness.  It determines when it will interact with me.  There were times it would keep intruding until I did a reading.  With the result that my thoughts would head down a unexpected  path.  Times it keeps showing basically the same thing.  Times it won't let me find (see) it.  It has only asked me to let one other person use it once (I don't know what the outcome was).

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)