The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 07, 2021, 09:54:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2021, 09:54:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Crossing Pantheons  (Read 4483 times)
Christina89
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 11, 2010, 02:21:18 am
United States United States

Religion: I'm back to searching...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 24, 2009, 12:59:44 am »

I don't know if that's the best phrase, exactly. I'm just curious about people who have relationships with Gods/Goddesses from multiple pantheons.

Since I started in Paganism about a year ago, I've really only been focused on Greek deities, Poseidon being my patron God at the moment.

Recently though, I've been feeling drawn to energies of the Egyptian variety.

I've been looking into the various Gods and the ones that stand out are Isis, Bast, and Anubis.

I've managed to find a fair amount of information on the two Ladies, but Anubis seems to be shunning me? I don't know.

I suppose I'll figure out who I've been getting feelings from soon enough.

I'm really just wondering if there is a risk for any confliction from having relationships with deities from these two particular pantheons. The deities mentioned, in particular.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 24, 2009, 01:14:08 am »

Since I started in Paganism about a year ago, I've really only been focused on Greek deities, Poseidon being my patron God at the moment.

I've been looking into the various Gods and the ones that stand out are Isis, Bast, and Anubis.

I've managed to find a fair amount of information on the two Ladies, but Anubis seems to be shunning me? I don't know.

I'm really just wondering if there is a risk for any confliction from having relationships with deities from these two particular pantheons. The deities mentioned, in particular.

Do you mean Aset or Isis?  There are differences between the two of them in both their attributes and personalities.  In my experience and for other Kemetics as well, Aset does not like to share altar space with other deities.  YMMV.  I can not speak for Isis, however. 

There should not be a problem.  Historically, the Greek and Kemetic gods were worshiped together in Egypt. 

There is a syncretist group you may wish to look into: Neos Alexandria. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Christina89
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 24, 2009, 01:21:24 am »

Do you mean Aset or Isis?  There are differences between the two of them in both their attributes and personalities.  In my experience and for other Kemetics as well, Aset does not like to share altar space with other deities.  YMMV.  I can not speak for Isis, however. 

There should not be a problem.  Historically, the Greek and Kemetic gods were worshiped together in Egypt. 

There is a syncretist group you may wish to look into: Neos Alexandria. 

Oh, I meant Isis. Smiley I'm not familiar with Aset.

That's definitely something I'll remember for future reference though. I'd hate to make that mistake.

Neos Alexandria, hm? Google, here I come. Cheesy

My main reason for asking though is because I've heard that certain Gods/Goddess clash with eachother.

I want to be sure that there won't be any clashing between Bast and Isis or between Anubis and Poseidon, or anything else like that.
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 24, 2009, 10:17:51 am »

My main reason for asking though is because I've heard that certain Gods/Goddess clash with eachother.

I want to be sure that there won't be any clashing between Bast and Isis or between Anubis and Poseidon, or anything else like that.

There shouldn't be between Isis and Anubis; he is her adopted son. 

There shouldn't be any problem with Bast or Anubis or Bast and Isis either.  YMMV

I can't say about Poseidon. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 24, 2009, 10:21:09 am »

I know from my own experience, back when I was a Wiccan... you can't always choose a God and Goddess pair at random. Having say, Sekhmet as your Goddess and Pan as your God probably isn't going to work out too well. You can worship Sekhmet, you can worship Pan, but try making them act like a couple for the purpose of the Great Rite - nuh uh, ain't happening.

Within Vodou & Santeria, some of the lwa and orisha are jealous of one another & at odds, so you can't feed them at the same time, or try to have a ritual honoring both of them at the same time.

Generally, though, for many eclectics, having deities, spirit guides, totems, etc. from different pantheons isn't a problem - you just have to learn Who needs Their own space and time for your attention, and Who doesn't mind being given offerings communally, that kind of thing. Generally, if you have a good enough rapport with your deities, They'll let you know.

Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 24, 2009, 12:00:05 pm »

I don't know if that's the best phrase, exactly. I'm just curious about people who have relationships with Gods/Goddesses from multiple pantheons.

I suppose I'll figure out who I've been getting feelings from soon enough.

Usually I'd recommend that people don't mix pantheons, but there is a long history of Greco-Egyptian syncretism, so I think it can be done. Greek and Egyptian religious ideas can be very complementary to each other, it just has to be done responsibly.

I see Isis and Aset as different cultural understandings of the same goddess. Greeks equated her with Demeter, so she took on a gentler personality in the Greco-Roman world, but I think she is the same goddess in a different cultural context. "Isis" is just the Greek version of the name Aset, not a new goddess altogether.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: November 24, 2009, 12:05:16 pm »

I see Isis and Aset as different cultural understandings of the same goddess. Greeks equated her with Demeter, so she took on a gentler personality in the Greco-Roman world, but I think she is the same goddess in a different cultural context. "Isis" is just the Greek version of the name Aset, not a new goddess altogether.

From my years of being here at TC, I know that many Kemetics here will disagree with you.  Many have said that they have UPG that They are separate goddesses.  Then again, my dealings with Egyptian deities are limited to Set, so I don't have it on any sort of personal knowledge.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 24, 2009, 01:27:36 pm »

From my years of being here at TC, I know that many Kemetics here will disagree with you.  Many have said that they have UPG that They are separate goddesses.  Then again, my dealings with Egyptian deities are limited to Set, so I don't have it on any sort of personal knowledge.

This is a huge rift in the Kemetic world. Many think that Aset and Isis are different (in fact, there is a thread on it in the kemetic SIG). However, I personally view them as a different version of the same goddess. Much like how Osiris is to Asar, Anubis to Anpu, etc. But to each their own opinion.

I personally see nothing wrong with mixing pantheons, so long as you do it in the right way. Making sure that gods can "play nice" with one another, and that you worship them in a manner that they prefer, it seems to work.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: November 24, 2009, 02:00:22 pm »

This is a huge rift in the Kemetic world. Many think that Aset and Isis are different (in fact, there is a thread on it in the kemetic SIG). However, I personally view them as a different version of the same goddess. Much like how Osiris is to Asar, Anubis to Anpu, etc. But to each their own opinion.

See, it just proves that I don't pay as much attention to the Kemetic world as I should Wink Cheesy

I personally see nothing wrong with mixing pantheons, so long as you do it in the right way. Making sure that gods can "play nice" with one another, and that you worship them in a manner that they prefer, it seems to work.

I tend to agree.  It helps w/r/t Hellenic and Kemetic because those two cultures interacted with one another in antiquity so there is a good chance that the two pantheons may already know each other.  If it were Hellenic and Norse or Kemetic and Shinto then it would be a little bit more difficult.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Christina89
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 24, 2009, 10:01:37 pm »

I know from my own experience, back when I was a Wiccan... you can't always choose a God and Goddess pair at random. Having say, Sekhmet as your Goddess and Pan as your God probably isn't going to work out too well. You can worship Sekhmet, you can worship Pan, but try making them act like a couple for the purpose of the Great Rite - nuh uh, ain't happening.

Within Vodou & Santeria, some of the lwa and orisha are jealous of one another & at odds, so you can't feed them at the same time, or try to have a ritual honoring both of them at the same time.

Generally, though, for many eclectics, having deities, spirit guides, totems, etc. from different pantheons isn't a problem - you just have to learn Who needs Their own space and time for your attention, and Who doesn't mind being given offerings communally, that kind of thing. Generally, if you have a good enough rapport with your deities, They'll let you know.

Ah, ok.

I think I'm starting to understand better now.

I think for the most part, this is going to require me to learn a bit more about these particular deities before making any final decisions about how I should re-arrange my alter and things of that nature.

Thanks a bunch guys, this information has been great. Especially on the Kemetic side. ^^
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 25, 2009, 03:20:56 am »

I am mainly a Hades worshipper, but I also have a lot of dealings with Neith, who is one of the older Egyptian Deities. I have never had an issue with following both of these, but then I don't generally mix them together. But, when I have, I haven't had any conflicts (yet!). I also work with Hekate, Anubis, Cathbodua, Odin and a few others and I haven't encountered an issue, but again, I try to deal with one Pantheon at a time when I am working. I find that it can get a bit complicated if I try to 'mix and match' in a ritual. (Sorry, best phrase I can think of at the moment).

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)