The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2020, 12:27:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 12:27:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How About a Cauldron Technopagan Winter Solstice 2009?  (Read 12004 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: November 25, 2009, 11:39:23 am »

It's that time of year again, folks--time to discuss some holiday insomnia!

For those who don't know, a bunch of us stay up all night to celebrate the longest night of the year (the winter solstice) in the Northern Hemisphere--and we use the Cauldron as a touchstone for the evening, checking in during the long night, sharing our observations/thoughts/hallucinations, and encouraging each other to stay awake! (Those of you in the Southern Hemisphere are welcome too, to give us a taste of your summer solstice warmth)

Participation will be tough this year, since the solstice falls on a weekday--meaning that many will have to work the following day, making a true all-night fest impossible for them (unless they plan to call in sick the next day, like me!)...but that doesn't mean that folks can't pop in and out anyway, for the time they are awake. Heck, that's the way it's worked out anyway for many participants in the past when we've done this.

I'm proposing we do this on the night beginning Monday, Dec. 21, and ending the morning of Tuesday, Dec. 22 (which by my reckoning is the actual longest night). What do you guys think? Who's up for this? And should we have a theme? Any other ideas?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 25, 2009, 11:44:05 am »

For those who don't know, a bunch of us stay up all night to celebrate the longest night of the year (the winter solstice) in the Northern Hemisphere--and we use the Cauldron as a touchstone for the evening, checking in during the long night, sharing our observations/thoughts/hallucinations, and encouraging each other to stay awake! (Those of you in the Southern Hemisphere are welcome too, to give us a taste of your summer solstice warmth)

Participation will be tough this year, since the solstice falls on a weekday--meaning that many will have to work the following day, making a true all-night fest impossible for them (unless they plan to call in sick the next day, like me!)...but that doesn't mean that folks can't pop in and out anyway, for the time they are awake. Heck, that's the way it's worked out anyway for many participants in the past when we've done this.

I'm proposing we do this on the night beginning Monday, Dec. 21, and ending the morning of Tuesday, Dec. 22 (which by my reckoning is the actual longest night). What do you guys think? Who's up for this? And should we have a theme? Any other ideas?

I actually was thinking about posting this when I saw you did Cheesy

You know me, perpetual creature of the night so of course I will be around for at least part of the vigil.  The winter solstice has no religious significance to me but who am I to pass up a TC party?  Plus at least one staff member needs to be around to make sure things don't get too....sorry I can't finish that without bursting out in laughter Cheesy

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: November 25, 2009, 02:01:16 pm »

I actually was thinking about posting this when I saw you did Cheesy

You know me, perpetual creature of the night so of course I will be around for at least part of the vigil.  The winter solstice has no religious significance to me but who am I to pass up a TC party?  Plus at least one staff member needs to be around to make sure things don't get too....sorry I can't finish that without bursting out in laughter Cheesy

given im due wfh the next day, and can shift my hours up to suit if i have to I'll be around the early part of the UK night at least.

unless something else happens, but thats unlikely.

count me as a staff memebr who can even figure out what could possibly be to... for this place.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 25, 2009, 02:31:42 pm »

given im due wfh the next day, and can shift my hours up to suit if i have to I'll be around the early part of the UK night at least.

I'll be in Egypt from the 13th to the 28th, but I will be with everyone in spirit (I'll have to see if I can find some Pagans over there and celebrate-if not, I'll have a ritual on my own at the sea shore).

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 25, 2009, 02:50:23 pm »

I had a blast last year, so of course I'm up for it!  And, being a stay at home mom, I can just put the kiddies down for an early nap the next day.

Chocolate cake in a mug, anyone? Smiley
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: November 25, 2009, 03:01:25 pm »

Like past years, this is an "official TC event" and Chris (Altair) is "in charge".

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: November 25, 2009, 03:32:36 pm »

I'll be in Egypt from the 13th to the 28th

How cool is that! Sounds like a great adventure.

If you happen to get any Internet access on the 21st, drop by the "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2009" thread and tell us all about the trip, so we can live vicariously. Tales from Egypt should definitely help keep us awake

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: November 25, 2009, 03:59:06 pm »

Chocolate cake in a mug, anyone? Smiley

Which gives me an idea: Last year, our unofficial non-theme was storytelling around our cybercampfire. ("non-theme" because the thread is very free form, and folks participate in whatever way they like: updates, photos/artwork [within the board's specified limits, of course], poems, links to music, general musings, sleep-deprived ramblings...)

This year, how about a "non-theme" of the cyberfeast we'll share in the course of the night? (Since so many Cauldron threads devolve to food talk anyway.) In other words: RECIPES! After all, we'll have many hours of darkness in which to put them to the test.

If Folksymama's aforementioned and Cauldron-famous chocolate cake in a mug recipe, which she generously shared with us during last year's "Up All Night" celebration, is any indication, we should get some great stuff to fatten us up!

folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 25, 2009, 04:09:23 pm »

Which gives me an idea: Last year, our unofficial non-theme was storytelling around our cybercampfire. ("non-theme" because the thread is very free form, and folks participate in whatever way they like: updates, photos/artwork [within the board's specified limits, of course], poems, links to music, general musings, sleep-deprived ramblings...)

This year, how about a "non-theme" of the cyberfeast we'll share in the course of the night? (Since so many Cauldron threads devolve to food talk anyway.) In other words: RECIPES! After all, we'll have many hours of darkness in which to put them to the test.

If Folksymama's aforementioned and Cauldron-famous chocolate cake in a mug recipe, which she generously shared with us during last year's "Up All Night" celebration, is any indication, we should get some great stuff to fatten us up!

Sounds great!  I loved trying all the cake in a mug variations we came up with!  And baking (and eating) certainly does make the time go faster!
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 25, 2009, 06:46:06 pm »

So far as I can see, I'm free that night. Count me in. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: November 25, 2009, 06:48:30 pm »

I'm in, of course!  At that point in the week, I'm usually on a more day-oriented schedule (yes, I keep weird hours), so I'll either not be around for the whole thing, or will arrange things differently that week - I'd prefer the latter, since I really value this event, but I'll have to see what works best.

I like the non-theme of "recipes" - it seems very appropriate.

I'll note that this will be the third consecutive year we've done this, so (by my reckoning) this is when it'll become properly a Tradition.  Yay!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 25, 2009, 07:50:44 pm »

I'm in, at least for the first part of the evening and the dawn.  I usually need to grab a few hours of sleep to function the next day.

I love the recipe idea.

Betty
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 26, 2009, 03:07:10 am »

Good idea! I'll give Steve some ideas and he can post them for me-if I can get to a PC then I will definately be here, but if not I'll take loads of pictures and post them on here when I get back  Wink

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 26, 2009, 09:28:57 am »

Well I'm off work for all of Yule, but I haven't decided what I'm going to be doing.  Depends if I can find a virgin to sacrifice (do you know how hard it is to find a virgin in todays economy?)  I'll also be looking for kittens to BBQ.  If none of those pan out then maybe...
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 26, 2009, 11:56:38 pm »

Well I'm off work for all of Yule, but I haven't decided what I'm going to be doing.  Depends if I can find a virgin to sacrifice (do you know how hard it is to find a virgin in todays economy?)  I'll also be looking for kittens to BBQ.  If none of those pan out then maybe...

Did you save any Halloween Candy?  Smiley
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=10519.msg177416#msg177416

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)