The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 04:40:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 04:40:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Going through the motions  (Read 2910 times)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 12, 2007, 12:30:30 pm »

What do you do when religious ritual feels like going through the motions and there's no real point to it?

Have you ever had a "long night of the soul", and what happened when you came out the other side?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 12, 2007, 07:22:10 pm »

Have you ever had a "long night of the soul", and what happened when you came out the other side?
Alright, I'll be the first to put something out there. I'll try not to be too long-winded in my story.

Absolutely, I've had that experience.  I went through a very long night of the soul a few years ago.  In a nutshell and without making everyone cry, I lost my beloved one who was the first pagan that I connected with on a spiritual level (I had been a closeted solitary prior to this).  Because this was something we shared, I really had a hard time with spiritual matters after he passed, even after all the other hurts had healed.  I'd acknowledge my beliefs without acting on them in any meaningful way and I would not do anything formal (the last circle I cast was with my departed friend the night he passed).   I finally went into a spiritual shut-down and stopped practicing for a long period of time. 

Fortunately, for me, my deities didn't give up on me. A friend came into my life with very similar beliefs to mine and we'd talk about all things spiritual.  Our talks got me longing for that spiritual connection I'd felt before and helped bring me back into meaningful practice.  I'm not sure even today that she realizes just how much she helped without ever uttering a single word of advice. I emerged on the other side with a faith stronger than ever, a new relationship with my deities, a sense of release, and a best friend who is sister and soulmate.  Happily, there have been no more dark nights, even when I've felt my faith was being put to a test.

Tirah
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 04, 2008, 08:46:29 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 12, 2007, 09:03:57 pm »

What do you do when religious ritual feels like going through the motions and there's no real point to it?

I went through this several years ago.  I started to feel self-conscious and ridiculous dancing around and waving my hands in the air.  I started to feel like I was only doing it for the dramatic effect.  So I stopped, not practicing just the rituals.  That's when I began simply having deep meditations with a candle and incense and I began to reconnect spiritually.  Now I rarely have rituals.  Every now and then I'll have a celebration (music, drumming, dancing, etc.), but my actual ritual observances are now only me, a candle, incense, and the goddess or god I'm honoring.

Why conform to society when you can reform society?
---Tirah Dragonsong

Discovering My Path: http://tirah.livejournal.com
elizwrite
Apprentice
Last Login:December 09, 2012, 09:06:52 pm

Religion: pagan

Elizabeth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 12, 2007, 10:09:27 pm »

Keep doing it, because when you come out on the other side, you'll be glad you did.  <g>  I speak from experience, lol.  There have been days when that was the only familiar bit of routine I had, and, while my head wasn't in it, my heart still was, deep down, and when things were better, I was happy that I hadn't given up on that. 

Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 13, 2007, 12:22:24 am »

I find when I just can't feel the ritual it's usually because I need my energies focused elsewhere.  Usually I need to either just meditate, or I have some sort of drain on my physical energy that is drawing away from my spiritual energy.

Ana

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 13, 2007, 10:21:44 am »

Keep doing it, because when you come out on the other side, you'll be glad you did.  <g>  I speak from experience, lol.  There have been days when that was the only familiar bit of routine I had, and, while my head wasn't in it, my heart still was, deep down, and when things were better, I was happy that I hadn't given up on that. 

This is how I am, every once in a while I'll have a day or so when I really don't feel like doing my devotions. I do them anyway, but it feels like I'm just not in it. I've never had a really long period of this.

I actually had the sort of opposite, where spiritually I was really growing and changing, and physically I was just *not* there. Mentally, emotionally, physically I was depressed and ill. But spiritually I was growing, and my spirituality was the only thing that got me through the physical issues I was facing.

I went through this several years ago.  I started to feel self-conscious and ridiculous dancing around and waving my hands in the air.  I started to feel like I was only doing it for the dramatic effect.  So I stopped, not practicing just the rituals.  That's when I began simply having deep meditations with a candle and incense and I began to reconnect spiritually.  Now I rarely have rituals.  Every now and then I'll have a celebration (music, drumming, dancing, etc.), but my actual ritual observances are now only me, a candle, incense, and the goddess or god I'm honoring.

I always do my rituals in the way you described; you're not alone. I feel absolutely ridiculous doing the "standard" rituals, or even speaking out loud. I found ways around that and now, I simply don't do it that way. :p

ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 15, 2007, 12:20:56 pm »

When I hit those points, I tend to give myself a break.  I have a habit of working really hard on something, concentrating and pushing at it until I'm just sick to death of it and questioning everything.  So I wander off for a bit - read stupid romance novels and stick my head in the sand.

Usually within a few days, or weeks depending on how exhausted I am, something will move my soul.  A piece of music, or a flower, or just a friend reaching out to me and I'll pick up again.  Not necessarily where I was before, maybe steps backwards or even on a different path, but spirituality will come back into my life.
Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 31, 2007, 01:50:46 am »

I'm just coming out of something like that right now.

Once upon a time, I used to try very hard to pray to all my six gods at once on near the beginning of the month at the stroke of midnight. Not because I had researched it or anything, it just was because it was. Overtime, I got lazy and started doing this once every other month...then once whenever I'd remember...I always felt bad that I didn't keep it up, but I figured it was my ritual, I'd do it when I wanted.

I found, though, when I stopped completely, that that was when my doubts would erupt with more force than usual. But, aside from a brief bout with atheism, I managed to keep on trucking in a less formal, more "peaceful state on the bus" kind of thing.

I love that my faith is so portable now, but I want to get back into ritual again. Who knows, maybe it's cyclical.
Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 31, 2007, 01:52:59 am »

but my actual ritual observances are now only me, a candle, incense, and the goddess or god I'm honoring.

You see, that's why I need this place. Just as I was reading that, I got a semi-exasperated "Hmm...maybe that's what you need." from TPTB. Grin
Feisty Dreamer
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2007, 07:36:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: I'll let you know when I do

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 18, 2007, 06:24:55 pm »

I've definitely felt this way on a few different occasions, times when I seriously wondered why I was doing what I was doing, if I actually believed what I was trying to practice, and if I wasn't just possibly totally nutty.

For me most of these unpleasant events were an announcement that what I was doing just plain wasn't working and I had to stop the spiritual shoehorning. At least once however it was an indication that something was wrong in the non-spiritual sphere and I should stop trying to ignore that problem by focusing on religion as a smoke screen.

I got through most of my "long nights" through radical change, I discarded ideas and practices that really didn't work for me, searched for new ones that did, and through this process I think I've gradually gotten closer to where I belong (even if it's not where I thought I should be), and this has helped me have fewer of those periods of doldrums.

Getting out alone into nature is another way I've found to break out of the long night. I find the uncertainties of over thinking an idea, the self-consciousness that comes from believing something out of the mainstream and the personal doubts don't stand up well out there, the trees and the sky are immune from spiritual confusion and I think that rubs off a bit.  Smiley 

The boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell.
- Terry Pratchett, Good Omens

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)