The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 24, 2020, 05:03:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 05:03:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cookie Recipe Swap  (Read 21074 times)
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 30, 2009, 05:49:37 pm »

Hmm.  Maybe I'm thinking of something else, then.  I thought the ones I had while in England were whole-wheat.

Sperran

What you described sounded like British Digestives to me. Canadian ones must be different.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: November 30, 2009, 06:19:00 pm »

ok, my recipe doesn't require rolling.

Oven at 400. 2 cups flour, 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tbsp cornstarch.  cut the butter into the flour, add the sugar and cornstarch and press into an 8 inch  cake pan or press into a circle on a baking sheet.  prick with fork.  bake for 20 minutes, then until slightly brown around the edges. immediately make the lines for breaking, then cool 10 minutes, and dump out.  I've never had a batch actually get cold unless i stood over it and prevented people eating it.

I think I'm going to have to try this one again. Are you sure about the 20 minutes? I got slightly browned edges, and the top looked good. Cut fine, but after the 10 minute wait when I turned them out they seemed very doughy. They haven't completely cooled, so perhaps they'll firm up. Hmmmmm....

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 30, 2009, 07:17:03 pm »

I think I'm going to have to try this one again. Are you sure about the 20 minutes? I got slightly browned edges, and the top looked good. Cut fine, but after the 10 minute wait when I turned them out they seemed very doughy. They haven't completely cooled, so perhaps they'll firm up. Hmmmmm....

You might have to cook them up to 30 minutes.  The main thing you want is them not to be brown all over the top.  If they are hard in the oven, they will be impossible to eat cool.  and just in case, do not use margarine or shortening, it needs to be butter in this recipe.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: November 30, 2009, 08:18:54 pm »

You might have to cook them up to 30 minutes.  The main thing you want is them not to be brown all over the top.  If they are hard in the oven, they will be impossible to eat cool.  and just in case, do not use margarine or shortening, it needs to be butter in this recipe.

OK. Up to 30 it is. Smiley

It's been years since I made shortbread, and those were cookies, not wedges.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 30, 2009, 08:32:57 pm »

OK. Up to 30 it is. Smiley

It's been years since I made shortbread, and those were cookies, not wedges.

watch it careful while you do the after 20, it can get hard quick.  I think it depends on the oven. 

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: November 30, 2009, 08:44:41 pm »

watch it careful while you do the after 20, it can get hard quick.  I think it depends on the oven. 

I've changed the pan out and am using a darker one. The top and edges of the first one were fine, but the bottom wasn't brown. So I'll try this one at 20 and see what the story is then. If it needs another minute or two, no problem. I've got sugar cookies that go from nicely browned to hockey pucks if you're not careful, so I'll be watching this.

Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: November 30, 2009, 08:48:12 pm »

I've changed the pan out and am using a darker one. The top and edges of the first one were fine, but the bottom wasn't brown. So I'll try this one at 20 and see what the story is then. If it needs another minute or two, no problem. I've got sugar cookies that go from nicely browned to hockey pucks if you're not careful, so I'll be watching this.

Shortbread isn't really supposed to be brown anywhere. 20 minutes is usually about right for my recipe which is pretty similar to the one we're talking about here (I don't have it in front of me but I think it's pretty much identical).

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: November 30, 2009, 08:52:33 pm »

Shortbread isn't really supposed to be brown anywhere. 20 minutes is usually about right for my recipe which is pretty similar to the one we're talking about here (I don't have it in front of me but I think it's pretty much identical).

I don't think brown was the right word to use. Light tan? Light gold? Let's settle for "I know it when I see it."

The bottom, though, looked unbaked. It didn't even have the right feel to it...if that makes sense.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #23: November 30, 2009, 09:30:06 pm »

This one's one of those old family recipes.  To really do it right, you need one of these (or a variation thereon) as well as a regular rolling pin:
http://www.fantes.com/images/7640springerle.jpg

...And if you've got one, you probably already have a recipe to go with it.  Wink  But if you want to try it and don't have one/don't want to get one, I'd try cutting the dough into about 1.5x2-inch rectangles when the recipe talks about cutting along the lines left by the rolling pin.

Springerle

3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 lb (about 3.5 cups) powdered sugar
anise seed
additional powdered sugar for dusting

Combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.  In a separate bowl, beat eggs until light.  Beat in powdered sugar, then gradually add flour mixture.  Refrigerate dough and rolling pin for one hour.

Lightly grease cookie sheet and sprinkle with anise seed.  Dust board and rolling pin with powdered sugar.  Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick with regular rolling pin.  Then roll once, pressing firmly, with springerle rolling pin.  Cut with knife along lines and place on sheet 1/2 inch apart.  Leave exposed to air overnight.

Bake at 325 F for 15 minutes.  Store in a tight jar.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: November 30, 2009, 09:34:21 pm »

This one's one of those old family recipes.  To really do it right, you need one of these (or a variation thereon) as well as a regular rolling pin:
http://www.fantes.com/images/7640springerle.jpg

Ohhhhhhh I love these cookies. This is probably the one unitasking kitchen object I have ever lusted for.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #25: December 01, 2009, 03:15:47 am »

Hmm.  Maybe I'm thinking of something else, then.  I thought the ones I had while in England were whole-wheat.

You remember right Sperran. English digestives are made from whole wheat and the best ones are made by McVities and are covered in either dark or milk chocolate. My college was right next to one of their factories and you could smell baking biscuits all day!

The Canadian biscuits that are given to babies and toddlers are what we call rusks, usually by Farleys. I still love them now, I have no idea why. They can be chewed on as they are (probably because they melt in the mouth) or they can have hot milk poured on them to make a good food for babies.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: December 01, 2009, 03:48:41 am »

You remember right Sperran. English digestives are made from whole wheat and the best ones are made by McVities and are covered in either dark or milk chocolate. My college was right next to one of their factories and you could smell baking biscuits all day!

The Canadian biscuits that are given to babies and toddlers are what we call rusks, usually by Farleys. I still love them now, I have no idea why. They can be chewed on as they are (probably because they melt in the mouth) or they can have hot milk poured on them to make a good food for babies.

*Experiences an overwhelming desire for digestive biscuits and a mug of warm milk for dipping* Mmm...

Can you tell I have no food in the house? Cheesy *Checks watch* The groceries are set to arrive in between 3 and 5 hours. Gotta love freshdirect.

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #27: December 01, 2009, 10:54:52 am »

So the Canadian kind are those things the texture of a cheese doodle without the cheese.  Got it.

Sperran
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #28: December 01, 2009, 11:06:22 am »

*Experiences an overwhelming desire for digestive biscuits and a mug of warm milk for dipping* Mmm...

Can you tell I have no food in the house? Cheesy *Checks watch* The groceries are set to arrive in between 3 and 5 hours. Gotta love freshdirect.

I have to admit, I just bought some milk chocolate digestives whilst I was getting some groceries-couldn't resist, so I can now have a couple with a cup of tea. All better!

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: December 01, 2009, 11:11:42 am »

Since  I know a lot of us bake cookies and such for gifts and office parties (as well as to have on hand for personal munchies) at this time of year, I thought I would start a thread for you to post your favorite cookie recipes.
Rugala
Ingredients
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
2 cups flour
1 cup butter at room temperature
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup ground pecans
1 cup currants
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
12 oz apricot jam

Method

For dough: Combine cream cheese, flour, butter and 2 Tbsp sugar in processor or mixer and blend well. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Dust each with flour, shaking off excess. Roll each piece between sheets of waxed paper into 10" circle. Refrigerate 1 hour.

For filling: Combine pecans, currants, sugar and cinnamon in mixing bowl. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease baking sheets. Spread each circle of dough with apricot jam. Divide filling among circles, spreading evenly. Cut each into 12 wedges. Roll up each wedge from bottom to point.

Arrange on prepared sheets, point side down. Bake until golden, about 16-17 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool. Store cookies in airtight container.

Tips:
-Be sure to work on just 1 circle at a time and keep others refrigerated.
-Don't overdo the jam and cinnamon/pecan filling because they tend to overflow and will burn quickly on your baking sheets.
-Remove at once from the baking sheet to cool on racks when they turn golden brown on top.
- I prefer to use parchment paper on my baking cheets to prevent sticking and make clean up easier

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)