The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 22, 2020, 08:36:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2020, 08:36:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cookie Recipe Swap  (Read 21066 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: December 01, 2009, 01:28:07 pm »

ok, my recipe doesn't require rolling.

Man. I cannot get this one right. I'm to the point of thinking it's my oven. I've made three batches since last night (and yeah, I used margarine for two of them because I didn't want to waste the butter during trials), and each one of them are still uncooked in the middle. I think I'm going to have to give up. Sad

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #31: December 01, 2009, 01:52:52 pm »

Man. I cannot get this one right. I'm to the point of thinking it's my oven. I've made three batches since last night (and yeah, I used margarine for two of them because I didn't want to waste the butter during trials), and each one of them are still uncooked in the middle. I think I'm going to have to give up. Sad

This probably sounds like a daft question, but what kind of oven have you got? (Make/model/gas or electric etc). My oven is really annoying as it is fan assisted, but has to be a few degrees higher than the recipe states that it should be for that kind of oven when baking-if I'm roasting things the temp is spot on, but baking? Always a calculated risk....

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #32: December 01, 2009, 02:11:11 pm »

Since you are such an avid cook, you've probably already done this, but have you tried using an oven thermometer to check the oven's actual temp and to see if it has any hot or cold spots.  My oven is 25 degrees off, and tends to be much cooler near the bottom.
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: December 01, 2009, 02:16:29 pm »

Another thing you might try, is to press it a bit thinner in the middle. Not the best solution probably, but one I've used before to good results. Smiley

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: December 01, 2009, 03:31:22 pm »

This probably sounds like a daft question, but what kind of oven have you got? (Make/model/gas or electric etc). My oven is really annoying as it is fan assisted, but has to be a few degrees higher than the recipe states that it should be for that kind of oven when baking-if I'm roasting things the temp is spot on, but baking? Always a calculated risk....

It's gas and I've got an oven thermometer in there, too. It runs 10 degrees low once pans go in, so I compensate, and the thermometer has shown 400 steady.

I'm trying them again (this is a record for me), but I went out to Martha Stewart and found a similar recipe that bakes them at 325 for 50-55 minutes. If this doesn't work, I'm throwing in the towel. LOL

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: December 01, 2009, 03:32:47 pm »

Since you are such an avid cook, you've probably already done this, but have you tried using an oven thermometer to check the oven's actual temp and to see if it has any hot or cold spots.  My oven is 25 degrees off, and tends to be much cooler near the bottom.

Oh yeah. I put one in when the new oven came in. It's a permanent feature.

That's what's got me so perplexed. This shouldn't be happening.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: December 01, 2009, 03:40:14 pm »

ok, I can't do it today, but I will make some tomorrow to see if I can figure out what's going on from this end.

also, I know my sister does this at 425, and it works better for her, but before you waste the time, I'll see if I can replicate the problem. 

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: December 01, 2009, 03:58:45 pm »

ok, I can't do it today, but I will make some tomorrow to see if I can figure out what's going on from this end.

also, I know my sister does this at 425, and it works better for her, but before you waste the time, I'll see if I can replicate the problem. 

I appreciate it. I just took out this last batch (325/54 minutes) and while it's still hot, I'm seeing some raw streaks. Now that may change after it's had a chance to cool (just got them on a rack to cool not two minutes ago), so let me post back in here in 30 or so minutes.

mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: December 01, 2009, 06:07:08 pm »

I appreciate it. I just took out this last batch (325/54 minutes) and while it's still hot, I'm seeing some raw streaks. Now that may change after it's had a chance to cool (just got them on a rack to cool not two minutes ago), so let me post back in here in 30 or so minutes.

you've been lowering the temp and baking longer, or did I say 325 rather than 400?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: December 01, 2009, 06:17:36 pm »

you've been lowering the temp and baking longer, or did I say 325 rather than 400?

Nope. The first three  batches were done at 400. After the first one, I went to 25 minutes, but it began to brown, so I didn't want to leave it in longer.

This last batch I did for 54 minutes at 325. More done, but still not completely cooked (you can see a streak of raw dough running through the center of the wedge. The tops/bottoms/edges look great). So I took a half dozen wedges and put them back in the oven for a bit. Sort of hard to say at what point they started baking again because they went in cooled off some. That seemed to do the trick.

So tomorrow I'm going to start at 350 for 15 minutes, and then dial it back to 325 for 50 minutes. I want to watch that last time because I'm afraid they'll get too brown. And tomorrow's batch will go back to butter. I think this may have it. I'll let you know...and I'm pretty damned sure it's my oven, though I'm rotating the pan and have an oven thermometer in there.

Gee...I'm so dedicated. LOL

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #40: December 01, 2009, 06:53:08 pm »

Nope. The first three  batches were done at 400. After the first one, I went to 25 minutes, but it began to brown, so I didn't want to leave it in longer.

This last batch I did for 54 minutes at 325. More done, but still not completely cooked (you can see a streak of raw dough running through the center of the wedge. The tops/bottoms/edges look great). So I took a half dozen wedges and put them back in the oven for a bit. Sort of hard to say at what point they started baking again because they went in cooled off some. That seemed to do the trick.

So tomorrow I'm going to start at 350 for 15 minutes, and then dial it back to 325 for 50 minutes. I want to watch that last time because I'm afraid they'll get too brown. And tomorrow's batch will go back to butter. I think this may have it. I'll let you know...and I'm pretty damned sure it's my oven, though I'm rotating the pan and have an oven thermometer in there.

Gee...I'm so dedicated. LOL

You should have a job working for America's Test Kitchen.  Smiley

Sperran
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: December 01, 2009, 07:13:35 pm »

You should have a job working for America's Test Kitchen.  Smiley

Sperran

LOL...I'd just said that earlier to Randall.

I'm really wanting shortbread, but I didn't realize I was going to hijack the thread with my baking woes. Hopefully tomorrow will end it and we can go back to swapping recipes.

mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: December 02, 2009, 08:12:07 am »

LOL...I'd just said that earlier to Randall.

I'm really wanting shortbread, but I didn't realize I was going to hijack the thread with my baking woes. Hopefully tomorrow will end it and we can go back to swapping recipes.

I will start baking as soon as I get back from taking the kids to school and the hubby to work.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #43: December 02, 2009, 08:42:42 am »

Another favourie in my family has always been Brandy Snaps-I have no idea why they are called this, but they do taste gorgeous!

You will need:

50g (2 oz) Butter
50g (2oz) Caster Sugar
2 tbsp Golden Syrup
50g (2oz) Plain Flour
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract

Makes 12

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/ Gas mark 4. Grase 2 baking sheets.
Put the butter, sugar and syrup into a heavy based saucepan and melt together over a gentle heat. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.
Sift the flour and ginger into the butter mixture. Add the vanilla extract and mix togethyer well.
Spoon teaspoonfuls onto the greaded baking sheets, making sure that you leave a 10cm (4 ins) gap between each to allow them to spread out.
Bake for 7-10 mins or until biscuits are bubbling and golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1 minute.
Loosen the biscuits from the baking sheet with a palette knife and quickly roll around the handle of a wooden spoon. Gently twist the brandy snap off the spoon handle and put on a wire rack to set. (If a brandy snap sets before you can wrap it around the spoon handle, just return it to the oven for 1 minute to warm through.

To serve, I usually get a piping bag, fill it with either whipped cream or creme anglais (set custard-just in case you didn't know) and pipe into the biscuits. I've never manged to get them to last until they are completely cold, but they are still as good even if they are still slightly warm. They always look as though they are intensely difficult to make because they look so delicate, so just sit there and look smug as all the compliments come flooding your way!  Wink

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: December 02, 2009, 11:31:29 am »

I will start baking as soon as I get back from taking the kids to school and the hubby to work.

hokey, I think I might know what is going on.  My definition of raw is different than yours.  I baked at 400 for 30 minutes, I'm going to try my sister's 425, but mine is exactly how I expected to be.  And it is less baked in the center, but not fall apart raw.

I'll let you know in another hour.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)