The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 24, 2020, 05:56:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 05:56:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cookie Recipe Swap  (Read 21075 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #45: December 02, 2009, 11:35:41 am »

hokey, I think I might know what is going on.  My definition of raw is different than yours.  I baked at 400 for 30 minutes, I'm going to try my sister's 425, but mine is exactly how I expected to be.  And it is less baked in the center, but not fall apart raw.

I'll let you know in another hour.

That would explain it. Let me know about that 425 because that might do it.

What I found, as I expected, that once that shortbread I baked for 50 minutes chilled, it hardened a whole lot. Now, not having lower teeth will be a problem with most cookies, but even dunked in milk I didn't get much improvement. So I think the longer time at a lower temp is out.

If you get good results at 425, I'll try that...with butter this time. I also sprayed my pan with floured PAM and that helped release, so that's good, but the first batch I baked was definitely not done regardless of the type of PAM I used. Smiley

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: December 02, 2009, 11:59:25 am »

That would explain it. Let me know about that 425 because that might do it.

What I found, as I expected, that once that shortbread I baked for 50 minutes chilled, it hardened a whole lot. Now, not having lower teeth will be a problem with most cookies, but even dunked in milk I didn't get much improvement. So I think the longer time at a lower temp is out.

If you get good results at 425, I'll try that...with butter this time. I also sprayed my pan with floured PAM and that helped release, so that's good, but the first batch I baked was definitely not done regardless of the type of PAM I used. Smiley

I have never gotten a good batch with margarine.  there is no way to make this nondairy.  You just can't.  I have good results melting the butter, then mixing the other stuff in, but my sister would never do it that way.  I just did my 400 batch on an ungreased not nonstick pan and it plopped right out at 10 minutes cool.  Just stuck the 425 batch in.  let you know in a half hour.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: December 02, 2009, 12:40:30 pm »

I have never gotten a good batch with margarine.  there is no way to make this nondairy.  You just can't.  I have good results melting the butter, then mixing the other stuff in, but my sister would never do it that way.  I just did my 400 batch on an ungreased not nonstick pan and it plopped right out at 10 minutes cool.  Just stuck the 425 batch in.  let you know in a half hour.

425 for 20 comes out much darker on the outside, and very light on the inside.  I wouldn't go any longer on it, it will burn the outside.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #48: December 02, 2009, 01:06:19 pm »

425 for 20 comes out much darker on the outside, and very light on the inside.  I wouldn't go any longer on it, it will burn the outside.

OK. I will give this a shot. And I know what you mean about the margarine. This recipe has to have butter, but since I knew it was a multiple test to get the back time right, I decided to hold off on the good stuff until I could get it right.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Willowe
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 21, 2011, 01:30:26 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: December 08, 2009, 06:00:09 pm »

Since  I know a lot of us bake cookies and such for gifts and office parties (as well as to have on hand for personal munchies) at this time of year, I thought I would start a thread for you to post your favorite cookie recipes.

So, per order of mandrina, I have a couple recipes to post. Sadly, I can't seem to find the recipe for pumpkin drop cookies but I'll post two or three others in the meantime. (I also have recipes for snicker doodles, ginger snaps, and peanut butter cookies if anyone wants those.)

Butter Cut-Out Cookies
Probably not the healthiest, but they're SO good! Cheesy

1 cup butter
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix the ingredients. Roll in wax paper and let it sit overnight in the fridge. In the morning, roll it out and cut out cookies. Bake at 350 degrees until golden-brown (shouldn't take too long, but I don't have an exact time).

No Bake Cookies
More of an acquired taste. Some people find the cocoa/peanut butter/oatmeal mix to be strange but I love them!

1 stick butter
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Boil the above for about a minute. Add 1/2 cup peanut butter, 3 cups oatmeal, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and stir. Take it off the burner, drop onto a cookie sheet before it cools, and freeze it. Quick and easy, but if you leave them out too long the cocoa mix does start to melt.

Buckeyes
Just delicious, though I think technically these are candies and not cookies. Wink

Mix a box of confectioners sugar, 1 cup crushed graham crackers, and 1 cup coconut together. Melt two sticks of butter and pour over the mixture. Add 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter (preferably crunchy!). Mix thoroughly, roll into small balls, and place the balls on a cookie sheet.

Melt white chocolate and about 1 tablespoon shortening (edible paraffin wax can be used, at least according to my grandma, but I've always found the thought of eating wax to be a bit unappetizing). Dip the buckeyes into the mixture and refrigerate.
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: December 08, 2009, 10:52:37 pm »

So, per order of mandrina, I have a couple recipes to post.

oh wow, Someone did something I told them to.  I have four kids, this is an unusual experience for me.

Willowe
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 21, 2011, 01:30:26 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: December 09, 2009, 10:22:02 am »

oh wow, Someone did something I told them to.  I have four kids, this is an unusual experience for me.

Well, I'm one of three kids and over the years I've learned the hard way what happens if I *don't* listen to someone. Wink
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: December 09, 2009, 10:52:38 am »

Well, I'm one of three kids and over the years I've learned the hard way what happens if I *don't* listen to someone. Wink

I should qualify my original statement and add  "Without fuss."

Ritual House
Apprentice
Last Login:May 22, 2011, 01:25:19 am

Blog entries (0)

facebook.com/sudekum

Ignore
« Reply #53: May 03, 2011, 07:53:39 pm »

Since  I know a lot of us bake cookies and such for gifts and office parties (as well as to have on hand for personal munchies) at this time of year, I thought I would start a thread for you to post your favorite cookie recipes.

This is my variation on the original tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe. I melt the butter so that it will dissolve the sugar and make the cookies chewier, but up the flour so that they will be thicker and more substantial. I use Baker's chunks instead of regular chips because I'm a chocolate fiend and like them to be oozing when they come out of the oven, but I also triple the vanilla since that is really where that good cookie flavor is coming from, not the chocolate.

Ingredients

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup white sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 ½ cups flour
2 cups (one 12 oz package) Baker's® brand chocolate chunks

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 375° degrees.
2.Melt butter. Combine with salt and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Stir in white and brown sugar until evenly melted. Beat in eggs.
3.Sift in baking soda and flour, stirring until dough is evenly mixed.
4.Fold in chocolate chunks and chill for 30 minutes or until firm.
5.Bake in preheated oven for 14 minutes or until edges begin to brown.

Notes: Clean pan in cold water between batches. A hot pan will cause the cookies to spread thin and burn around the edges. Do not substitute margarine for butter. Cookies made with margarine will have a dense, crumbly texture instead of a soft, chewy one. As with any recipe which calls for vanilla extract, do not substitute with imitation vanilla extract. Aside from providing inferior flavor, imitation extract is not as strong and requires different measurements.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)