The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 01, 2020, 10:16:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2020, 10:16:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Ideas and Plans for The Cauldron's 13th Year  (Read 13253 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: November 30, 2009, 01:32:16 pm »

[The following first appeared in the December Newsletter. It is reposted here for discussion and comment. All comments and suggestions will be read and considered, but will not necessarily be adopted.]

The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum celebrates its 12th Anniversary on December 13, 2009 -- and that marks the start of our 13th year of operation. We have some big plans for our 13th year and want to share some of them with you. Of course, we can't promise that all these plans will become reality, but we are planning for them to become reality.

Web Site Redesign

Our forum has changed greatly over the years as we have moved to different platforms but our web site has not had anything major done to it in about 10 years. While it has received some minor updates over the years (e.g. reorganized left menus, changed from parchment-like background and colors to the current light blue), it hasn't received a complete redesign in a decade. It is badly +in need of a makeover. This will be our major project for 2010. It will be a long term project because over a 1000 pages will need to be converted by hand. Each old page will need to have its content recoded in modern HTML and CSS and placed into our new page template.

The new template will be standard across all the pages of our web site. Current plans are for it to have a narrow header bar across the top with a drop down menubar and a "breadcumb line" below that. The dropdown menu will completely replace the current huge left column menu. Just dropping the crowded left side menu will make TC's web site look much cleaner and less "busy". Next will be the content area. Most pages will have a large content area to the left and a right sidebar. A few pages will have both a left and a right sidebar. Other pages -- like the forum -- will not have any sidebars at all. Below the main page content will be the footer area. There probably be a row of three boxes with rss feeds and the like in them, followed by the footer proper with copyright info and the like.

Current plans have the entire site more integrated with our forum. For example, pages on magic will display links to current threads in magic oriented boards on the forum. Pages will know whether you are logged into the forum or not, etc. This will make the entire site revolve around our forum instead of the forum and the web site being two more or less separate things as they are now.

One thing that will NOT be considered at all: a dark page design. Dark letters on a light-color background are FAR easier to read than light-colored text on a dark background -- especially for our older members. And in spite of at least one joking suggestion, the revolving Cauldron graphic from one of our first web site designs back in 1998 will definitely not be making a comeback.

If you'd like to follow progress on the redesign, make suggestions, or even volunteer to help with graphics or the like, you can do so in this thread on our forum:

* Cauldron Web Site Redesign Discussion

Social Networking

We plan to continue to use and improve TCN (The Cauldron Network), our members only Ning social network. We also plan to create a page for The Cauldron on Facebook (and perhaps on a few other social networks). We have already started to use Twitter to announce new threads. Social networking will probably remain low key, but it now has a definite place in our plans for The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum.

We have come a long way since our abortive attempt to use kickapps a year ago. Then the Hosts had no idea what social networking was and selected kickapps solely on its ability to let members post unlimited pictures. In other words, we thought of it as little more than a free photo gallery for our members. We soon learned that our members were thinking of it as a social network and found it greatly wanting for that purpose. We switched to Ning midyear and our members love it. The Hosts still don't understand social networking all that well, but we are trying. With a lot of help from our members, we are apparently doing much better.

SMF 2.0 -- To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

We use Simple Machines Forum software to run our forum. The current branch of the software is 1.1.x, but the new 2.0 version is at release candidate 2 status now. We expect that the new 2.0 branch will go final sometime in 2010. When it does, we will have to decide whether to stay with our heavily modified version of the 1.1.x branch, try to upgrade our current forum to the 2.0 branch, or just close the current forum and open a new 2.0 one.

The easiest thing to do would be to stay with 1.1 -- at least until they stop doing security updates for it. Upgrading the current board and message base to 2.0 would be the best solution, however, it may not be possible as many of the features we use like member blogs come from very old user-written mods that probably will not exist for 2.0 -- ever. I'm not even sure that some of the database changes -- like for the Tinyportal feature or the Donor Subscriptions -- made by mods will carry over to the new 2.0 database if you upgrade it. And this probably will not be known until 2.0 Final comes out. The easiest "upgrade to 2.0" solution would be to make the current read only and start a new board using 2.0 and whatever mods are available for it (as we have done with three previous boards). However, the hosts and staff really do not to lose years of post from the active board yet again.

As you can see, we really have no idea of what the best solution will be, let alone what the best solution that works with the current database will be. However, with SMF 2.0 Final on track for a 2010 release, it is a decision we will probably have to face in 2010.

Do More with CauldronMUX

CauldronMUX is a fun way to chat in a text-based format where you can move around to different rooms, play with items, and even create your own stuff. Unfortunately, we do not do a lot with it. Now that we have a working Java client so that people to not need to download a special client program to use CauldronMUX, we really need to do more with it.

Getting Member Produced Content on the Web Site

Over the years, we have tried several methods for letting members add content directly to The Cauldron's web site: several wikis, tinyportal, Google Sites as subsites for our SIGs, an article section on the forum, etc. None have worked as members just do not use them. It does not seem to matter how easy (or hard) they are to use, they just do not get used. Unfortunately, we really need to come up with a way that people will use as the TC Webmaster no longer has time to manually add material members write to the web site -- and we really need member-written material to grow the web site.

The Hosts aren't sure what the solution is here, but finding one is up there with the site redesign in priority for 2010. We really need more member-produced content -- and members who produce it should not have to wait weeks (or even months) for the Webmaster to find time to manually create a web page for it and link it into the web site.

Book Reviews

This really ties into the "Getting Member Produced Content on the Web Site" problem. Years ago, one of the Hosts used to review 5 to 10 books and tarot decks a month. Then he got married and no longer had time to write reviews. There haven't been many book reviews posted to our web site in the last five years. We know a lot of our members buy and read new Pagan-oriented books, we just need to get some of those members to write reviews of the books they read and have a way they can put those reviews on our web site.

Staff Expansion

Most of our active staff members are currently focused on our message board as TC staff has always been. However, as we expand into things like TCN social networking and the like, we really need to find people qualified and active volunteers to act as staff in these new areas of The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum. We have talked about such an expansion of staff before and never really did anything to implement it. The one time we tried to create some non-board staff positions, no one was capable of actually handling the positions was interested in volunteering. This needs to change in 2010. We either need to find qualified volunteers to staff new features like TCN or we need to shut down the new features before we burn out the current staff.

The Newsletter

Our newsletter hasn't had a major change in years, either. As its irregular schedule the last two years shows, the Hosts no longer have the time to actually produce it every month, especially given how hard it is to get submissions for this newsletter. Getting articles out of members and newsletter subscribers is harder than pulling hen's teeth. We need to decide on the future of this newsletter in 2010. We have almost shut it down twice before, 2010 may be the year we actually do.

Summary

There you have it, an outline of some of our major plans for (and questions about) The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum in 2010. We've been around 12 years and we would like to be around another 12. What happens with The Cauldron this year may have a lot to do with deciding if that is even possible. If you have comments or suggestions (other than on the Web Site redesign which has it own thread metioned above), you can post them right here in this thread.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:18:42 pm by RandallS, Reason: Updated with actual text » Logged

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 30, 2009, 04:20:22 pm »

The first message of this thread has been updated with the actual text from the newsletter and this thread is now open for posting.  Apologies for any confusion doing things this way may have caused.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 01, 2009, 02:45:28 pm »

Getting Member Produced Content on the Web Site

Over the years, we have tried several methods for letting members add content directly to The Cauldron's web site: several wikis, tinyportal, Google Sites as subsites for our SIGs, an article section on the forum, etc. None have worked as members just do not use them. It does not seem to matter how easy (or hard) they are to use, they just do not get used. Unfortunately, we really need to come up with a way that people will use as the TC Webmaster no longer has time to manually add material members write to the web site -- and we really need member-written material to grow the web site.

My thoughts:

-Make it easy to get feedback from other members on TC.  I will go ahead and say that I find the possibility of my articles being on the site somewhat intimidating.   I want to write articles, but I don't want to submit them unless I'm confident that they're good articles.  I want to ask people for feedback but I don't want to put pressure on already busy staff members.  What about a SIG where  members could post articles, or even just a few paragraphs from articles, and anyone who had something to say could offer feedback?  Perhaps it could be the kind of thing where there was an understanding that anyone who posted on that thread offered constructive criticism given in a respectful manner.  There should also be an understanding that nobody should post an article without being ready for it to be ripped apart.  Kind of like the Newbie forums where anyone can post but there is an understanding that if they do post then they need to go easy on the beginners.  And like those forums, anyone not interested can easily ignore them.  Of course, a new SIG would have to be moderated and I know the staff are already taxed.  So I don't know if this is a good idea but there it is. 

-Give writers a free cookie. Something like a profile badge that says they contributed something.   I know it sounds cheesy but I suspect a lot of people want these things more than they admit. Plus, if writers have that kind of badge, then any time someone sees their post, other members are going to be reminded that the opportunity to write articles exists.  I decided to donate because I kept seeing people's donor badges and thinking "Oh yeah, I've been thinking about doing that..." 

Of course, there was also something like that for "full" members and it didn't do much. 
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: December 01, 2009, 02:54:18 pm »

What about a SIG where  members could post articles, or even just a few paragraphs from articles, and anyone who had something to say could offer feedback? 

You could probably do this in the Art, Poetry and Writing folder already.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #4: December 01, 2009, 05:52:36 pm »

Give writers a free cookie. Something like a profile badge that says they contributed something.

I think this is a good idea.

Sperran
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: December 01, 2009, 06:23:45 pm »

I think this is a good idea.

This is doable -- easily.  An article editing area MIGHT be possible, but it might be more troublesome than helpful, especially if someone submits an article of such low quality that suggestions for improvement would need to be "start over and try to get your facts right."

Randall
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 01, 2009, 09:49:15 pm »

This is doable -- easily.  An article editing area MIGHT be possible, but it might be more troublesome than helpful, especially if someone submits an article of such low quality that suggestions for improvement would need to be "start over and try to get your facts right."

There would inevitably be articles like that.  I think some kind of peer-review process is important if TC is going to start pushing people to write more articles. If people are writing more articles and submit them by way of a Wiki (or similar system), then there's no way of filtering through them to make sure they're actually useful.  Yes, a Wiki can be edited by anyone, but it might be months...hells, it might be years, before anyone notices a mistake. 

I think putting this kind of thing in the art/poetry/writing section might work.  The obstacle to that is that right now Cauldronites have the idea that this section is prose and poetry, rather than scholarly or educational writing.  It's easier to change the forum than to change people's habits.  Not saying it can't be done.  I just can't think of any way to do it at the moment. 

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: December 03, 2009, 12:44:51 pm »

I think putting this kind of thing in the art/poetry/writing section might work.  The obstacle to that is that right now Cauldronites have the idea that this section is prose and poetry, rather than scholarly or educational writing.  It's easier to change the forum than to change people's habits.  Not saying it can't be done.  I just can't think of any way to do it at the moment. 

The thing about it is that it's called Art, Poetry, and Writing.  The first two does give the impression that we're talking about fiction and not academic writing here Wink

I'm thinking of maybe a subforum in either Art, Poetry, and Writing or maybe in the Special Topic Discussions board?  I would not create a SIG for it because it might attract more people interested in fiction/poetry than in writing articles for TC.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: December 03, 2009, 12:51:39 pm »

I'm thinking of maybe a subforum in either Art, Poetry, and Writing or maybe in the Special Topic Discussions board?  I would not create a SIG for it because it might attract more people interested in fiction/poetry than in writing articles for TC.

I'd go subfolder of art/poetry/writing, myself.  Or we could just add an "Academic Writing" or "Nonfiction Writing" folder alongside the existing art/poetry/writing one.  (Either one feels a little odd in its own way; it feels odd to do a subfolder for one sort of writing without also doing subfolders for others, but then it feels odd to have "writing" and "academic writing" side by side too, as if academic writing is somehow not a part of writing.)  I don't think this is really the sort of thing Special Topics is there for, though.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 03, 2009, 12:54:28 pm »

I'd go subfolder of art/poetry/writing, myself.  Or we could just add an "Academic Writing" or "Nonfiction Writing" folder alongside the existing art/poetry/writing one.  (Either one feels a little odd in its own way; it feels odd to do a subfolder for one sort of writing without also doing subfolders for others, but then it feels odd to have "writing" and "academic writing" side by side too, as if academic writing is somehow not a part of writing.)  I don't think this is really the sort of thing Special Topics is there for, though.

It may be useful though to start out in Special Topic Discussions, and see if the interest is strong enough (aka enough people post articles in the thread) to warrant the creation of a sub-folder where workshopping articles can each be given their own threads.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 03, 2009, 09:08:39 pm »

...I will go ahead and say that I find the possibility of my articles being on the site somewhat intimidating.   I want to write articles, but I don't want to submit them unless I'm confident that they're good articles.

Therein may lie the previous problem of member-funded information. I know, personally, that I wouldn't mind adding articles but it's the daunting task of knowing that not only are you writing this for public consumption but anyone can use it. When you write something on your own, you can think of it as something that will never see the light of day again. However, when someone's writing an article for a website, you know it will be seen, dissected, and discussed. The previous problem of having members not assisting in adding content may have been solely based on their intimidation of the ramifications of adding the content to a public forum in the first place.

I can tell you honestly that would be my only problem in writing articles: It's not so much that I would want feedback from other members, but the knowledge that complete strangers may take my word to heart. And who the heck am I to tell anyone how to practice their faith or how to deal with negativity from other faiths/family members/whoever or whatever else may be submitted for use?

-Give writers a free cookie. Something like a profile badge that says they contributed something.   I know it sounds cheesy but I suspect a lot of people want these things more than they admit. 

I think that's a great idea, too.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 04, 2009, 01:51:43 am »

Put tactfully, this is sometimes what people need to hear. If we warn them up front and make it clear that vicious attacks aren't welcome it may not be too bad. Then there's always the strategy of taking a deep breath and starting in with something like "This didn't work for me. What were you trying to achieve?"

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 04, 2009, 01:55:23 am »

...some kind of peer-review process...

If we are to be a site that attracts well-grounded discussion and that focuses on the needs of established pagans over those of seekers and others new to their paths, peer-review offers a level of quality that is hard to find on other pagan sites. It may make some people unhappy, but it differentiates TC in the market. It has longer term potential as well. If TC articles become well respected, then referencing TC becomes acceptable, which then leads to an ongoing source of new memebers who are seeking the experience the hosts wish to offer.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 04, 2009, 02:00:17 am »

No opinion on the technology side of things, but a workable, conceptual split may be sharing vs. reviewing. One area where people just publish original material that they think others may enjoy and another where they put material that is out there for comment and critique. If the categories focus on the reason for posting, it may help to avoid the flood of fiction and the "oh, articles are allowed in there as well are they?" outcomes.

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 04, 2009, 02:15:56 am »

It may be useful though to start out in Special Topic Discussions, and see if the interest is strong enough (aka enough people post articles in the thread) to warrant the creation of a sub-folder where workshopping articles can each be given their own threads.

Alternatively (and just to see what comments it sparks), TC could decide to make a point of such a section. It could proactively encourage academics and others interested in critical review of their works to submit them here. It is a fairly unique pagan community in that it aims to meet the needs of practicing pagans, who are relatively established in their faith and who are interested in critical discussion and debate. Another of those points of differentiation that can lead to growth and sustainability in an enterprise Smiley

BGMarc at the Pub

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)